Card Question

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by lufty, Nov 3, 2003.

1. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    I have a question regarding the card situation:

NE -- Marshall Leonard (caution; Pushing, Holding) 4
    MET -- Clint Mathis (caution; Pushing, Holding) 7
    NE -- Jay Heaps (caution; Professional Foul) 38
    MET -- Amado Guevara (caution; Pushing, Holding) 41
    MET -- Joey DiGiamarino (caution; Reckless Foul) 69
    NE -- Shalrie Joseph (caution; Persistent Infringement) 75
    MET -- Mark Lisi (caution; Pushing, Holding) 94+

Do the regular season card points carry over to the playoffs, if so, Who is in trouble and possibly gonna be suspended for a game. If not, then what are the card rules for the playoffs.

2. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no, everybody gets a fresh start.

3. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    Is it 2 yellow cards in the playoffs and your out the next game?

4. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    I thinkthe announcers were saying 8 points and you're out. Most cards are worth 4 points, some are worth 3. Digi's should be worth about 15...

5. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    That tackel is defenitly worth 10 Red Cards (or suspension from the league and 1000 dallar fine).

I'm serious!!!

6. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    I disagree. I was at the game and it didn't seem to be that bad. Both players were going for the ball and happened to hit at the same time. I agree on the Yellow, but it was not as bad as a foul commited by the Revs (Heaps) earlier in the game that resulted in a Yellow.

7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think this is one of those that you can judge better from TV - and I think the ref is probably vindicated for his "yellow" decision based on only seeing it live.

On the replay, you see DiGi realize that he is going to be too late and on a collision course with Cancela, and yet do nothing to try to avoid or cushion the blow.

Probably the best decision would be an "orange".

8. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    I think this is what a 'review committee' within a league is for. I agree that in person it happened so fast you could see it as a freak collision of two people going for the ball. On the replay you see that DiGi had two steps or so to try and avoid the collision (it was going to happen, he could have lessened it) yet he did nothing to pull back, in fact it looks like he lowered a shoulder and maintained speed. I was just grateful that Pepe was the one who was able to get up.

9. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it would seem that five players have to watch out for a card in Chicago to be sure to play in the final. Not too bad.

It also seems that Chicago will be at full strength.

10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the second leg:
    CHI -- Ante Razov (caution; Game Disrepute) 28
    CHI -- Jim Curtin (caution; Reckless Foul) 42
    CHI -- Andy Williams (caution; Game Disrepute) 72
    CHI -- Evan Whitfield (caution; Dissent) 77

What did Razov and Williams do to "bring the game into disrepute?" My guess is it would be an over-enthusiastic celebration, but what is this, the NFL or something. You could also argue that the whining, sniveling little hair-pulling weasel who lost a "handbags at 10 paces" slap-fest to Dema Kovelenko brings the game into disrepute just by stepping on the field, but my parole officer tells me I should "play nice."

Tom

11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Not sure about that, but Whitfield was involved in a little tiff with Stoichkov (surprise!). Whitfield was doing his little choir boy act, waiting to flop over if Stoich put a finger on him, while Stoichkov was virtually foaming at the mouth. Convey came over to try and calm him down and Stoichkov shoved him away like he was a minature poodle. The stunned look on Convey's face was priceless!

What a collection of class acts!

12. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Has anyone been able to confirm that 8 points gets you a suspension? I didn't see anything on MLSnet beside the 11 point cut off.

If it's 11 points everyone should be OK for the finals if they win (Chicago or NE), assuming they don't get a red card.

If it is 8 points, I would think that Joseph's "foul" couldn't be any worse than 3 points and I would hope that Llamosa's would only be 3 as well, so either of them can take another yellow and still play. Not sure of the others...as there doesn't appear to be anywhere to go in MLS.net to find out.