Carlo Ancelotti

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Lamps>Gerrard, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a thread dedicated to the discussion of Carlo Ancelotti. I don't see anything like it on the first page and I think it'd be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to discussing him, his tactics, and what he has done for Chelsea Football Club.

The one thing I've noticed (other than us steamrolling teams like no other) about what he has done, is instilled a spirit, a motivation into our team. Drogba looks like he cares every single game, he is selfless.

Our players celebrate fantastic passes. I was delighted when I saw Mikel get cheers from 5 or so Chelsea players when he hit a fantastic lobbed through ball.

There's a new air about this team that was not evident even under Hiddink. Our team plays fantastic football, our players look happy, not to mention fitter than I've ever seen them.

I think it's safe to say that this is no longer Mourinho's team, no matter what he might like to think. Same formation, sure. But the way our players go about the game is a far cry away from what we saw not so long ago.

Carlo has done a great job of making one of Jose's great sayings a real reality.

[​IMG]

Be champions. ;)

2. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Trying best how to phrase this so it is not misinterpeted...

Starting with the good:

wow are we starting good;

Big Cheers to Carlo for the double and the start.

Carlo seems to be a learner and less entirely set in his way than I feared, last Fall though the results were mosty good, I thought it was a bit of the Emperor sin clothes, as we played some of the most dire, boring football I have seen as the diamond and the tree were forced on players not best suited thus, but starting in the ANC, when I suppose the 4-3-3 was forced him on him a bit, we started playing sparkling stuff, often breathtaking football, and he seemed to adapt and learn from the experiance and went more down the stretch to a 4-3-3ish system that just suits who we gots better, and we are continuing to play some mostly steller football.

And the 4-3-3 is a Carlo 4-3-3 not Guus' or Jose's to his credit, though tbf we are still benifitting from the foundation he laid, particularily defensivly and in the every player defends everywhere ethos that Carlo has notched up again to Carlo's credit again

I think Carlo has made us a more balanced, fluid team, and less dependent on Supah and Drogs, which will serve us well even as we step up the schedule strength.

I do really enjoy that we no longer close up shop and destroy teams, though we are in a very different place in the evolution and development of our team, ethos, and players than we were when Jose was making us League Champions for the first time in fifty years

I think Carlo is doing a fair job in getting the youth more involved, would like a bit more, but early days yet

And huge credit for flat out owning the top 4 last season

And I repeat I love and enjoy the season thus far, but it is easy to love a gaffer when he is on a 6 game tear.

And now for the open questions:

We are near entirely untested really this year, and last year we had road issues, issues with speed i.e. City and issues with adept busparkers and some with the 5th-12-13th caliber teams,particularily when they close shop.

I see a lot of reason to think that Carlo will improve upon that and carry our form on against better teams, but I still have some concerns there and some concerns on our depth of creativity and goal scoring beyond Drogs, Supah and Malouda when the breeze gets much stiffer. I am hopeful that Carlo has learned how to approach the road better in the League and will make less adjustments and close it down less and make teams adjust to us.

Inherent in the good of our being more open and not closing shop is that our defence is not and will not be as tight, and I have no issue with Carv leaving, and he may never get to the peak Carv again and I like both Ivano and Alex, but neither thus far, though Ivano may, are as good as Carv at his best and though JT is still far better than many seem to credit him still, he likly will not be the best JT we have ever seen, so Carlo has to make up for all that and not let us get to loose in the back.

Still think we could become more balanced, open more space, and quicken the pace by finding another solution than Anelka on the right, would like to see that explored against lesser sides more.

Obi is making it easy now, but I hope Carlo has moved past trying to play ESS in that spot. Early days, and you need to round your best into form and cohesion, but I would not mind seeing Zhirkov and some younger players get in more at 60 minutes mark in romps

CL will be tougher, he simply must show and do what it takes to not lose to Teatro Barfa, Rarfa Barfa and Jose.

Transfer ability still an unknown in and out and whether it will be optimum but my impression is that it is not really very much in his control so I won't grade either way but do think Ramires is and will be a good get.

Though I still think 84 points will not be enough, other teams did not improve as much as I thought, so we should be the lead horse and my confidence in Carlo is only increasing

3. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose today would be a fantastic example of some tactics some of us might not agree with. I have to appreciate seeing some of the younger players and watching them make both positive and negative impacts on the match.

Carlo has had a habit of playing players in their less preferred spots. This has been a theme since he's been in charge. I can understand where he's coming from, it's obvious he wants to give certain players more time on the field and the only way to really accomodate everyone is to play people out of position.

4. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    One cannot have a Don Carlo Ancelotti thread w/out his Gladiator photo:
    [​IMG]

5. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Im sure Carlo could F*** Spartacus up.

6. Miguel Alvarez

May 12, 2006
    Re: We post here too often- The Chelsea Injury Thread

This was bound to happen we shipped out ballack,deco,belletti and j.cole, loaned out or youngsters matic, cork and mancienne and only added benayoun & ramires. McEachren better be ready.

7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

It's goal.com, so I'll reserve my worries.

However, if he does miss it, I'd play this formation.

------------------Cech
    Ivan--------Alex---------Terry--------Cole
    -------------------Mikel
    Essien------------Malouda-------------Zhirkov
    ----------Anelka-----------Drogba

8. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or we could just stick with a regular 4-3-3 with Ramires starting?

9. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

We could.:)

10. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Anyways I'd play this...

------------------Cech
    Ivan--------Alex---------Terry--------Cole
    ---------------McEachran
    McEachran-------------------McEachran
    -------------McEachran
    ----------Anelka-----------Drogba

11. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

You forgot to include Josh McEachran.

12. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel

lol to be honest, with essien and mikel bullying around the MF like they were part of the AV club, i would mind J-Mac playing up supporting Didier and Nico in attack

but ill be really really surprised if he plays against citeh, Ramires or Zhirkov will start for lamps if he doesn't play

13. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would take McEachran in central midfield over Yuri any day. It is so flamingly obvious that Zhirkov does not belong anywhere except for left wing back or somewhere high up on the left.

14. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

If Lamp can't go, think I'd go with the usual starters, Ivano at RB, and put Ramires in with Obi and ESS and try to go a little old -school Jose, compact, disciplaned and try to take the sting out of the match early and bring McEachran in the scond half. Not that I am over excited by yesterday or trying to expect too much early, though he was brillinat, but because there really is no other option left for goals and creativity out of the midfield

15. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel

the only way i would want mceacrhan to start is if we have essien and mikel behind him

mancini will no doubt field barry, toure and dejong, so we gotta play hard against city

sub at 70 min is the way to go

16. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Still think the never-die attitude goes back to Jose days.

17. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    [​IMG]i think im gonna
    [​IMG]

18. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    How dare you spoil a Don Carlo Thread[​IMG]...I think I should neg rep you for posting spud crap on this thread. This is hallow ground. This is a Thread for the Great Don Carlo, the Champion of Chelsea FC!!!!

19. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd definitely start with Ramires-Obi-Ess, it's simply our best option, unless we did go with some kind of compact diamond, like the 4-1-2-1-2 we saw at the beginning of last season. It's ugly but it got us results against the better opposition.

20. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    i was refering to yasiks jose comment, i originally had a "get over it" type comment regarding his love for the special one, but FECKING BIG SOCCER bugged out on me and i had work to get to so i left the pick as it was

21. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

First I was talking about an attacking minded creative role in central midfield not overall, as well as saying I would start Ramires to gain control of the mf ,then bring in Josh in the 2nd to help score goals and win it if needed; and sadly, secondly, Drogs, Maloda and Anelka plus Lamps were not enough to win either City match last year so no time to get cocky about an easy win, especially as this is our first real test this season in the League.

Also I'd point out that Drogs, Anelka and Malouda need to be fed the ball to succeed and that is where no Lamp really kills us as Obi is the only consistent quality passer in what I assume will be the starting mf and his cutting passes into the box is not fully developed or utilized yet.

22. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    I was only playing w/ you. Damn, can't you take a joke ;)

23. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

There is a difference since last year. MICHAEL ESSIEN :D I think he will be the key. And no way Josh even makes the bench for such an important game but I sure hope he does.

24. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

I do think ESS is a big diference, but seriouslly who do you plan to put on the bench as cm help after the starting 3???? I'd be shocked if he isn't on the bench...you look at the cm depth chart and you see tumbling tumbling tumbleweeds

25. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lamps will do it....he'll end up scoring a boatload in one game and go on some streak.

^^McEachran, and Gael.