Cap-onomics

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Bootsy Collins, Mar 17, 2010.

1. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

tsk-tsk - VERBS are conjugated - NOUNS are declined - so are nuns - usually

2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahaha, you just know we didn't learn that in SC :D Well, really we did, and I knew it was the wrong word, I just could not remember what the right word was, I should have put it in quotes :)

Hmmm, so my credit cards are nouns, that makes sense :D

3. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I could rep this...

4. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    In that context, I believe it's an abbreviation of yungin. As in, Young One (or ones) became yungin's, became yuns, which is then used as y'uns = your yungins.

5. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    I don't know who said it, but the coach he was talking about was Bear Bryant. Great quote -- the Gold Standard of what it means to be a difference-maker as a coach.

Damn right

That's allright, cuz. It ain't no thang.

6. itwasi

itwasi Member+

May 9, 2008
    I don't know
    Club:
    DC United
    Kyle Sheldon twitter
    I infer there really isn't any money left under the cap.

I'm betting Allsopp, Castillo, Pontius, and Pena are all making far, far more than we estimated.

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    This is what Goff reported a while back too. There may be some bit of space left, but there's nowhere near what people around here were presuming before the season started.

8. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my original analysis on the first page, I put Allsopp at $200k and Castillo at $250k. If they're each making far, far more than we estimated, then my disgust at the management of the team's salary budget has gone up another few notches.

9. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    And I'm betting two of the four don't make it past July.

10. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seconded.

11. itwasi

itwasi Member+

May 9, 2008
    I don't know
    Club:
    DC United
    I looked back at those estimates and fear both of them are making far, far more. Well, maybe not Castillo but it's quite easy to see this FO highly overpay Allsopp, Castillo (although I think $250-is an accurate estimate for overpaying him), Pontius, and Pena.

12. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    and I was hoping you were on the high side.....

13. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e1dYIWu2ME&feature=related"]YouTube- Stuart Mackenzie - If You Think I'm Sexy[/ame]

14. Sockey

Sockey Member

Jan 13, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without going back and looking, has everyone accounted for raises from last year to this year? Didn't we spend some significant money towards re-signing Namoff, as well as give Quaranta a raise, too? Also, what's up with James' salary? It seems like I remember both James and Q being brought in for absolute dirt cheap the last few years, and I know for sure Q got a raise since then, so maybe we brought James up too(read: overpaid at least a little).

Like I say though, I haven't gone back and looked at y'all's estimated $-divvying.

15. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regular annual salary escalation was considered. Contract renegotiations were not; but I'm not aware that Namoff, Q, or James were renegotiated *specifically this past offseason*. (Q got renegotiated between 08 and 09, IIRC).

But the real point of the earlier analysis is that we appeared to have cleared so much more salary than we took on that even if you figure there are sizeable mistakes, there still appears to be a lot of room. So if there isn't, we're talking even more black marks on our roster management, IMHO.

16. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    The actual cap went up 10% to $2.55 million (Bootsy's initial post factored in an extra 100k to spend, and I think there should actually be an extra $240,000 just from the higher cap).

So the major credits this year:
    Emilio--415,000
    increased cap--240,000
    Fred--225,000
    Gomez--$200,00 for our portion(?)
    Ben--225,000
    Crayton--85,000
    Szetela--50,000(100k prorated?)
    $1.44 million

Not sure I ever saw a figure for N'Silu, and I'll leave out the smaller potato(e)s like Jacobsen, Janicki, Ryan Miller, and do the same on the payout side for 2010.

So if we guess really high on:
    Castillo (300)
    Allsopp (250);
    Pena (300);
    Pontius (200)
    Perkins (250)
    Wallace (50)

That's $1.35 million. It's depressingly closer to the max than I would have thought possible--enough that it could be swallowed by raises. I still think, hope and pray that the above overstates the Castillo/Allsopp/Pena/Perkins/Pontius salaries by at least $250k.

So..who gets canned first: Allsopp or Kasper?

17. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are people getting that his contract was renegotiated (with a big raise) this past offseason? Did that happen, and I missed it?

18. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    Feb. 4--Soccer Insider:
    Pontius signs new contract with D.C. United

Chris Pontius, who started 23 league matches and played numerous positions in his rookie season last year, has signed a new long-term contract with D.C. United, the club announced Thursday morning.

Although terms were not disclosed, it's safe to say he will receive a significant pay raise after agreeing to a base salary of $36,000 and guaranteed compensation of $66,000 before last season. His previous deal was probably two years plus two club-held option years, with incentives and incremental raises.

19. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK.

If your supposition is right, though, and his base contract went to $200k, I'm going to start looking for things to throw at P&K.

20. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    Yeah--$100k or even $125k seems more likely.

21. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    Isn't it getting close to that time of year when the MLSPA leaks the list of player salaries to Goff? Hopefully that'll settle things... or at least make it glaringly clear that there's Calvinball going on, if we add up all the salaries and they're well below the cap.

22. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    Normally, those numbers would be out. I assume the labor negotiations put the data-gathering on hold.

...Or maybe Garber agreed to give every team an extra few bucks in annual cap space if the union stops leaking the salary numbers.

23. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am Winoman and I endorse this post!

24. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if that works. Add up last year's numbers, and we come in significantly over the cap. Same is true for a lot of teams' numbers.

I think there's a lot of Calvinball going on all the time. That's why I tried to consider "salary gained - salary dumped" -- in the hopes that the Calvinball going on this year is the same as the Calvinball that went on last year.

25. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Can someone describe to me, what the heck calvinball means? I think of this:

[​IMG]