Carlitos' Way...out?

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by tpmazembe, Sep 9, 2005.

1. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    End of the love affair...already?

Tevez: ‘Penso em sair do Corinthians’

Carlitos Tevez publicly expresses that he may request a move out of Parque Sao Jorge.

In brief, Tevez is not happy because he feels that the marking on him is too violent, and claims that instead of getting help from the refs, they marginalize him with statements such as "gringo de merda."

He also makes the claim that he doesn't believe that they [not sure who he is referring to...refs?...administrators?...Brasilian public?] are not ready for an Argentine to do well in Brasilian football.

08h30 - Tevez deu entrevista com blusa do Manchester United

Yesterday Tevez gave an official interview wearing a ManU windbreaker. When asked by a reporter if this was not disrespectful to Corinthians, he dismissed it saying "I wear what Nike sends me. I don't see any problem at all." [​IMG]

Not satisfied, the journalist repeated the question, at which point Tevez removed the windbreaker and asked if he was "satisfied."

Corinthians press liaison people claim that they asked him to remove it before going out to the press room for the interview.

Thoughts???

[Please, no nationalistic or xenophobic comments]

Ole.com article on the subject - "Si esto no cambia, voy a pedir que me vendan"

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I'd love to see him at Old Trafford, but unfortunately he will just be using our name to make a point. Being WC year, he will want a move to help secure his place. The only good thing is Jose and Roman probably had heart attacks... :p

3. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    that so funny how he wears a ManU shirt thn says he wears what Nike sends him, that was classic, nice one Tevez

4. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    After digesting, here are my thoughts:

a) Hard/violent fouls - whereas many who have little knowledge of Brazilian football think that its not physical, its actually one of the most physical leagues in the world for "gifted" players. Routinely the most skilled are dispossessed with fouls on the border of legality. Its been that way since the days of Pele, through Zico, until now. Both Pele and Zico went into WCs injured due to vicious fouls committed in the local derbies. Tevez is just experiencing what other talented forwards have for years. If he is being targeted its for his skill.

b) Referee baiting - I'm not sure quite what to make of this. Hopefully he and Corinthians report these offending refs for censure. In the recent past I've heard Paluo Nunes, Marcelinho Carioca, and others claim to have also been personally offended repeatedly by Brasilian refs; so it could be very probable. Even Luxembourgo used to complain that he would be repeatedly offended from the sidelines. I'd like to see a CBF warning that such behaviour will not be tolerated.

c) [They] are not ready for an Argentine to Succeed in Brasil - I think this is bogus. Argentines have succeeded in Brasilian football, and usually are revered by their local fans. From Perfumo to Sorin to Tevez, the good players are admired and cherished. Without having won any major title for the club (yet), Carlitos is already an idol to the massive Corinthian nation. He said this out of frustration (we must also remember that the team is in bad form at the moment).

d) Wearing ManU windbreaker - If this was a random personal interview conducted at his home I wouldn't think too much of it. However, this was done as an official Corinthians PR function at the team HQ. You never see such a move by any player...it is disrespectful to the club paying your wages. If it is true that he was asked to remove it prior to entering the press room and decided against it, its a sign of immaturity.

I'm always an advocate for player freedom of movement and being able to play where they feel most comfortable. If Tevez wants to move on at the european winter break [end of Brasileiro], I wouldn't begrudge him.

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    My personal opinion is that Tevez feels he is ready to move on to bigger things so he may be saying these things to create a bad atmosphere for him to leave.

I just can't believe that a player that comes from where he came can be affected by taunts from players or refs. I don't follow the Argentine league so I don't know if it's less violent that ours. But that sounds like a cry-baby comment.

6. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    TP,

I feel that this was just frustration boiling over on Carlitos' part. Imvho he's one of the most skilled young players of the moment. I've enjoyed tremendously his play at Boca and frankly wish him the best at Corinthians. I think it's he losing that's getting to him. Like his idol, Diegito, he too is a volatile player. El Apache will be ok. As for the Manutd windbreaker I agree it was in bad form.

7. AuriVerde

AuriVerde Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Fortaleza-CE,Brasil
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Agreed.It´s a cry-baby comment.BTW,Argentine league(and their "style" of playing) is more violent than ours.

8. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Tevez going to Brasil was big news and it would have only been a benefit, from a business standpoint particularly, for him to do well in Brasil. The allure of being someoen that was a clear difference maker and could have possibly been, today, the best player in the Brasilian leagues intrigued him in the beginning and probably still does now. As greedy as the CBF is, I don't think that with this one, they would have gotten particularly jingoistic about the issue.

But at the same time, I don't think that Tevez had anything close to the charisma needed to be a cross-over darling in the CBF; a 'uniter' if you will. So that portion was doomed from the get-go.

IMO if he wants to go they should do what they can to sell him to another club. At least make back some of the money and everyone knew he would eventually go to Europe anyways. But as for the referees, hard fouls, etc... the hard fouls happen to loads of the best players. I don't like them, but for many years now the CBF leagues, like tpmazembe says, has been absolutely plagued with fouls and physical play. That shouldn't have been a surprise. Meanwhile the windbreaker bit was just something done by a 'dumb jock'. :D

9. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Big Brother do Timão para flagrar árbitros

Corinthians will be focusing cameras on all refs they face in Brasileiro for the full 90 minutes of each game.

15:05h - STJD intima árbitro do clássico paulista

The ref of past Corinthians x Palmeiras game has been called in by sports tribunal to discuss the events of the last game.

At least Tevez can't say he isn't being heard.

Segundo o empresário Adrián Orozco, não há chance do argentino deixar o clube na próxima temporada

According to Tevez's business manager, Carlitos' will be staying at least through 2006. He made this announcement on an Argentine radio station.

He also made the statement that Tevez is the greatest idol Corinthians have ever had. If you discount the obvious ignorance displayed in this statement (Marcelinho? Rivellino?), it does point out his idol status within the current context and that there are millions of Brasilians rooting for him to succeed.

10. sandokan

sandokan New Member

Jul 4, 2003
    CT
    IMHO tevez is overhyped, olympic streak made him hot, he just wants to be traded,
    my .02 cents

11. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Sandokan,

Overhyped? You're kidding right? Or are you just saying that to be controversial? Please explain to me in greater detail why this kid's overhyped?

12. TRICOLOR BRASIL

Feb 5, 2004
    Brazil
    I agree.

And he is forcing to leave just because he stopped beign called for his National team.

Through history it always happen a hurricane in Corinthians after a defeat against São Paulo. And it has been happening quite often lately...

13. AuriVerde

AuriVerde Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Fortaleza-CE,Brasil
    Club:
    He is overhyped.I have not seen nothing so special about him.I don´t care anyway,i could care less about corinthian´s problems:)

14. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    There were four main points in the interview (which I watched):

1. He is supposedly a victim of violence on the field, not only with the acceptance of the referees, but also with their active participation (verbal harassment);

2. Argentine players would not be allowed to succeed in Brazil;

3. Women should not referee clássicos (games with historic significance, like the recent Corinthians x São Paulo, attended by two female referee assistants) because players, according to him, do not feel comfortable to talk with women the way they talk with man;

4. He suggested that the defense is not doing their job: “We are scoring 2, 3 goals every game. What else can we do?”

Now let’s take a look at the facts about the team, the club management and the player.

The Team

In the last 9 games, Corinthians only won 9 points (33%):

16th round – Santos 4 x 2 Corinthians
    17th round – Corinthians 3 x 0 Coritiba
    18th round – Corinthians 0 x 2 São Caetano
    19th round – Internacional 0 x 0 Corinthians
    20th round – Ponte Preta 3 x 5 Corinthians
    21st round – Corinthians 1 x 1 Goiás
    22nd round – Juventude 1 x 0 Corinthians
    23rd round – Corinthians 3 x 3 Botafogo
    24th round – São Paulo 3 x 2 Corinthians

It has been a poor performance in the last weeks and it’s also surprising, given the fact that they were playing good football. In fact, they had five wins in a row (100%) until they met Santos (in the day that Robinho returned and Giovani had a great afternoon).

11th round – Corinthians 3 x 1 Palmeiras
    12th round – Paraná 2 x 3 Corinthians
    13th round – Corinthians 3 x 2 Paysandu
    14th round – Vasco 2 x 3 Corinthians
    15th round – Corinthians 4 x 3 Cruzeiro

Well, the most expensive team in Brazil is not the clear favorite anymore to win the Campeonato Brasileiro. They beat Palmeiras, but they lost to Santos and São Paulo in the clássicos. Everyone who is familiar with the Brazilian football will be aware of what it means. That's a lot of pressure to deal with, especially for the main star.

The Club Management

In a few months there will be elections to choose the new president of the Sport Club Corinthians Paulista. Mr. Alberto Dualib, the man who introduced Mr. Kia Joorabchian to Corinthians (in a polemic revolving around the control of the club’s future), is presenting himself for a new term of the presidency. Mr. Joorabchian apparently suddenly developed a different idea about how the club should be managed. Mr. Dualib wants more money from MSI to pay alleged debts. Mr. Joorabchian says that MSI will pay the debts, but he wants to see the debt papers. Once friends, they now disagree. Besides that, according to the press, Mr. Joorabchian wants to be named Corinthians’ counselor. Counselors are the men and women who vote and run the club. Being a counselor is the first step to run for the club's presidency. Can they reach a consensus?

In the middle of this political fight, Tevez, who signed a contract with Corinthians, remains a MSI player.

The Player

Now let’s analyze Tevez’s arguments, one by one.

1 - A victim of violence on the field, not only with the acceptance of the referees, but also with their active participation (verbal harassment)

According to Sportv, Tevez is 14th in received fouls in the Campeonato Brasileiro (less than 80). Gomes, from Paraná Clube, is the first (almost 120). Roger is the 4th (1st in Corinthians, with less than 90). So, Tevez is not exactly being ‘hunted’ on the field. As for the referees, the language on the field, as everybody knows, is vivid, so to speak, not only with foreign players. However, if he feels discriminated, he should give names to CBF (and the press) and let the accused defend themselves. By not doing that, he is accusing all of them. In my opinion, it is an immoral strategy because it is manipulative and potentially harmful to the referees - let's not forget that Corinthians' fans are not angels. It applies to Tevez and the others who make ‘ghost’ accusations.

That said, it must be added that Tevez was recently given a red card for calling a referee a ‘filho da ********’ - in Spanish, of course. The referee was clever enough to write it down in the game report.

2 – Argentine players would not be allowed to succeed in Brazil

This suggestion is ridiculous, as TPmazembe correctly pointed out.

3 – Women should not referee clássicos (games with historic significance, like Corinthians x São Paulo, attended by two female referee assistants) because players, according to him, do not feel comfortable to talk with women the way they talk with man.

What can I say? Tevez is not talking about anyone but himself. He complaints of some kind of ‘verbal harassment’ from the male referees (which may be true), but goes to the public in a press conference to say that women should not referee clássicos. I would like to ask him: what does he want to say to a man that makes him uncomfortable if it’s a woman?

4 – We are scoring 2, 3 goals every game. What else can we do?

I guess he is right, although I disagree with the fact that he exposed players from his team – including Sebastian.

All in all, his interview was a disappointment for me. Tevez is a talented young man obviously going through a period of stress. Since he arrived I thought he was a blessing for Corinthians and a good move for the Campeonato Brasileiro and I still believe that he can lead his team to a great season – although it must be remembered that when Tevez arrived in Brazil he was going through problems with the Argentine press and the Boca fans due to his behavior and mood swings.

On the other hand, it seems to me that he is preparing his departure, somehow worried with the idea of failure.

p.s.

The Manchester United shirt was not without purpose. It was provocative and immature. Does he all of a sudden support Manchester United? Corinthians’ fans supported him from the start, offering their help and passionate chants. I just don’t think they deserve this kind of childish behavior.

15. AuriVerde

AuriVerde Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Fortaleza-CE,Brasil
    Club:
    Once again:perfect post,Ombak!Congrats!

16. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    See through it. I wanna go to Europe itall means!!

17. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Very well analyzed post, Ombak.

18. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Gentlemen....am I missing something....has Ombak posted yet on this topic....I know he's bright, but telepathic???

Then again, has anyone ever seen Ombak and neovox in the same place at the same time:)

Nice post neovox...and Ombak as well!

neovox, are these the official called fouls, or Sportv's unofficial count? I would presume Tevez would argue that more fouls should be called in his favor to reflect what he feels is happening on the field.

I will say that he's getting the same rough treatment other quality forwards have always been subject to in the Brasileiro.

19. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    1) There was a debate last Friday in the Arena Sportv about Tevez statements and the numbers were presented as official. They have a tabela interativa with all the statistics that you can download at sportv.com.br.

2) I agree. By the way, Tevez is the most indisciplined player in Corinthians according to Folha de São Paulo, with 7 yellow and 2 red cards.

p.s.

Hey, Ombak, apparently we have a similar style. ;)

p.p.s.

Have you ever read "El Otro"/"O Outro", a small story written by Jorge Luis Borges?

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  21. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Everyone knows I'd have something intelligent to say on this topic.

I'm flattered that they confused me with neovox though.

22. jcmartins

jcmartins BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 22, 2005
    United States
    Carlos Tevez has showed time and again that he is immature.. a great player no doubt, but just like Maradona in his day, what comes out of his mouth should not be listened to. When Brazil went on to play at Argentina.. Carlitos said and I quote: The only way to stop the brazilians is by hurting them..... Later he was the main character in a 'joke' of spitting in the water that would be taken to Parreira.. And now all the comotion..... I can see why he's unhappy in Brazil and I don't think it's bogus that an Argentine player will have dificulties succeeding in Brazill. With other players such as Sorin, who are midfielders it's easier.. but when it's a forward with the likes of Tevez it is very hard.. of course the supporters from his club will love him... but will they stand behind him in diffcult times, for example as santos with Robinho? Besides Sorin is much more charismatic, a nice guy.. while Tevez is from the gueto and tends to fight his way through life....
    I have to admit, the media in general has been very kind with him, I was impressed all the time with seeing great things about him in the news and every commentator I heard during a corinthians match always defended him.... I personally have been watching Tevez since he was at Boca and when I heard he was going to Coprinthians my fiorst thought was: he's not going to last long there, not with his ways... and though I was wrong, it's taking much longer than I thought.. I believe, as we can all see, it's about time for him to move on....

23. WitchKingMX

WitchKingMX New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Coapa's Nest
    I think he is just frustated because things haven't gone well and he's not used to the physical game of the Brazilian league.

24. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    The majority of Brasilian players are also from similar backgrounds. Why would this be a detriment to Tevez?