Carlos Salazar--Colombian MF--trials with RSL

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by RSL Fortaleza Menina, Feb 24, 2009.

1. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Carlos Salazar
    [​IMG]

Salazar on right

Colombian: 27 yo MF

Last club: Colo-Colo (Chile, incl. Copa Libertadores);
    Note: was actually w/ Atletico Huila in Colombia for 2 matches most recently

Former clubs: Dep. Cali, Dep Pasto, Dep. Pereira, LD Alajuelense (gulp), The Strongest (Bolivia), Zamora FC (?), Colo-Colo, Atletico Huila

More HERE

MORE HERE (article from today re his RSL trial)

RECENT PHOTO
    [​IMG]

2. jp992751

jp992751 Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Logan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember seeing him play a few times when he was with Colo colo and I was living in Chile. Not great but does have a good touch. I don't think we will sign him. You want a good ex-colo colo player (Humberto Suazo, Jorge Valdivia, Mark Gonzalez)

3. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Is that team name really "The Strongest" or is that an auto-translator issue?

4. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  5. Translation:
    Carlos Salazar left Huila and will now play in the MLS

The creative 27 year-old vallecaucano player, who resigned from Atletico Huila, traveled this Tuesday to the United States to clarify his possible signing with Real Salt Lake.
    Salazar, who also played for Opita, with whom he only played two games (claiming a familiar tragedy), has played for Deportivo Cali, Pasto, Bucaramanga; Pereira. He has also played abroad for Colo Colo (Chile), Alajuelense (Costa Rica) and The Strongest (Bolivia).

6. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes leaving words untranslated changes things in strange ways.

A "familiar tradgedy?"

7. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    He's played for a ridiculous number of teams to be just 27.

Why does RSL need another midfielder? Forward--yes. Fullback--sure. This????

8. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Aren't they all playing in Europe right now though? Suazo and Gonzalez would be fun to watch though! The other Chilean I like is Pizzaro who was playing for Roma last I checked... great striker but probably a little rich for our club.

9. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    You could add Andy Williams and Freddy Adu to that list. Freddy is 19 and has played for 4 clubs.

10. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "played" being a relative term. At least in Freddy's case.

11. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because, despite our apparent glut of midfielders, we don't have a single one who's left-footed. It was noticeable last year how much it affected our play to have nothing but righties on the left side -- RSL will play much quicker in the final third if they've got a southpaw over there.

12. Truhlk

Truhlk Member

Jun 21, 2007

Not to mention the fact that we really only have 5 people that are quality midfielders. In the course of a season there will be plenty of times when 2 of them are out and then what are we left with? Beltran, Nimo, Alexandre? No thank you.

We need more quality depth. Right now we have too many young guys as backups and not a lot of veteran savy. I would hope before the season starts that we sign 2 more Mids (preferably left footed) and at least 1 more striker. Full back we may be okay on since Russell can slide in there and do an adaquate job but if Borchers or Olave go down for a significant chunk of time we could use another guy there as well.

13. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    This guy has character issues.

Salazar seemingly used a bogus excuse this week ("family calamity") to escape his current Colombian club Huila (aka: 'Opita'). Huila staff are now left in the lurch--and Huila fans are outraged his character wasn't checked better before Huila signed & built their midfield around him. They claim he quit running in training sessions last week, and refused to play Saturday v Millionarios. LINK

"Discipline" problems hinted at HERE

14. jp992751

jp992751 Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Logan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonzalez is (great wing defender) Valdivia last I heard was in Brazil (they call him el mago, magician, for a reason) and Suazo was with monterray (best striker I have seen that would be in our price range.) Pizzaro is good as well. Their is a lot of Chilean talent that isn't being tapped by MLS (it seems we stick with colombia and Argentina) but if RSL posted themselves in Chile we could find some major players.

If we are looking for a striker maybe we could talk Ivan "bam bam" zamorano out of retirment? :)

15. beaveman

beaveman New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Mapleton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget Sebastian Rozental. The MLS did turn to Chile for him, and that didn't turn out so great. Of course, he was on a bad Columbus team at the time...

16. ryno007

ryno007 New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Draper, UT, USA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems odd that Gar-son would be interested in this type of player given these [apparent] issues. Who knows if those statements are complete/true (the old two-sides-to-every-story deal), but it doesn't seem like the mold of personality they're looking for. Could it be that they're getting desperate to add somebody, anybody to the roster? Been lots of trialists lately without much action on the signing front. And it's not like MLS is going to move our season opener to give new guys more time in pre-season.

17. jp992751

jp992751 Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Logan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus he was also winding down his carrer. I am talking about young chileans and guys who have 5 years left to play. Rozental was done when he came to colombus although Marco Gonzalez their defender had some good matches with the crew before going back to chile.

18. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't think "character issues" is the exact term. He just found more money in MLS so he used whathever excuse he needed to leave and that's it. It's more like disloyalty to me.

19. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Not sure I see any distinction.

Hey "Calamity Carlos"...don't spend all your new "found more money" too fast.

20. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Oh I do see a distinction between being a mercenary and being crazy. And I see no evidence of the latter.

Lol @ "Calamity Carlos". But who knows? Perhaps he has what it takes to bring calamities to your rival's defenses. I guess his "character issues" would be no issue at all if that was the case, right?

21. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    that's correct