Can't win if Can't score.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Richter Boy, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Richter Boy

Richter Boy New Member

Mar 1, 2000
    Soulard, STL
    I love all this idiotic "we played great" babble about last nights game. The quakes cannot score, and therefore they will not win. This is a basic tennant of the game.

They might as well have played awful if they were just going to go out and lose anyway.

2. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. RB cuts through the crap. BTW, it's "tenet."

3. GolazoSr

GolazoSr New Member

Jul 5, 2002
    Sunnyvale, CA
    I can add is that losing so miserably (wasting a penalty, giving away another) and coming out blabbering all those stupid excuses makes the Quakes lose fans, particularly when playing in front of a sold out stadium.

4. Richter Boy

Richter Boy New Member

Mar 1, 2000
    Soulard, STL
    Thanks for the correction, I should know better!

I started this forum out of anger when I saw all the "happy" messages on the post game thread. I watched the game- the galaxy knew what they were doing the whole time. The quakes never looked all that dangerous.

5. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll add one to that RB. I am not happy either. Any loss to LA is unforgiveable.

6. ianrocks24_7

ianrocks24_7 New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    California!
    Judging by the posts, I see that the quakes did not step up against the galaxy? In my opinion, it's been a while since the quakes have come on the field and looked dangerous. In many of the games I saw, the quakes came out and just played the full 90 minutes. In the beginning of the season, the quakes were always on the prowl and looked very hungry for the ball. Now the team looks like they just want to survive the 90 minutes. Is it just me?? What can they do to change that before they go to defend the MLS title??

--GO QUAKES!!

7. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you play for Arsenal/Liverpool etc... you don't suck against Man U.

As for the Quakes, you don't suck against LA. The goal is to get one more than them.

However, this game was an exception. If this was for the championship...

8. Red Raider

Red Raider New Member

Feb 4, 2000
    I think we did look dangerous on a number of plays although it is true we did not put the ball in the net.

On the bright side we took at least 21 shots, many on goal, and Hartman was diving so much I thought he was in a Olympic diving competition. He sure earned a ten (10) on a number of saves. So to moan about not looking dangerous seems to ignore the actual run of play against a team that packed it in, played vigorous defense, and caught a break at the end.

Cobi Jones is famous for the move where he stops and lets the defender run into him. I have to give him credit for this; it drew the foul, although I question whether it was warranted when an attacker stops so this will happen.

In any case, the loss or a tie meant exactly the same thing. We played well enough to win against a very good team. We showed cohesion on defense and a strong build up on offense, characteristics which were evident last year in our run for the MLS Championship.

Hartman probably needed medical attention for the bruises on his body from deflecting Earthquakes shots. On another day, those shots will go in. Let's hope that happens in Foxboro.

9. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

EXACTLY.....so what if the Quakes controlled 2/3 of the field, so did Mexico when they played USA in WC elimination, all it got them was a 2-0 defeat and some free time in Japorea. I've been warning people that we don't have the horses for this derby for months and I get called negative and Chicken Little. Like I said before, I said the Quakes would win MLS Cup 2001 when others were gonna be happy with a victory over the Crew in the first round. This year we WILL be lucky to beat the Crew in the first round. LA is a one trick pony.....the Crew got 3 goals the last time they were here and unless we get Cunningham and Buddle and Mcbride under control we will be in a hurt.

10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My son stoutly maintains that if you miss a penalty, you're going to lose the game. I'm afraid this is one of those (few) times I agree with him 100%.

Anyway, if we're going to go at all far in the playoffs, we NEED to get some goals. L-Do is (apparently) a big game player, and it's time for him to step up and deliver. He's been (ducks behind see-through shield) relatively atrocious since returning from Korea. I know, I know, life's not fair and he's been victimized by some quesionable (non)calls, but a true champion rises to the occasion rather than sinking into excuses. I shall be very interested to see how he performs during the playoffs, as I see this as a real test for him. With a team devastated by injuries, it's time for a player who is billed as a superstar to really, and finally, earn that designation.

11. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I had to catch myself when the Quakes were awarded the PK. I was excited that maybe the worm had turned and that this was good karma making up for the offside call at LA...then the little voices in my head stepped in and said "wait...he could still miss this..."

Yeah, that's right, blame it on the voices in my head.

12. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Well, the funny feeling I had in my gut was just as guilty then. The same funny feeling before Corrales missed his last attempt. :(

13. Ramiros_Soccer_Chica

Jun 10, 2001
    Nor-Cal
    Corrales should have made it. I have to give him his props because he's really been stepping up lately. I think it's the yellow (not golden) cleats. Haha..or the playing off the field.

I totally agree with the fact that SJ hasn't really been stepping up as a whole though. They go all the way then just fall and ruin it. The game is judged on scoring not effort.

TRANSFORM
    MARI