Carribean Digicel Cup in September 2006! Does anybody know anything about this story?

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by bana2166, Mar 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bana2166

bana2166 Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Jamaica Hills-NYCity
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Kyle Lightbourne might finally get his wish after all – his strongest possible XI for next September’s Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Digicel Cup tournament in the Dominican Republic.
    Since taking over the national coaching post from predecessor Kenny Thompson, Lightbourne – for one reason or another – has been denied the chance to showcase the Island’s full potential on the international stage.

http://www.theroyalgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060323/SPORT/103230135

No ‘group of death’ in Digicel Cup for BDA
    Bermuda's soccer players got a decent draw for the Digicel Carribean Cup where they will be favourites to win their qualification group.

Kyle Lightbourne's squad will travel to the Dominican Republic in September for three matches against the hosts, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the British Virgin Islands.

All three teams are placed below Bermuda in the official world rankings.

The draw looks even better when you see what Bermuda could have been up against - a group of death involving Jamaica and Haiti - two of the top teams in the region.

http://www.bermudasun.bm/main.asp?SectionID=8&SubSectionID=203&ArticleID=28937&TM=3510.932

It has been widely reported on Bermuda News web site today regarding a Carribean Digicel Cup tournament for 2006. The Draws has already taking place and the games are supposed too take place in September at Dominican Republic.

I google & yahoo this story all over the web and I can seen to find no other newspaper taking about this tournament. I went on FIFA & CONCACAF web site, nothing seens to be posted regarding this tournament. The only web newspaper talking about this tournament is Bermuda news media.

Does anybody know anything regarding this tournament, the draws, what group and which team in the carribean participating in this tournament. thanks

2. duranduran

duranduran New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Re: Carribean Digicel Cup in September 2006! Does anybody know anything about this st

Hi,
    The CFU Digicel Caribbean Cup 2007 draw has already been made. The other groups I know of so far are:

GROUP ?
    Venue: Antigua / Barbuda
    Dates: 18-24 September 2006
    Barbados, Saint Kitts / Nevis, Antigua / Barbuda, Anguilla

GROUP ?
    Venue: Jamaica
    Dates: 6-10 September 2006
    Jamaica, Haiti, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent / Grenadines

3. bana2166

bana2166 Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Jamaica Hills-NYCity
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Re: Carribean Digicel Cup in September 2006! Does anybody know anything about this st

is this information about 2007 Cup draw posted anywhere on the Web?
    and where did you get this info? thanks

4. duranduran

duranduran New Member

Nov 12, 2004

It's not posted on the web as the info came directly from the Haiti and Antigua / Barbuda FAs. However I received an e-mail from the Caymans Islands FAs confirming that the Cup will take place between September 2006 - February 2007 but they have received no draw info.

5. bana2166

bana2166 Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Jamaica Hills-NYCity
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti

Thanks DuranDuran

6. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Looks like there will be 6 preliminary groups. The 2nd round will feature 12 teams, the top 2 from each of the 1st round groups. The Final Round will either feature 4 or 8 teams (Digicel is keen on 8), and will be played in either January or February 2007 in an as yet undecided country. So, I would expect that Cuba and Trinidad & Tobago would head the seedings in 2 of the other groups, and I can only presume that the other group will be headed by Martinique, although I would have expected Haiti (though they seem to be 2nd seeds as they have been drawn in Jamaica's group).

7. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Just telephoned Digicel in Jamaica directly, and I should receive an e-mail within the next few days with more details. Of course, I will inform of the details as soon as I receive them.

8. bana2166

bana2166 Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Jamaica Hills-NYCity
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti

thanks McRuic

9. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Things are progressing slowly, I am being passed from person to person, but my query is now finally with the correct department. Expecting an answer before the weekend. Hopefully.

10. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Official reply from Digicel - The draw has not yet been finalised, and as soon as it has, the details will be published. So, the draw has not been made yet apparently.

11. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Full Draw

GROUP A
    Grenada
    Guyana
    Netherlands Antilles
    Suriname

GROUP B
    Anguilla
    Antigua & Barbuda
    Barbados
    Saint Kitts & Nevis

GROUP C
    Bermuda
    British Virgin Islands
    Dominican Republic
    United States Virgin Islands

GROUP D
    Haiti
    Jamaica
    Saint Lucia
    Saint Vincent & the Grenadines

GROUP E
    Bahamas
    Cayman Islands
    Cuba
    Turks & Caicos Islands

GROUP F
    Dominica
    Guadeloupe
    Martinique
    Saint-Martin

I presume Trinidad & Tobago receive a bye to the Final Round.
    So, it looks like the group winners and the best of the group runners-up will qualify for the final round.

5 teams did not enter - Sint Maarten (as usual), Aruba, Montserrat, French Guiana and Puerto Rico.

12. FlashEP

FlashEP New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    Group D must stand for group of Death. Saint Vincent & Grenadines surprised a lot of teams making it deep into World Cup 2006 qualifications. St. Lucia is also a tough team losing in a home and away series to Jamaica by an aggregate score of 3:2 during the Gold Cup 2005 qualifications. But I still give the edge to the Haiti and Jamaica.

13. bana2166

bana2166 Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Jamaica Hills-NYCity
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti

Hey Mcruic

Where did you get this standing for Carribean Digicel Cup because the info is not posted in CONCACAF web site?

14. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  15. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It looks like the groups have been drawn on a geographical basis rather than on seedings

16. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    i'd say the same thing except for groups B and D...

17. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notes:
    -Jamaica and Haiti together...again.
    -Cuba and Cayman Islands together...again.
    -Group D...relatively...is a b****.
    -Barbados and Saint Kitts meeting after Saint Kitts took their seed in World Cup Qualifying in the summer of 2004. I'm expecting the second team to come from this group as the other two teams are comparative minnows, and for Saint Kitts and Barbados to tie on 7 points.
    -Wondering if some teams will withdraw. If none do (Turks & Caicos, I'm looking in your direction), CONCACAF is making progress.
    -Surprised there is no Puerto Rico.
    -This draw looks very interesting. There's no group that looks very clear cut.

18. FlashEP

FlashEP New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    So how is the Digicel Cup going to be qualifications for the preliminary round of the 2010 World Cup? Out of the tournament's top placing teams, how many will be able to move on by the end?

19. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    This is the latest news I have

GROUP A @ Netherlands Antilles
    Grenada
    Guyana
    Netherlands Antilles
    Suriname

GROUP B @ Antigua & Barbuda
    Anguilla
    Antigua & Barbuda
    Barbados
    Saint Kitts & Nevis

GROUP C @ Dominican Republic
    Bermuda
    British Virgin Islands
    Dominican Republic

GROUP D @ Jamaica
    Haiti
    Jamaica
    Saint Lucia

GROUP E @ Cuba (2nd-6th September)
    Bahamas
    Cayman Islands
    Cuba
    Turks & Caicos Islands

GROUP F @ Guadeloupe
    Dominica
    Guadeloupe
    Martinique
    Saint-Martin

I'm thinking that the 6 group winners will join Trinidad & Tobago in the finals, and it would make sense if 2 teams qualified from Group D to make the finalists up to 8 teams.

POSSIBLE FINALISTS
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Jamaica
    Cuba
    Barbados
    Suriname
    Haiti
    Martinique
    Bermuda

20. FlashEP

FlashEP New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    So the final round in Trinidad & Tobago will be group play. Does this mean every team will play each other once or will it be a knockout stage setup?

21. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I reckon it will be group play, as this has been the format usually favoured in previous Caribbean Cups with 8 teams.

22. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    How much do you want to bet Cba gets into the final round without kicking a ball? I doubt anyone really wants to go there right around now...

23. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    STAGE 1

GROUP A @ Netherlands Antilles (6th-10th September)
    Grenada
    Guyana
    Netherlands Antilles
    Suriname

GROUP B @ Antigua & Barbuda (20th-24th September)
    Anguilla
    Antigua & Barbuda
    Barbados
    Saint Kitts & Nevis

GROUP C @ Dominican Republic (26th-30th September)
    Bermuda
    British Virgin Islands
    Dominican Republic

GROUP D @ Jamaica (26th-30th September)
    Haiti
    Jamaica
    Saint Lucia

GROUP E @ Cuba (2nd-6th September)
    Bahamas
    Cayman Islands
    Cuba
    Turks & Caicos Islands

GROUP F @ Guadeloupe (20th-24th September)
    Dominica
    Guadeloupe
    Martinique
    Saint-Martin

TOP 2 in each group qualify for 2nd stage

STAGE 2 (November, dates to be announced)

12 teams will be drawn into 3 groups of 4 teams each (GROUPS G,H & I)

Top 2 in each group qualify for the final tournament in Trinidad & Tobago from 31st January-11th February 2007

The three 3rd-placed teams from Groups G,H,& I will play a group (GROUP J) in dates to be decided in December to determine the final qualifier for the final tournament

24. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

I think Cayman Islands will be willing to give it a go. They played Cuba fairly tough in World Cup Qualifying and likely want another crack at them.

I do find it odd how some teams always end up together. Besides Cuba-Cayman Islands... Grenada and Guyana seem to always play each other. And then St. Kitts & Nevis and Barbados are matched up again, as well as Jamaica and Haiti. But I guess this happens elsewhere too. For the last two years it seemed like you couldn't have Holland in a group without the Czech Republic as well.

25. FlashEP

FlashEP New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    At first it does seem kind of complicated but i have to admit it seems a lot more fair to all 25 teams. I still expect to be seeing Cuba, Jamaica, and Haiti in Trinidad & Tobago but watch out for Martinique and Grenada.