Cars Vandalized Tonight At Giants Stadium

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by MetroFever, Sep 25, 2003.

1. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Well, this might be the final nail in the coffin for me as far as attending any more future Metro home games at Giants Stadium:

After the match, I found my car with both of its' headlights ripped off with the hood and front grill dented to get it off (amateurs).

Ironically, someone who works for the MetroStars (Tim?) had an identical car parked several spots away from me and had the same exact thing happen to him. One of his family members told me that they had just picked up the car from the body shop today because the SAME thing happened to him at last week's game.

With $10 parking, you would think they would have the staff to patrol the parking lots, knowing that this is a problem. One of the NJSEA crew told me that 15 cars were vandalized the same way during one of the Nets games.

In addition to venting, I thought I would share my experience with other fellow MetroStar fans to beware.

2. Do you think his Highness George Zoffinger has this problem when he parks his car there? You're a Metro fan and he could care less. But if you complain enough, he'll raise the parking to $15.00 and increase security presence in Section 101.

3. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    I'm not a lawyer by any stretch of the imagination.., but isn't NJSEA legally responsible for this? It's not a public lot, nor is it street parking. By giving up ten bucks, that should be some type of contract. AND, you were never given any documentation saying that NJSEA waives any rights when you parked on their property.., RIGHT?
    Ask a shady lawyer ([sarchasm] shady lawyer in the NY-metro area, where?[/sarchasm]) or friend of a friend of a friend who's a lawyer to look into this.

If nothing else works, go after the Screaming Eagles and the DC Scum.., just because.

4. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    it's a damn shame if we lose more fans in the seats...bc NJSEA continues to treat us like $hit...i truly feel bad, which means zero to you, but i highly recommend being vocal about such occurences with reps, or mailing the team so it's taken into consideration when our new place is built..i personally am hoping that NJ Transit will get its act together, or at least provide a decent system for those of us going to Harrison

5. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    clearly it's a band of thugs stealing and selling them, and sadly crap like that is why Jersey's insurance rates are so ridiculous. Can't believe they've done the same thing in the same lot in repeated weeks and not been caught. We need a community watch or something.

I always thought the trick was to have a car so schitty that no one would want to steal something from it. Works for me...

Write a letter to the NJSEA. I think they likely have a sign somewhere under a rock that says that they aren't liable for whatever happens when you park there, but they do have security that drives around the lot. That security should be looking for these guys and shooting at them.

6. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a recent thing; my brother had his briefcase stolen from his car at one of the Bruce shows over the summer. The biggest problems are that (a) obviously, they don't have enough patrols to safeguard the lots, but also (b) they make it damn near impossible to fill out a police report after an event, like it's your fault that your car got broken into.

The NJSEA should be ashamed of themselves on this issue.

7. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year one of my friends came out after a game to find a full beer bottle had smashed the back window of his Mustang. At least the beer bottle didn't break.

8. Zealot

Zealot New Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Which lot did this happen in?

9. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a couple seasons ago a buddy of mine had his window shattered at a Nets game.

10. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    My two cents.

Put it in writing and send off to NJSEA and Metro office. Also find out the name of the firm that handles security.
    Nothing in writing, or even a ticket with boiler plate on the back, changes hands when you give the attendent your money to park. It is a reasonable expectation that the security force will watch over your car.

Stuff has happened in those lots over the years, but NJSEA will only deal with and acknowledge what it has to. A police report would have helped, pictures too.

You shouldn't have to create a METRO CSI crime scene to get reimbursed to replace the lights and do the bodywork. Follow up on the letter all the way up to the top of NJSEA and any other office. Keep pushing till they make good on what they rightfully owe.

FYI - Fact : less then 15% of people even question insurance claim issues and far less than that bother to fight it. Corporations count on you giving up your rights.

11. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    I was parked in the same lot and noticed both cars with the headlights missing... this has been a big problem lately, mostly with Nissans and Acuras. The HID lighting systems that these cars come with are extremely popular amongst the youth.

An aftermarket HID system kit sells for any where from $400- $700, so guys go around stealing these headlights and selling the HIDs for like $200 to someone who then install it in their cars. The actual headlights then are just thrown away. The number of cars showing up with stolen headlights is going though the roof. It has gotten to the point where the goverment is trying to pass laws making the use of these HID systems ilegal except for the cars who come equipped from the dealer with them.
    This law seems likely to be passed in the near future.

Best thing to do if your car comes equipped with these headlights is to always park in lighted areas and to park the car alone away from other cars so that it deters the theif. The worst place to park a car is among other cars.

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    were there any problems in Lot 16A ?

13. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Why, does it make a difference? Is that some sort of sacred ground?

14. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    It was in Lot 8B.

The estimate for total repairs is $3,200 and my deductible is $500, easily making this the most expensive soccer match I have ever attended.

Thanks for everyone's input. Will definitely inform all the higher-ups in the NJSEA (Zoffinger & Co.) about the incident last night. Since they were aware that it's a problem in the lot and a Metro employee already had his headlights stolen last Saturday, security should have been on the look-out (unless they also double as airline security).

I don't know if parking in a lit area would have mattered, since the other guy's car was parked right underneath the lightpost. Assuming there were about 2,000 cars parked at $10 per car, it's amazing that they're cutting corners by getting away with only a handful of security guys in the lots who make near minimum wage, when they made about $20,000 on parking alone last night.

Ironically, I've had my car parked in the seediest places in Jersey City and Newark (the auto-crime capital of the world) on the streets and never had a scratch. But I can't come back from a soccer match at Giants Stadium with my whole car intact.

15. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's a consistent problem, what are the chances that the people who are supposedly watching the lots are in on it?

16. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    I am not a lawyer thank the Gods.

But, I think when you pay to park. It is up to the stadium to take reasonable precautions to safe guard you car.

Should have reported it to them and filled out a form hopefully they have some kind of form to fill out. Then take them to court for cost of repairs. because they did not take reasonable precautions if all those cars were vandilized.
    --------------
    There is no park at your own risk when you pay for parking. Even if they have a sign that says it.

17. Chunas

Chunas New Member

Jul 15, 1999
    linden, nj, usa

thats why stadiums across de globe are close to public transportation! any questions!

www aucas.com

18. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    Not to worry. NJSEA has their 2 best employees on the case!

[​IMG]