Caribbean Super League?

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by lugger, Jan 3, 2012.

1. lugger

lugger Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I was sobbing about how my FIFA career mode crashed, and a thought slowly formulated, what if all (actually what I meant was some) CFU nations combined to make a Caribbean super league? (Kind of like an Antigua Barbuda Barracudas FC?)

I read up about it and found one formed in the 90s, but failed. Didn’t find out much about it, but this is my idea for the rebirth of it.

These are some of the countries I excluded. Of course some countries already have established leagues (Jamaica, Puerto Rico, T&T, Dominican Republic) and some countries that are… well these ones… Haiti and Cuba. Also excluded those South American nations Also countries that aren’t situated in a place where they can actually make money without travel costs racking up (Bahamas, Bermuda, Turks & Caicos Islands and Cayman Islands.) This list may seem large but being economically stable is as important as developing talent in the region.

This leaves us with 18 countries. Some countries populations aren’t very big (Anguilla at 13,000 and Montserrat at 6,000) so some bigger countries with two or three stadiums (Martinique, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent, Grenada, Barbados) could have two teams.

side note: It would be interesting to see a U.S. Virgin islands and British Virgins Island rivalry spark up.

List of nations with stadium

U.S. Virgin Islands, Lionel Roberts Park: 9,000 I think its baseball setup though?
    British Virgin Islands, A.O Shirley Recreation Ground: 3,000
    Anguilla, Webster Park: 4,000
    Antigua & Barbuda, Sir Vivian Richards Stadium: 10,000 (cricket)
    Saint Kitts & Nevis, Warner Park stadium: 10,000 (cricket)
    Montserrat, Blakes Estate Stadium: 1,000
    Guadeloupe, Stade St. Claude: 3,000 Stade Rene-Serge Najaboth: 3,000
    Dominica, Windsor Park: 12,000 (cricket)
    Martinique, Stade d’Honneur: 16,000 Stade Louis Achille: 9,300 Stade Omnisports: 8,500
    Saint Lucia, National Stadium: 9,000 Beausejour Stadium: 20,000 (cricket)
    Saint Vincent & grenadines, Amos Vale Stadium: 18,000 (cricket)
    Grenada, Grenada national stadium: 9,000 Queen’s Park: 20,000 (cricket)
    Barbados, National Stadium: 7,500 Kensington Oval: 32,000 (cricket)
    Bonaire, Municipal stadium: 3,000
    Aruba, G.P. Trinidad Stadium: 5,500
    Curacao, Stadion Ergilio Hato: 15,000

I probably think at least 12-10 teams would play in the league.

2. Blastow

Blastow Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    This is certainly an interesting idea but there are many factors for which, due to which this league in the nearest decades will not be.
    Firstly - flights are permanent... And when you consider that many island countries in the Caribbean, so we speak, not the rich that will begin permanent failures and withdrawals. Here the usual travel on the buses did not come out...
    Secondly - countries like Jamaica, Cuba, Guadeloupe and Martinique this tournament would not be interesting ... Maybe only a great bonus to be but I doubt it.
    In Jamaica, there is a championship, consisting of 38 games a year, and I doubt that there is exchange it for the matches against all teams of Barbados, the Bahamas, Bermuda, Grenada and the Cayman Islands ...
    Even if the tournament will create a 100% sure that more than 2-3 seasons he will not last.
    In general, in CONCACAF is long overdue in the normal tackle CFU Club Championship... This tournament can make the competition better than the Caribbean Super League.
    And now this tournament - a terrifying nightmare, which testifies to the continuing refusal of clubs from Jamaica and Cuba, but because of the potential they can play in the CONCACAF Champions League.
    And in general, from all six confederations - CONCACAF works worse than the others... Instead of that, to develop football in the regions they are doing just the opposite worse... Champions League and the CFU Club Championship has long needed reforms but nothing has been done ...

3. lugger

lugger Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I was more of thinking about the smaller nations, cause Jamaica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, I think Haiti andPuerto Rico, already have established competitive soccer leagues.

I was thinking of having more of the Leeward and Windward nations having them.

This would offset travel costs, and can't some of these nations (closer to each other) just ride on a boat?:p I mean, I'm not sure if its cheaper than air but...

4. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Well this would significantly reduce its appeal without the "big" countries of the region involved... and it certainly would not be able to live up to its title of Caribbean Super League with the usual suspects out.

5. siebenw

siebenw Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Würzburg, Germany
    What attracts the masses in football is that every country has its own national team and run its own championship. This is in what fans are most interested, you can see that CSL or Welsh Premier League suffer from the absence of their top teams. There is no need of such a Caribbean Super League. We have the CFU Club Championship for the top teams of each country to compete on the ineternational stage. If there is really a true interest in a Caribbean Super League, a group stage like in Championsleague (with home and away games) can be introduced in CFU Club Championship. But I see this only as a plan for a farer future. By now, CFU has to keep the current CFU Club Championship going and guide the national associations to participate with their clubs on a regular basis.

6. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tuesday Oct 22, 2013
    Leaders look at Caribbean league idea
    http://www.concacaf.com/article/leaders-look-at-caribbean-league-idea

quote: Among the wider-ranging topics addressed by top class panelists, CONCACAF’s Sports Summit 2013 discussed the fascinating potential for a professional league for the Caribbean.

CONCACAF President Jeffrey Webb raised the issue when he told guests that in order to improve the competitiveness of national teams from the region, a professional competition was needed.

Kieran Foley Digicel Group Marketing Operations Director, whose company sponsor 17 national federations and national teams in CONCACAF, said the moment was ripe for such a venture.

"We have invested around 180 million in past six to seven years in sport in the Caribbean," said Foley

7. Blue Lou

Blue Lou Member

Nov 13, 2006
    They were Jamaican dollars.. $1.7m US in the past six/seven years

8. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know the logistics of Caribbean soccer so this may not be realistic but this idea actually crossed my mind the other day. If they could pull this off, I think it would do wonders for CFU nations

9. Blue Lou

Blue Lou Member

Nov 13, 2006
    The above was wrong but I can't edit the post.

10. big spaniel

big spaniel Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Arlington, Virginia
    One big question would be the introduction of any "domestic player" rule, which you would want if the point of this exercise is to develop the domestic game and the national team. How many imports would you allow/domestic players that you would require? And would "domestic" mean from any country in the league, of the only from the native country of the particular team?

11. JFoot23

JFoot23 Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Caribbean League promoters look at May start

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) will benefit from a $20million kit sponsorship deal borne out of a partnership that will also promote the Caribbean League Football (CLF).

“All our national teams will be covered under this initiative, all our Pro League teams, our Women’s League, our referees, the TTFA and the Secondary Schools. Everyone will be under the same brand and soon more details will be announced about the sponsorship. but needless to say, the TTFA is very pleased with this deal,” said current TTFA president Raymond Tim Kee.

The three-month league is tentatively set to start at the end of May next year and expected to include yet-to-be named marquee players, foreign players hailing from Central America, South America and Europe and local domestic footballers. The initial investment in the private venture is for two to three years.

Organisers, including Canadian director of the CLF AJ Deber said that negotiations and talks are currently underway with the marquee players as they finalise arrangements for the League.

The league, which will feature doubleheaders on Friday and Saturday and a Caravan concept on Wednesday (moving around to different Caribbean countries), will be preceded by a three-month combine and trial period with players trying out for spots and to facilitate a USA-type draft observed in leagues like the NBA in the build-up to the start of the League.

There will be no franchises, said former T&T footballer and chairman and CEO of the CFL, Chris Anderson Joyeau.

Former director at Brazilian football club Santos, Andre Zonata, said the organisers will also place emphasis on “creating a sustainable youth development programme.”

Joyeau added that in the initial year, Trinidad and Tobago will be the main hub of the league but there are negotiations underway to lease two Dash 8 aircraft to facilitate the movement of at least four teams and accompanying technical officials and media all at one time.

He added that the organisers will be looking at avenues like merchandising, intellectual property and tv broadcast rights to generate revenue for investors.

“My confidence is based in the history of very talented players that have hailed from the Caribbean.....I am also an accountant and the numbers have been crunched and we know what we have to do to be in the black. We have done our due diligence financially and are ready to invest in a Caribbean league so that our players will no longer have to ply their trade in foreign countries. They will be able to work now for good wages here at home,” Joyeau explained.

italiancbr and msilverstein47 repped this.
  12. JFoot23

JFoot23 Member

Jan 18, 2014
    http://blog.cpdfootball.de/2016/11/28/peles-santos-fc-returns-to-the-caribbean-on-45th-anniversary/

The Caribbean Football Trust Limited (CFTL) will create a monumental event in the history of Caribbean football. In 2017 there will be the official launch of the Caribbean League Futbol (CLF) featuring the legendary Pelé’s Brazilian home team of Santos FC from Sao Paulo.

In 1972 Santos FC, featuring three-times Brazilian World Cup winner Pelé toured the Caribbean countries of Jamaica, Suriname and Trinidad & Tobago with much success.

Now, in 2017, 45 years later Santos FC will take center stage in a „Best of Three“ games series kicking off January 27 at the Windsor Park in Dominica continuing January 29 at the Arnos Vale Stadium in St. Vincent and then on February 4, the final game will be played at the Andre Kamperveen Stadium in Suriname.

The final game will be for the prestigious inaugural ISLANDS CUP OPEN and would be versus the newly established Combine Islands FC. CFTL is also preparing to offer fans a “Major International Friendly” bonus game featuring two major international clubs scheduled for February 1 in St. Vincent at the Arnos Vale Stadium.

Several International Elite Marquee players will be representing the Combine Islands FC team as guest players in all three games. The names of these players will be announced in the upcoming weeks.

After years of planning by the Directors of the CTFL and its partners, the Chairman and CFO of the CTFL, Chris Anderson made the announcement yesterday at a Board Meeting.

“This is a proud moment for all of us in the Caribbean as there will finally be a very high profile professional league in the region and our players and coaches can earn a living participating in the sport they love,” said Chris Anderson.

This announcement comes after support (as it relates to the concept and structure) was garnered from several regional associations’ presidents as well as Heads of State and Ministers of Tourism. The vision of stimulating the regional tourism product and placing focus on Sports and Entertainment Tourism as a main platform to drive their tourism products would be of benefit to the region.

CFTL’s main focus is to establish across CARICOM member states modern sports and entertainment complexes, including sports rehab centers and vacation/ residential estate homes. These will be targeted to multi-million dollar earning athletes and entertainers. CFTL is confident that this aspect of the project is of utmost importance for the region.

One of the major aims of the CLF is to fast track the development of young regional footballers and to show-case their talents on the international stage. This will lead to an improvement in the performance of Caribbean players whether at club or national level. It is hoped that this will result in more Caribbean member national teams appearing at FIFA World Cup competitions.

In depth discussions have been on going with entities outside of the CONCACAF region. These include entities from Europe, the Middle East and Asia with regards to investment and sponsorship in this new CLF Intellectual property initiative.

CFTL looks forward to finalizing the commitment of the first set of Marquee Players and Head coaches. These announcements will be made within the next few months in time for the CLF 2017 kick off.

The CLF shall be operational for a twelve weeks period between June and August of each calendar year. The first official competitive season shall consist of scheduled games three days per week: Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays, (all double headers) to be played in the selected countries in two groups of four clubs per hub. In addition to the regular season and its play-off Champions Cup titles CLF shall organize two CLF All Star Teams for annual friendly games at the end of each season to showcase the collective talent of the region. CFTL will host games in markets where international games are not regularly hosted.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  13. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #14 SJJ, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    wow, and they call the NCAA schedule compact. Three games per week? I hope that they schedule off-weeks. (Got it, though, four teams go to a single site, and play a single round-robin.)

All of that babble about their exhibition tournament (the linked article even lists a "Potential bonus game TBA" on Feb 1! Wow!) and All-Star Teams, but the actual league format gets half a paragraph.

14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both in the Copa Centroamericana and some youth tournaments, CONCACAF has national teams play tournaments with only 1 or 2 days off between games. I think CONCACAF has teams play with less rest than comparable tournaments in other confederations.

NCAA Basketball teams rarely play on consecutive days or more than three times in a week other than tournaments at one site. In conference play, teams rarely play three times in a week. I could see NCAA teams being hurt more by being far away from the geographic center of their conference and having long travel than by having to play too often. Connecticut is in the American Athletic Conference with trips to Florida, Louisiana, and Texas. New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT), which used to be the only Independent (team without a conference), joined the Atlantic Sun Conference. The other Atlantic Sun teams are in Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, or Florida. Boston College, Syracuse, and Pittsburgh have trips to Virginia, North Carolina, and farther south than that in the Atlantic Coast Conference. Northeastern is in Boston and plays in the Colonia Athletic Association, where the next nearest school is Hofstra near New York City, and half the teams are in Virginia and farther south. The Pacific 12 Conference has Washington and Washington State play Arizona and Arizona State. The Mountain West Conference has Boise State play San Diego State. The Big Sky Conference has Montana and Montana State play Northern Arizona. The Big Ten Conference has Rutgers (which is near New York City) and Maryland play as far west as Nebraska and Iowa. The Big East Conference has Providence and Creighton, with Creighton being in Omaha. The Western Athletic Conference has Chicago State play Grand Canyon. The Atlantic 10 Conference has Rhode Island go to Davidson (in North Carolina) and Saint Louis. The West Coast Conference has Gonzaga (in Spokane, Washington) and San Diego. That's 12 out of 32 conferences, and there could be other examples.

There are additional examples for teams in difference conferences in football than in other sports. The Colonial Athletic Association has Maine and Richmond for football, and Monmouth (in New Jersey) plays football in the Big South.

15. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ideally sounds like heaven. Logistically may be a nightmare in politics. Countries may not agree on taxes, traveling, and media coverage... Just a few things that may get in the way...

16. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but only for one week. This is talking about twelve weeks. I'm not sure that this would be every week, every other week, two-weeks-on-one-week-off, or whatever. NCAA (soccer) usually plays twice a week (here it's three times a week) for multiple weeks.

17. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    This looks ridiculous. :D