Carlos Diaz in Hungary

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  2. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Being 20 years old and playing first division pro soccer in Budapest - I can think of much worse lives, that's for damn sure.

3. DLee

DLee Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Chicago
    Seriously. I think half the reason I come on the the YA boards is to live vicariously through these kids that go off to places I would love to live.

SCSAutism repped this.
  4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Intersting. Never heard of this player. What kind of player is he, I wonder? Budapest from what I've heard is an amazing and lively city. Ferencvárosi is a decent club who, I believe, made some noise in the UEFA Cup a few seasons ago. Carlos should not have a problem adapting to the club and communciating as I see they have 2 Jamaicans, 2 Trindadians, 1 Canadian, and 2 Englishmen. Not to mention the manager is also English. Another side note is that the club is owned by Kevin McCabe who is the chairman of Sheffield United.

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Once upon a time, Ferencváros was a great club.

Second division now.

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Diaz has been mentioned before on YA. I believe he had a trial at Blackpool somewhat recently, and also some interest in Spain -- was hoping, I believe, to get an EU passport.

7. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's only 5'9" and scored just 5 goals in 2 years of college.

Year GP/GS G A Pts Shots SOG GW
    2005 17/8 2 11 15 27 14 0
    2006 20/16 3 4 10 57 24 1
    Total 37/24 5 15 25 84 38 1

8. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like he saw a little playing time in the preseason loss to Sheffield Utd.

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Was just about to post that, ah well.

Anyone understand Hungarian well enough to see if he's actually on the team? I don't feel like clicking every single link to find the roster...

Club site:
    http://www.ftc.hu/

Wiki has him on the team, but, well, it's Wiki.

10. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if this is the current, or from last season. Either was he's not listed.

Kapusok

16 Holczer Ádám

Védők

19 Baranyai Tibor
    26 Dragóner Attila
    29 Fülöp Noel
    5 Nagy Sándor
    Rafa Wolfe
    22 Souare Sekou Tidiane

Középpályások

38 Bamba Moussa
    20 Brettschneider László
    82 Csiszár Zoltán
    23 Deme Imre
    87 Fitos László
    36 Igor Pisanjuk
    James Ashmore
    Jason Morrison
    88 Kulcsár Dávid
    6 Lipcsei Péter
    14 Szalai Tamás
    76 Szkukalek Igor
    Tóth Bence

Csatárok
    Aaron Downing
    15 Bartha László
    11 Kamate Dramane
    Liban Abdi
    Matthew Bartholomew
    10 Paul Shaw
    21 Zsivoczky Norbert

11. vdiaz707

vdiaz707 New Member

Aug 5, 2008
    He just signed his 2-yr contract on Friday so he may not be listed on the roster quite yet... and for the comment about him scoring only 5 goals in 2 yrs of college, you didn't post the rest of the stats (2006 was a tough year for St. Mary's soccer -- sometimes it has to do with your teammates not being team players among other things, like coaches not doing a very good job at playing the right players together -- that's not hearsay as I was personally at a lot of those games):

From the St. Mary's website:
    "2006: Played in all 20 games and made 16 starts as a sophomore...recorded 10 points on three goals and four assists...the 10 points was second on the team...took 57 shots and put 24 on goal...played 1385 minutes...recorded goals in back-to-back games to start the season against Butler and Wright State...was named to the Wright State All-Tournament Team...recorded his third goal against Bowling Green on Sept. 8...handed out an assist in three separate games...tallied the game-winning goal against Wright State.

2005: Played in 17 games as a true freshmen...was named to the All West Coast Conference First Team...was second on the team with 15 total points on two goals and 11 assists......led the league in assists...his 11 assists set the single-season school record...recorded his first collegiate goal in a 2-2 draw against Delaware on Sept. 16...tied a season high with two assists against San Diego on Oct. 21.

High School: lettered in soccer and basketball at Vintage High School in Napa, CA...tallied 56 points his senior season when he scored 18 points and 20 assists in 2004...was named the team MVP in 2004 and was a First Team all-league selection...his club team advanced to the national tournament in 2003 and 2004."

FYI: Carlos is a team player, technical, and entertaining on the field...he's a naturally talented all-around athlete who has been saying that he wants to be a pro soccer player since he was old enough to say so... overcame a knee injury while playing in a game on the San Francisco Seals last year... even after knee surgery he would say that he was still going to play pro and made it happen! :)

fun tidbit: he won't wear anything but Nike... his college team was sponsored by Adidas and he got a doctors note to be able to wear Nike... and now his first pro team (hopefully, only the beginning) is sponsored by Nike.. it's meant to be!

Viva Soccer!

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Congrats to Carlos.

Help he does well there and makes lots of money.

13. philsoc

philsoc Member

Jul 11, 2000
    South Florida
    Not to rain on the parade at all, mainly because my Magyar stinks :), but
    the club website seems to say it's a temporary loan, or something (maybe short term contract?)

14. goalpdl

goalpdl Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will find out for you. I have connections with Fradi.

My ability to read Magyar is limited. It says, neither he or the Canadian-Uki traveled for the Tokol match, but I don't understand why not.

BTW...PHILSOC....Arsenal?

15. goalpdl

goalpdl Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears he may be waiting for final paperwork before he is cleared to play.

For those of you who are curious.

Carlos has joined the most storied club in Hungary. Ferencvaros (Fradi) are the most popular club in the country.

The end of communism was not all that good to the club. They had success in the mid-90s competing in the Champions League, but slowly went downhill from that time. It culminated into the problems they have had in the last 2 years. Their relegation to the 2nd Division was for financial reasons. They have spent the last 2 years there, as only one team gets promoted to the 1st Division from the region in which they compete. They were broke and unable to pay their wages.

Just this past year, the club was purchased by the owners of Sheffield United. Kevin McCabe has promised investment into the club and the construction of a new 20k stadium and shopping plaza. They fired their coach from last year and have installed a Sheffield United coach. McCabe's interest owns several clubs including one in China, Belgium and I believe in Australia, as well as Sheffield United.

So, they will be moving players around and consider Fradi an important piece of their new empire.

While the club is the most popular, it does have problems with Hooligans. They are the worst in Central Europe with a terrible reputation. (Well, except for the Belgrade clubs). Some of their financial problems stem from the Hooligans forcing fines on the club for their behavior at Uefa Cup mataches over the last 5 years.

There is hope because of the new ownership and goal which is the return to the 1st Division and compete for Europe.

Let's hope they do it! Hajra Fradi!!

16. philsoc

philsoc Member

Jul 11, 2000
    South Florida
    Was the ? re: Philsoc... or Arsenal? ;)

I've always like Arsenal, since the 70s with Charlie George when I used to watch on Star Soccer on PBS. Other teams had more talent, but no one had more heart...

17. goalpdl

goalpdl Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question was regarding Arsenal. Did not know there used to be English Football on PBS.

Of course, I watched Soccer made in Germany. (Boy...the Bundesliga screwed up, they could be the most popular league in the US right now). There is a great interview of Toby Charles floating on the Internet. He said it ended because the broadcaster raised their rates too high for it to be economical in the US.

There used to be English Football on WXIN Channel 20 in Detroit. I hated it! It was the ugliest Football you could watch.

I hope my translation worked for you. It is about his papers, a couple of other guys chimed in too to confirm they are waiting is official work permit.

The best Hungarian Soccer conversations are on Xtratime.

18. tamerlan

tamerlan New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Is he a Mexican-American?

19. vdiaz707

vdiaz707 New Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Yes, he is Mexican-American. He was born and raised in Napa, California.

20. Academy Fan

Academy Fan New Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Castaic, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody have an email address or contact info for Carlos?

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  22. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  23. Academy Fan

Academy Fan New Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Castaic, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Good luck Carlos!

Was fun watching you with the Seals the past couple of years ...