Cannon, Cunningham, Kreis.... USMNT worthy??

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by foote5252, Jul 6, 2005.

1. foote5252

foote5252 New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    me and a friend of mine were kicking around some great MLS names that never really have gotten a true legit shot to strut there stuff on the nat'l team level. and these 3 names we found to be the most "scratch ur head" worthy. kreis being the all time leader in goals in MLS and has been very consistent his entire career. Cunningham a great scorer who could bring a rare dimension to the attack up front with his speed and elusivness. and Cannon is just as consistent and professional as it gets. but yet guys like rimando and reis garner more nat'l team attention. just wondering what everyone elses views were in regards to these 3 players and why or why not u think they belong in the pool of players. and also, if u have any other worthy names, feel free to post them. what say you??

2. Steel Keeper

Steel Keeper Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Kreis is the epitome of a good domestic player but nothing beyond that. 14 caps 1 goal. Nuff said. Short, lacks great pace, etc. Game doesn't translate well.

I'll give Cannon the benefit of the doubt.

Cunningham is very much in the same league as Kreis. Game might translate better. Good, just not good enough.

Now to the guys I'd like to see... Well I think Arena has done quite well uncovering guys previous coaches wouldn't consider but there are a few names I would like to see called into camps after the World Cup. It is too late to make any drastic call-ups for future competitions. The only thing that matters now is the World Cup. The guys further down the list are post-July '06

Spector (darkhorse for LB starter in Germany)
    Marshall
    Quaranta (hope he gets to play)
    Buddle
    Dunivant
    Burciaga
    Adu (maybe playing with the MNT is what he needs)
    Wynne
    Feilhaber
    Gaven
    Cooper (actually I'd like to see him play in MLS)
    Philipakos
    Ward
    Ihelmu

3. WishHoustonHAdATeam

WishHoustonHAdATeam New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Houston Texas
    Cunningham has a streak of petulance.....Kreis is old and slow...and Cannon is good enough but there are three Keeps in front of him far better than good enough

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Cunningham was awful at the USMNT level, would dribble into defenses, never look for his team mates, et cetera. Jeff is a negative answer to "what if Vick played soccer?", a very good athlete with a five cent head. A part of it may have been due to Andrulis, as Cunningham is playing better this year for Clavijo but Arena did give him a chance in the past.

Kreis, IMO, was given chances at the time when the US midfield didn't dominate anyone and Jason couldn't create much for himself. His fate may have turned out differently in 2,005. Unlike Taylor Twellman, this guy doesn't need five sitters to score one goal but time passed him by.

Joe Cannon is a mystery. I don't think Hahnemann is better than him but something must not have gelled between him and Bruce.

5. Chung'sleftboot

Chung'sleftboot New Member

Apr 3, 2004
    Joe Cannon and Keller are equal in my eye technically. The only difference is Keller's experience. Joe is still young and should be either back-up or # 3 through the next year. He should be given a REAL chance to compete for the starting position for the WC. Let's see him in a qualifier or two!!! :)

6. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

Next queston, please.

7. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kries has 14 caps .... sounds like a legit shot to me.
    which games should bruce have benched kasey or brad to play cannon?

8. Chung'sleftboot

Apr 3, 2004
    Brad is done with international soccer. However he did beat out Keller in 02, even though Keller was considered a lock to start. I'm not saying Keller shouldn't start, he is definitely number one right now. I just want Joe to get a fair shot at making the team. And the best way is to get some REAL time with the first team. Let it all hang out in front of everybody. :)

9. Heathens '87

Heathens '87 Member

United States
    Mar 4, 2004
    Michigan
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cannon is a solid keeper, perhaps 4th or 5th on the US depth chart. He'll make some rosters, but he's a longshot to make a WC squad. He's just not at that level, and by playing in MLS, his lack of "big game" experience will keep him there.

Kreis is a solid MLS player, but I never thought he had the game to do much with the national team, which he proved. Again...he's just not at that level.

Cunningham is a bit frustrating, as he's had some time, but has failed to make the adjustments needed in his game to go from MLS to the USMNT. Most important, he is a bit selfish, and at that level, it's a team game. We could use another solid striker, but I think Arena won't look at Jeff because he'll disrupt the teamwork that is leading to increased production from our national squad.

Of those three, Cannon and Kreis are what they are, but Jeff could've been so much more.........

10. Chung'sleftboot

Apr 3, 2004
  11. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for the record, joe is awesome. love him

but he picked a bad time to be a keeper in the USofA.

12. todd_knode

todd_knode New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    San Diego via DC
    agreed.

all of these guys are pretty good but there are several players in their positions that are a level above them.
    Gk is set for the WC already. Keller, Howard, MLS keeper (who won't play).
    Forward has Donovan, Johnson, McBride, Wolf, Casey, Ching and maybe one other.

13. Heathens '87

Heathens '87 Member

United States
    Mar 4, 2004
    Michigan
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hahnemann is ahead of any MLS keeper, and you can put Quaranta, Twellman, Eskandarian, and many others in front of Cunningham and Kreis at this point.......

14. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Re Kreis:

He is a true tweener and had too much competition at his position -- for example, Moore and Mathis in the past, Donovan and Noonan in the present. He was a center midfielder without Reyna's advantages who was forced to play at forward most of his MLS career. At forward, he can't play target forward and likes to run at people but was never as deadly as other players who liked to do that for the NT (e.g., Wolff).

That being said, I don't think he ever got a great trot out. In my memory he had one big game against Jamaica that involved a 30 yard bomb goal that would have been an "all time" goal if scored by Reyna. His real Waterloo was the Birmingham match against Tunisia where he missed a single sitter. Most of his other caps were the "we need a goal in the last 10 minutes" variety. Not very helpful for most forwards to gel with a team.

I suspect that if he were a bit younger and played a different position, he'd get a look a la Ralston or Zavagnin. Arena has shown the capacity to look at older, less thoroughbred players in the recent years than he did in the previous cycle. For whatever reasons, BA simply didn't rate Kreis highly enough. That being said, some players forced their way into the team by performing well (i.e., Mathis).

I really wish he'd give Cunningham one more try, as we simply could use one more forward to have some seasoning in case of injuries to McBride, Johnson, Twellman, Wolff and the other (now) injury-prone forwards.

15. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have liked to see a pairing of Cunninham and Casey up front. That would be a true speed-size combo. Cannon was fantastic last year, but hasn't been quite as good this year. Might as well give Reis/Hahnemann a shot (Keller better not play every game). As for Kreis, absolutely not. He wouldn't start on many teams in MLS, let alone the USMNT.

16. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard? really? I bet hahneman has a MUCH better shot at the No. 2 job. I wouldnt doubt if bruce left tim home all together rather than bring him as no. 3 ...

17. Heathens '87

Heathens '87 Member

United States
    Mar 4, 2004
    Michigan
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not a chance....Tim is seen as the future as he'll go just to get a taste of the WC level of play, preperations, and atmosphere. You take a #3 as a veteran influence (Meola) or as an investment in the future if the keeper for the next WC seems clear. Tim will go...behind Marcus as the #3, in my opinion.

18. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    a friendly acquaintance of mine who is one of the main USA players "Cunningham needs to use his teammates more". I think that was a nice way of saying he can't or he won't pass the ball.And that is his problem with the USMNT.

19. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

he could've brought Tim Howard last time, too ... with Keller and Friedel, it woulda been perfect. but he didn't. so I don't buy the 'give him a taste' arguement. if he's not playing first team ball, he's not going. I think bruce would leave him there to fight for playing time rather than take him away and set him back further.

but who knows? your guess is as good as mine.

:)

20. Heathens '87

Heathens '87 Member

United States
    Mar 4, 2004
    Michigan
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but in 2002, Howard was 22, the 10th rated keeper in MLS with a 1.61 GAA, and based largely on showing promise on youth national teams, he was given 1 cap prior to WC02. He was an interesting experiment for the team at that point, but with a first cap in March '02 in a friendly, it was not at all clear that he was going to be in the mix for 2006, while having little value to the USMNT in 2002. Maybe he was going to be there 2010, but that was a 8 years and 2 WC's off.

I'm suggesting that the federation will look one WC ahead, and want someone who has been there, seen it, tasted it. I think we'd have to go back to 1990 to find the US starting someone without prior WC experience.

Howard came into his game largely after 2002, and I wouldn't think that then, as I don't know, that Arena is going to try to guess who is a starter for 2014. He will keep an eye toward the next WC, or at least the federation will push him to do so at the keeper position.

Keller will be gone by 2010, Marcus is seen as a back-up now and might be someone who gets in the mix, and Howard will be given every opportunity to claim the job in 2010. You can't say that right now about any MLS keeper, so that's why I think Arena and the federation carry Tim next summer. We can agree to disagree, but I'd put this one at 95% certain.....seems like a no-brainer.

21. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

huh. I think the same thing.

:)

22. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to steal a quote from another thread:

What has howard done, besides wearing a Vodafone logo on his chest, to show he's worthy of even being on the roster?

23. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you mean besides play exceptionally well on his mls team (good enough to be signed by a european powerhouse), and then win goalkpeer of the year in england? oh i don't know.

what has marcus hanheman has done besides wear a vodafone logo on his chest?

.. oh wait

24. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hell, jeff agoos was a good mls player three years ago, too. CAP GOOSE!!!!!

Jovan was signed by the same European powerhouse as Timmy. CAP KIROVSKI!!!!!

perhaps I should make this a little simplier for you ... what has Howard done RECENTLY to earn the job? you know, besides look incredibly shaky, getting benched and having his callups to the nats dry up.

being a good MLS player three years ago doesn't earn you a WC spot. having a fancy address doesn't either. it's results, and Timmy doesn't have 'em (and most likely won't be getting them over the next year, either. backups rarely do)

25. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes
    no
    no