Capello USSF?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by JuanPeron, Aug 23, 2007.

1. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/tottenham/article2317544.ece

2. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Tottenham thing is a cover up! Conspiracy Theory: He's actually going to replace Bob Bradley before WC qualifiers start!

3. etastic

etastic New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    god, i hope so, he's a world-class coach.

4. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fire Bradley, lets hire Tom Sohen!!! we don't need world class managers, we need Americans to run our team

5. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But wouldn't it make even more of a statement if we first hired Capello, then immediately fired him for an American? Let's see, we could go with Ellinger, as assisted by Frank Clavijo. :D

6. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    powerful...

I even say have Capello be the #2 to Hackworth

7. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we would get Capello we would be so much better for it

8. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    If we lose to Brazil, Switzerland, and Catalonia then Bradley better fear for his job.

9. ChelseaMatt

ChelseaMatt Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Memphis
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus!!! What is wrong with hiring a manager who actually knows what he's doing for once? Capello is one of the greatest managers in the world. Why the resistance to having him at the helm?

10. etastic

etastic New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Bradley JR will still be starting if poppy gets fired.

11. etastic

etastic New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley Out, Capello In?

Now, I think Bradley's done a decent job, but his roster choices and development leave much to be desired. With a world-class coach like Capello floating around in the aether, the USSF screwed the pooch.

The whole reason BB was INTERIM coach was to wait for a coach like Capello to be available. Well, now he is, and B. Bradley is looking pedestrian and mediocre. Let Bradley lose his next 3 matches (Brazil, Switzlerland, Catalonia), and the USSF will have a decent argument to fire him. I say, pull the trigger boys.

Discuss.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Re: Bradley Out, Capello In?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=456173&cc=5901

I'm not sure this has been discussed much on Big Soccer, because its been under the radar a little. Notice in this article, as a sidenote really, it mentions Capello is in London talking to the USSF. I actually heard this on Sky Sports as well last night. The gossipers thought he was in London to talk to Spurs, when in reality it was talks with the USSF. Not necessarily the head coaches position, by the way.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I will say one thing, Capello may be a great coach, but probably could name 3 US players. And it would take him, or any foreign coach, a while to figure out the madness which is US Soccer.

Maybe, just maybe, Bradley's a lame duck coach. Maybe he knows it, maybe the player's know it.

14. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Well US Soccer has said they wanted to hire somebody as a technical director, overseeing all programs (and we desperately need new direction in the youth programs, IMO)

This wouldn't be a bad choice, right? But wouldn't Capello want to manage directly?

This sounds promising. I'd rather not be optimistic about USSF though. They'll let me down.

15. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would not take nearly as long as you imply for the coach to determine what his player pool is -- a month or two max. With the digital age upon us, an enormous archive of players' performances, and the right editing, he could learn who his top 80 players are very quickly.

The question is ... did anyone see him at the US vs. Sweden game? :eek:

Ok ... I didn't either, but maybe he was lurking around in disguise somewhere? :cool:

16. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Your sarcasm meter is SERIOUSLY broken

this isn't the first time for you.

17. drdi

drdi Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Porto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fabio capello is one of the BEST coaches in the world. he comes from a country that is the zenith of tactical football, he coached the best clubs in europe, his record has no peer.
    the simple fact is that our managers and perhaps our players usually are very naive, not because they are not competent or with quality but because they have too litle experience against powerfull opponents- we have a pretty good team if only the best US players were selected, physically , technically, tactically.
    Fabio capello off course knows how to build a team, he perfectly knows how to pick the BEST players, and with his extremely high prestige he can psycologically improve our players, be a leader without questions , putting in the bench or at home some players that , although with great history , simply do no have anymore the quality to defend our colors.
    why does he want to go to the USA?
    1- he rightly think the usa sooner or later will be a very stong team ( with him it would be much sooner ). he wants to become a part in the development of the usa soccer.
    2-he probably wants a new challenge- he won everything except a world title.
    3- the USA is a very agreable place to live and he could earn a fair amount of money
    so i really think he can be an extremelly valuable coach for our USMNT

18. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    I would be thrilled to death if he took over coach for Bradley, not that I have anything against BB but Capello is a world class manager, he would help us incredibly.

19. jamesl

jamesl Red Card

Jul 16, 2007
    I can see it now:

Capello as US manager.
    Bradley to LA.
    Yallup to San Jose.

20. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not fire Bob Bradley unless Cappello comes out and says he would like to run the US National team. I feel that Bob has done a decent job, and he has won the Gold Cup but we were supposed to win that. I do not think we did that badly in Copa america. We did nt get out of the group, but considering the team and the little practice time we had at least we did not get blown out like people though would happen.

I would fire him if we lose to Switzerland and Catalonia. I we lost aginst Brazil i would not hold that against him as they have their first team, and I just hope we have good defending on that day.

Simon T

21. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would do wonders for LA :rolleyes: . ....hmmm shouldn't LA go for someone they KNOW can work well with Beckham? McLaren, anyone? :D

22. DoTheVillage

DoTheVillage New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Although and American, Bruce Arena moved the ball forward greatly in this country, a previous foreign born manager, Bora, was the one to help elevate the game here in the States.

So this theory within the US that we should pass on a foreign coach in favor of someone who understands the US system is shortsighted. Klinsman passed on the opportunity -if reports are to believed- because the USSF was unwilling to give him more of a share in the power structure behind the USMNT. Klisman's success in WC 2004 can be tracked back to him taking on the German Federation and proving there were other choices.

From my vantage point Bradley has yet been able to find the chemistry within his player pool that both Bora and Arena had a knack for. One must ask if the players themselves have faith in Bradley's system.

The USMNT needs to elevate their game if they want to succeed in 2010-14-18. AS we witnessed during the Gold Cup, we have other CONCACAF teams to consider as threats than just our southern neighbor Mexico.

Automatic WC qualification isn't written in stone.

23. DoTheVillage

DoTheVillage New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    OOPS! 2006

24. Deaf65

Deaf65 New Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Fairport, NY

Same for Jonathan Bornstien, Bob hav e a thing for him because he kept starting him in nearly EVERY match despite the fact he is horrible in many aspects except speed.