Canucks in Germany - September 2007

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CanuckFan, Sep 4, 2007.

1. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    No heroics for Daniel Imhof as he stays on the bench as VfL Bochum lose away 3-2 to Hannover 96 on Saturday.

In the Bundesliga 2, on Friday, Kevin McKenna went 90 minutes for FC Koeln as they draw 1-1 away to 1860 Muenchen. Nik Ledgerwood did not play for 1860 on Friday but did see action with the reserves on the weekend and badly injured his ankle - he will be out for at least 4 months.
    Patrice Bernier's FC Kaiserslautern drew 2-2 away to TuS Koblenz on Friday but Patrice was still suspended for his red card a couple of games ago.

On Sunday, Borussia Moenchengladbach had a 2-1 win over VfL Osnabrueck, with Rob Friend assisting on Neuville's second, early in the 1st half and going the distance in the win.

Jonathan Bourgault had the winner on Sunday as FC St Pauli amateurs won 2-1 in the Oberliga Nord.

Kennedy Owusu-Ansah was man of the match as he scored both goals on Sunday in Hertha Berlin's 2-1 win over FC Carl Zeiss Jena in the A-Junioren (U19) Bundesliga.

2. hodgkiss

hodgkiss New Member

May 21, 2006
    Toronto
    fantastic for jbb and koa!!! i really like koa, i think he will be a very omportant part of our canadian future!

bad about ledgerwood. man that sucks!

3. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Funny that KOA saw so little action in the U20 WC.

Also, from the MOACA thread above, both Cody Cook and (I think) Eddy Sidra are seeing action in the Energie Cottbus youth teams (although some confusion on the names for Sidra - Sidra Maher is the player listed as a U19).

Also, Oscar Aguero, 18 year old striker is also with the Cottbus youth teams. I think he is from BC. He made a sub appearance on Saturday with their U18's.

4. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    With the big leagues out of action for the international break, the 3rd and lower divisions were still active this weekend.

Hansa-Rostock amateurs dropped a 2-0 decision on Saturday with Ryan Gyaki back for the full 90 minutes as an attacking m/f. The loss puts Hansa-Rostock back in 2nd place in the Oberliga Nord/Nordost, behind Hertha Berlin amateurs.
    No sign of young Kennedy Owusu-Ansah with the Hertha Berlin 2nd squad who drew on Sunday.

In the Oberliga Nord, Jonathan Bourgault continues to shine for the FC St. Pauli amateurs, scoring in his 2nd straight game, apparently playing as a striker as the FC St. Pauli amateurs drew FC Oberneuland 1-1 over the weekend.

The U19 Junioren Bundesliga was also on hiatus this past weekend.

5. hodgkiss

hodgkiss New Member

May 21, 2006
    Toronto
    the first time i saw koa play was against brazil in the 3 match series a couple of years ago... and i thought he stood out then - a rock on teh backline! now he's scoring goals? i heard he tried out or was trainging with an mls team (i think chicago or la) last year or the year before and was close to scoring in his debut as well. he plays with such maturity and it's hard to believe that he got such little playing time in teh u-20's... although ( it hink he will be there for 2009) hopefully he will be a regular starter in teh next fifa ywc or even a sub role with the mens team for a european based match!

thansk for all teh coverage canuckfan!

6. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yallop had him down in LA for a bit before he went over to Germany. I think that would be the MLS team you are thinking of.
    The Hertha club is a great place for him to be, the biggest club in the area and the U19 Bundesliga is a good development league.

7. frank_e

frank_e New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Kaiserslautern
  8. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Any news on Josh Simpson coming back from his injury Frank??

9. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still out. It was a serious injury and they do not want to rush him back.

10. frank_e

frank_e New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Kaiserslautern
    The question is justyfied...The problem is, that even here in KL in our local press there is any coverage of Josh´s condition. If he is back in training with the squad, when he will be back.
    For me it sounds like a mistreatment or a misdiagnosis.
    I saw the games this season, and for me he is needed...the sooner the better...

11. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Pro debut (only top 2 leagues are considered pro in Germany) for Jonathan Bourgault as he comes on in the 83rd minute in today's 3-1 win for FC St Pauli over Kickers Offenbach in the Bundesliga 2.
    K'town fail to win again, a 0-0 draw at home to SC Paderborn, no Cdns in the match (Bernier finishing his 3 game suspension, Simpson injured).

12. frank_e

frank_e New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Kaiserslautern
    The best on the K´town game was that Patriec´s suspension is over. I´ve never seen a team playing so headless, without ideas, movement and chances. I´m in good heart with his return it only can get better.
    Tonight M´Gladbach will visit Aue. Rob will start, his coach Luhukay is very satisfied with him.
    http://www.borussia.de/de/borussia_news_detail,185,0,newsid-147943.html

13. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word is that Josh Simpson may be fit for Kaiserslautern's game in Freiburg on Sunday.

14. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Promising news on Josh. Thanks.

Rob Friend scores his first, 2-0 BM up on Erzebirge Aue at the half.

15. frank_e

frank_e New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Kaiserslautern
    In deed good news on Josh, although I think an appereance at Freiburg on Sunday will be to early. Nevertheless knowing he will be back givers hope for the next games. Hopefully we can see him soon together with Patrice

16. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bernier is in the lineup for Kaiserlsautern in Freiburg. Simpson is still out. They are going to give him one more week.

17. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Rob Friend seems to be linking up well with Oliver Neuville in attack for BM. Another win today, Neuville with 2, Rob Friend with the 3rd. FC Augsburg make it interesting coming back to 3-2 but a late counter by BM gives Rob's team the win. Back in the promotion hunt!

1860 continue their winning ways, beating visitors FC St Pauli 2-1, JBB on the bench for the Hamburg side.

18. hodgkiss

hodgkiss New Member

May 21, 2006
    Toronto
    bundesliga 2 - rob friend (monchengladbach) faces jbb (st. pauli) and they beat them 3-0. friend burries one at the '40 mark.

19. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Trainer, Rekdal had good things to say about Josh Simpson at the press conference today:

Kaiserslautern Homepage

The gist is that Rekdal is impressed with Simpson in training and more importantly in his attitude.

There was also an interview with Simpson at the press conference:

20. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  21. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both Josh Simpson and Patrice Bernier in the projected game day lineup for Kaiserslautern vs Kickers Offenbach.

22. Razcle

Razcle New Member

May 18, 2007
    Waterloo
    Nice lob indeed. Thank for the video footage ^

23. frank_e

frank_e New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Kaiserslautern
    Kevin McKenna scored Colognes 2nd goal after 5 minutes. After taking a 2:0 lead, Kickers Offenbach pulled one back, score after 34 minutes 2:1 for the hometeam

24. hodgkiss

hodgkiss New Member

May 21, 2006
    Toronto
    robbie friend scores 2 today

25. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nice thread. ;)

"Kevin McKenna vs Rob Friend" ... this should be an interesting duel tonight (just half an hour to go until the start of the DERBY). ;)

C'mon Rob, do it again!!! :cool: