Car Mods you Love or Hate?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Neo¹, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Personally I was a fan of the Fast and the Furious so Im not as outraged by "ricing" as some people are.

I think the Most hated mods nowadays are

Lambo Doors
    Alteeza tail lights
    Wings

I personally have no problem with any of those, the only thing I hate though is when people try to make American Cars esp Cavaliers look Japanese. Whether it be by using body kits or other mods.

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Agreed.

I too am not that putoff by WELL DONE mods on imports.

My list....
    Gaudy body kits or unpainted body kits
    Spinners
    Neon lights on the undercarriage
    Outrageous paint jobs

3. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Taking a wrench and bolting an aluminum whale tail to the trunk of your half orange, half primer grey Dodge Neon.

4. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The Jacky Touch

Sorry, the site is in french but you'll still be able to admire works of art like this Renault 5.

[​IMG]

http://www.chez.com/jacky/

Homemade mod...Hmmm, wait, let's call it Homemod © ! It's really is the best, especially when you're obviously stone broke...And without any form of dignity or self-esteem.

I think somewhere inside of me, I dream about reaching that state actually...:rolleyes:

5. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    id like to add to your list...
    stickers but espically the ones that supposedly make your fuel cap "sporty" and of course "Max Power" stickers.

exhausts the size of small countrys.

three spoke alloys on anything.

aluminium thingys that come in differant colours and go onto the windscreen wipers.

ugghh the list is endless....

6. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  7. CronoGraal

CronoGraal New Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Göteborg Sweden
    Car Mods I love:

Performance mods including big turbos. :p

Car Mods I hate:

Bodykits when the car only has like 170HP.
    Huge ass spoilers...specially on front wheel drive cars.
    Just ************ cars that have external mods really.

8. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Having once pulled alongside a Daewoo Nubira in traffic with tinted windows and a pseudo carbon wing on the back, I hear ya.

Shalom? It's a Daewoo!

My other favorite in the sticker category is the fake bullet hole stickers. It's extra ironic in my neighborhood as there are occassionally real bullets flying around (go Bronx!), but anyway. I saw a green Ford expidition with over 20 fake bullet stickers on the side and it just made you shake your head. Why take a perfectly normal (if environmentally shocking) car and pretend like it's been shot at? That anyone alive thinks you can get streed cred by applying a plastic sticker to one's car, well, it's just about enough to disprove the theories of both natural selection and intelligent design. Well done, miho.

And, any Calvin & Hobbes sticker that involves Calvin peeing I could live without, thanks.

My other favorite is the outrageously lame "can of bees" muffler mods that are all too popular in my hood. Strapping a giant metal can onto your car in no way fools us into thinking that your 1994 Honda Civic hatchback is actually a V-12 Ferrari. Especially since nine times in ten it makes your car sound like a giant lawn tractor begging for a tune up.

9. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Y'know, I've been clicking on this thread since its inception to see what other people have to say about this topic. Many of the things that people have mentioned mean nothing to me cause I know nothing about cars. So while I'd probably recognize the mods that people have named so fan, I wouldn't know how to describe them with the proper words.

However, all that said, I have come to the conclusion that there are zero mods that I would deem acceptable. They're all ridiculous and stupid looking. Nothing you can do to a car is gonna make it look better than what the manufacturer did originally, even if you're starting out with something as ugly as an Aztek or a WRX.

Oh wait. Actually...now that I mention it...there is ONE mod I would kill for...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love that one and especially when the driver thinks he's all that :eek:

11. leftback4

leftback4 New Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://sema.carcrazycentral.com/Article/60

That link goes to an article that talk about a bunch of trends at this year's SEMA show, a lot of which are mod-related. It talks about 34-inch wheels, cars with matte finishing, and some actually useful things that improve the performance of the car rather than just make it look dope.

i kinda like chain links around the rear plate tho, but that's not really a mod, lol

12. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I haven't seen any mods in the last several years that are as bad as those bugged out to the side little wheels people were putting on cars ten or 15 years ago.

13. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spinners. Beloved by NBA rookies and Daily Pick 3 winners.

14. leftback4

leftback4 New Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL!

That's hilarious. The article I linked to mentioned hybrids, which could be interpretted as a "mod" that people are annoyed by, ha ha.

15. leftback4

leftback4 New Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, here's another great article about cars that won "accessory-friendly" awards at SEMA, and they mention a million thinks you can do to trick out your car. They talk about everything from hybrids to SUVs, so it's interesting.

http://sema.carcrazycentral.com/Article/68

16. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Automatic civics with the 12k tach WITH shift light, NOS stickers on the side,
    two chrome rims on the front, 2 stock wheels on the back one without a hub cap, a black hood with pins on it(not carbon fibre, just different colour), Bridgestone AND Goodyear stickers, 4 inch cannon on the back which makes the car sound even more shittier, a huge rear wing like 1metre high, wide bodykit with stock rims?

my blood is boiling

17. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I think the worst is seing 540s and 325s even the 318 aka the Peasant BMW with M badges on it. Its a growing trend. I even saw an M7 and a 4 door M3 on the highway. That annoys me so much, too bad ive never seen had to chance to talk to the owners in person. I want to know why?

18. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    yeh reminds me of dickwads in Skyline GTS-T's with a GTR badges on it doing a burnout

"hey, how are you doing a burnout in an AWD"

"ummm, errrrr, ummmmmm, i....." *speeds off*

19. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    i saw a del-sol in the car park the other day with type-R stickers on it :rolleyes:

sure it was a v-tec s.i.r. but theres no such thing as a type-R del-sol.
    pretty sad really...

20. skijerze

skijerze New Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Wallington
    I cannot stand "riced up" cars.

Accesories that I hate
    - bubblehead

Mods that I hate
    - Blue windshield washer lights
    - ALuminum spoiler
    - Euro plates on non-European cars
    - hidious body kit
    - Altezza lights
    - Spinner :eek:
    [​IMG]

21. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bondo'd cars

I hate spinners I hate em they just make me vomit.

22. skijerze

skijerze New Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Wallington
    Kinda off topic.

I sold my 18" HP Evo today :(. I wasn't there when the guy picked it up. Hubby said, the guy's a ricer. The guy has two loud muffler on his dodge neon.

I got really sad, :p I think he'll be using em as his winter wheels.

[​IMG]

23. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MEh....Ricers will never be able to afford Volks :cool: :D

24. skijerze

skijerze New Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Wallington
    ^

What I don't understand is, they waste their money modifying their rice beater instead of saving it, so they can get a better car. I guess to each his/her own.

BTW, the guy who bought my rims is pretty nice actually :), but too bad, he's a ricer :p

25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm not quite this opposed to spinners, but when I can clearly see that their value (or that of any other set of rims) exceeds the value of the vehicle they're on, it begins to bother me.