Canetti Out

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by MLSNHTOWN, Oct 26, 2018.

1. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    http://www.espn.co.uk/football/match?gameId=254596

Few things worth noting:
    It's a team of internationals with like 3 journeyman schlubs getting time. That has now reversed.
    3 draft picks played, including a player picked that year (Cameron). People give Kinnear stick on that -- and to some extent deserved -- but the curve on that has only gone further downward since.

2. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one disparages His name. The One who taught Chuck Norris to fight. Who punched His dad before He was born.

No one.

3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, just stop, you don't work there anymore, you helped drive the franchise into the ground, go do you cushy self-created Sports Authority job and shut up with the analysis of the Dynamo.

If the team wants to intentionally not make the playoffs and curtail ticket sales, they'll call you for tips on what you did to "achieve" both those things

DynamoManiac repped this.
  4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an extremely rich take coming from a guy with a minor-league baseball mindset who's dream job I thought was the Yankees

CeltTexan repped this.
  5. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of this man and his indeed cush gig up at the Houston Sports Authority to make sure Houston takes part in the 2026 World Cup. Which being a host city is a given for our NRG. We are all assured of for years now with NRG being 70,000+ all seater and climate controlled with natural grass capable, just how much tax payers dollars does Chris receive at such a make believe type city hall type position?
    I mean with NRG and our soccer culture in Houston, it isn't "if" some man or woman has to sales pitch NRG for any World Cup games, this is a given. FIFA just needs to decide if the Rose Bowl will host the Grand Final once again just like 1994 and 1999 or will FIFA look to New Jersey and Giants Stadium. Or Soldier Field and or NRG. Imagine the eyes of the world fixed on our city for the big day when Houston hosts the World Cup Grand Final?!?
    Better earn your corn Chris! Secure the Grand Final over back East or Chicago. We have the best stadium in the nation here in town. One that is ideal for a Summer Tournament as it can guarantee 70 degree temp at kickoff and a lush grass playing surface.

6. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Houston's far from guaranteed to host, not that he'll have much impact either way. Dallas is guaranteed to host, which makes Houston a possible but not a guaranteed location given proximity to Dallas.

ElNaranja and *rey* repped this.
  7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like a pretty cush job for 7 years for an event that we have about a 90% chance of hosting. He sucked as Dynamo President but was crafty enough to get himself a portion of the permanent employment act

The whole Sports Authority was supposed to be an entity that built the stadiums and then kept collecting their portion of the extra local taxes (hotel motel and car rental) to continue to pay off the stadium debt and not do anything else. Like every other governmental agency, they determined they should help promote Houston sports and do that silly Houston awards show and paid pieces that the Comical err Chronicle publishes.

So now its a friendly land place at high salaries for folks with no real accountability.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/article/Sports-authority-s-mission-has-evolved-in-last-20-12207653.php

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the USOC attendance from last September put us over the top :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jerry World in Dallas for sure, I think Houston is 85-90% to host. A number of cities have dropped out and others are clearly second-tier. Houston's only drawback is being somewhat ugly and a few Mexico cities will host. But facilities and accomodations are better than most.

9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, Houston was a finalist for the 2012 Summer Olympics my friend. It came down between London and Houston. I know as I was on our city's Olympic bid committee. As our association football representatives. Me and our old HHFC owner.
    One thing FIFA loved about World Cup USA1994 was and still is our bif seater NFL stadiums. Which when filled made for incredible scenes at all the games that Summer in '94.
    USA1994 is still the highest attendance mundial and the highest average. USA1994 was the very last of the World Cups to be 24 nations.
    Houston is assured of getting group and knockout round matches my friend.

10. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    ???? Houston wasn't even a finalist. The five cities the IOC had to choose from were London, NYC, Madrid, Moscow and Paris. Moscow was out in round one of voting. NYC went out in round two, Madrid out in round three and in the final round London beat out Paris 54-50.

11. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think you're confusing the USOC process of selecting the US bid with the IOC process, but even there you're off. There were 4 US finalists: NYC, San Fran, Houston and Baltimore/DC. Houston and Baltimore were eliminated and the decision came down to San Fran or NYC. NYC won the vote.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incorect.
    The process started in 2000.
    Which after the success of Atlanta1996 the IOC desired to return to the U.S.A.
    Those cities you listed were indeed in the running with Houston anf London as favorites.
    Us in Houston had our Olympic bid very strong with U of H Olympic Gold medalists like Carl Lewis at the head of our Houston2012 delegation. Then Hakeem Olajuwon and McCoy Maclamore as our basketball chairmen. For the IOC and the Summer Games there are the three sports of track n field, basketball and of course association football that dominates the games. Generates the revenue for women's kayak and the like. Our city had just built NRG and MMP. Plus all the in built food and restaurant and hotel industry that our great city always has on point. The one sticking point was our severe lack of light rail or mass transit in 2000 and 2001. However the Europeans via the IOC board gave our City Hall a pass on this slight. Thinking that by 2012 our government would be able to solidify a mass transit system with the 2012 Summer Games as the carrot on the stick. Well, our City Hall got such a pass my friend. I was there when this went down in 2001.
    The sticking point for the IOC committee was one final straw. Does your local media and sports community support soccer! Which when our USSF arrived in our city to have U of H host the Fed U.S. Youth Soccer tournament that Summer of 2002 and Bob Allen from Ch. 13 didn't even bother to show up for any of the U-20 U.S.A. or Mexico matches, both male and female teams no less!. Nor did Ch. 11 or Ch. 2 or 26. I was there the day at Carl Lewis field when the IOC suits walked in...then immediately walked right out! I ran over to defend our city n the English representative flat out told me "Houston had the bid in hand, just as long as the city eventually built mass transit in a decade time. And of course your local media went all in for promoting association football."
    I had no answer when 50 Houstonians are in the stands for U.S.A. vs. Mexico. Certainly when our local media continue that odd sporting tradition as Americans where even if you are not all in for soccer, at least know to "respect" soccer. This infuriated the European visitors to our city.
    They literally scratched our city's name off the list and went back to the list of cities your posted above.

13. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Dude, you have to get past the USOC to even be considered against international competition. You aren't a candidate without backing from your country level Olympic committee and max one city can be nominated to the IOC. NYC was that city. This isn't top secret stuff. This happens out in the open. I remember the vote, there's a million articles on it.

Here is a Chron piece about NYC having been selected as the US nominee over San Fran back in 2002. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ch...2012-Olympics-and-what-could-have-3707698.php

Here is a BBC piece on London beating Paris, Madrid, New York and Moscow. h //web.archive.org/web/20070213094506/http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/front_page/4655555.stm

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  14. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, there is what is said in the media and then what is said in circles that are engaged at the business level.
    Anyone and everyone that is involved in the three major international competitions every four years wants to come to the most dominate economic and sports crazed nation on our planet.
    This is not up for debate.
    When the votes change, sure, they change. Such is politics and the money that drives FIFA and the IOC. However, I was there. Where the rubber meets the road.
    If you don't believe me that is on you.
    I am more than ok with someone not believing me. I will continue to hold to what was told to me by an IOC representative.
    However, you will now be in my book as equal to some AEG suit that while losing money in our very strong soccer market, continues to not listen to men and women like me thay have been promoting outdoor soccer in our city since the late 90's.

15. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cannot disagree more with the thought that Houston is a lock for hosting World Cup games. Houston will have to compete and compete hard. There are a ton of big beautiful NFL caliber stadiums ready to host World Cup soccer.

Dallas has a big stadium problem. Unlike NRG, Jerry World was not designed to hold a FIFA regulation field. ATT stadium is too tight. So to fit a FIFA regulation field in the stadium you have to take out a bunch of rows of seats -- only problem being that they don't come out. So then you have to fill the bottom of the stadium with dirt and raise the floor like 25 feet, reworking field access and all sorts of things. I'm thinking Jerry World could be awarded the international press center with folks watching games on the big screen.

So Dallas' problem is in Houston's favor but the competition is still fierce. And Dallas may find a solution to their problem. There are a ton of big beautiful NFL stadiums ready to host World Cup games.

Here is Stephen Goff's excellent write up on the matter. He has 18 cities as locks or contenders for the 16 slots. Also, FIFA could decide to award less than 16. Every stadium they take control of costs them some money though I share the assumption that this world cup will make a ton of money. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tenders/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.ccc4355338b9

USA Today reports that all cities eliminated will be in the USA -- that Canada and Mexico will get 3 cities each. Leaving 10 USA slots for 18 cities. USA today says Houston loses out, but they think Dallas will get it which I don't think is a lock at all referencing above.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/06/20...inalists-stadiums-venues-prediction-bid-final

16. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next time I'm at a Greater Houston Partnership event I'll ask George DeMontrond himself. Celt, this just doesn't seem like a credible story, Houston never actually won the USOC bid much less the IOC bid, it's a huge leap to take a chance encounter at Robertson with a blazer to actually hosting the Summer Olympics. Houston did host that US Olympic Festival a few times (I think in the 1980s which is why they have stuff like the velodrome in Katy).

No offense Celt but I don't recall a whole lot of soccer success here in the 1990s that would warrant an organization to take your advice wholesale without question. Hotshots, a few exhibition games, that's about it and none so successful they could maintain.

DynamoManiac repped this.
  17. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bolded for correct.
    This is exactly what I have been stating. Of course I have been specifically talking about the time from 2000 to 2001, I trust you understand this. And that 2002 article and the ones after that I will always still agree on.

If not, I will elaborate even more of that era of 2000 and 2001 when our city's elected officials and others that stood to gain from a winning bid, how our great city had the inside track and then fell outta the race by our own neglect for the beautiful game.
    The IOC recognized after Atlanta1996 with a Summer Olympics in the Southern U.S.A. can be a tremendous success, for many reasons both economic and travel and cost of living in the Southern U.S.A. over say New York or a Moscow. Houston was the ideal city in their minds with the USOC and IOC drawing a straight line between the success of Atlanta1996 and a return to the South of our nation for a Houston2012 Games.
    The IOC takes their time to do the due process given to all cities NOT in North America, narrowing down that list of cities that submit bids. I.e. Paris, Madrid and Moscow.
    Then there are the bids from cities in the U.S. and Canada. These cities are given their due process specifically by our own USOC and their peers in Canada on narrowing down any list to a few true finalists. Cutting the line of the others that their bid qualifications are just not up to par.
    What I have been very specific about is that Houston, while lacking in a major way compared to pretty much any other city in our nation, in mass transit, the IOC was very pleased with the success of Atlanta1996 and wanted to smoothly replicate this in Houston. This gave our Houston bid a head start on any other U.S. city with our USOC. With the "in good faith" promise from our Houston bid committee to the USOC and ICO officials in that our city would have 12 years to construct some sort of mass transit system to even look and run like a major international player at the table of international sporting events. Our city was in tremendous form.
    Houston had ticked all the boxes as the USOC and IOC were narrowing down their bids from the various regions of our planet. All Houston and our elected officials had to do was go long on mass transit in the next 12 years and show a tremendous passion for track n field, basketball and association football. Which since the U.S.A. had Carl Lewis as the lead rep for track n field, and the Rockets plans to build a new stadium, NRG being built in 2001 for first game in 2002, our form was now even stronger. Just have our media and soccer folks get behind the third of the big three money makers which is of course soccer, just make a solid showing. Once this did not happen with our USL team folding in October of 2001 we were STILL given a reprieve over New York in 2001 because of the economic blow and toll that the 9/11 attack took on the city and certainly the city's capacity to focus on a Summer Games bid while still digging human bodies outta the ground downtown Manhattan.
    Houston, with a second chance still did not get our own media out to the U.S. Youth Soccer Festival in 2002 and that was the death blow. Really frustrated the IOC suits. That continued theme of many sports figures in our nation of just not giving the most dominant sport on our planet the respect it rightly deserves. This odd attitude against just even respecting soccer really pisses off men from nations where the sport is not just played but part of the fabric of the people and their way of being.
    Peace.

18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #68 CeltTexan, Jul 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    I had McCoy Macklemore, old U of H basketball player, friends with Olajuwon, friends with Carl Lewis and all the Olympic suits at our USOC. He was the lead on the sports committee for our city's bid and he told me Houston was running on the inside lane to land the USOC bid. This in Spring of 2001.
    Take from this what you will.

I guess.
    I was talking about our United States Soccer Federation's annual Youth Soccer Festival. Which they move from city to city every Summer. Save the time in 2002 when they were so impressed with their experience in Houston, our local soccer officials, that volunteer their time I might add. What kind of event we delivered to the visiting teams from Mexico, Canada and all the 4 regions of the U.S.S.F. alignment. The USSF suits and ops people LOVED Houston! So they made sure to return for the nest Summer in 2003. Something they had never done over the years. Take from this what you will.
    Oh no doubt Westie. I was at Texas Tech in Lubbock in the 1990's. I did not graduate and return to Houston till Summer of 1998. just went to Houston Hurricanes FC home games in 1998 and 1999 as a casual fan and supporter. Where I met Joel and his buddy, with their drums. You might have read this from that other thread we had where Kryptonite chimed in on where mlshouston went to back in the day.
    What I did do in the 2000's was approach the owner of HHFC and he was so impressed with what I was willing to work to grown pro soccer here in our city he made me the Asst. GM to our city's USL club. That is how I got to work with the USSF and the Mexican federation as well. I went on to then coach two inner city varsity programs, sending immigrant boys on to college scholarships, one going to play in MLS. I was then approached by Jamey Rootes to work with the Texans FO on growing pro soccer here in our city. This in 2003 and 2004. My first suggestion was aligning with FC Barcelona, certainly hosting FC Barcelona and Club America at Reliant, my specific suggestion and of course a big success. My working with Oliver in the first season to grow our Dynamo right off the bat, my time helping out Rico with his Soccer in the Streets youth events for inner city kids and soccer, and so on my friend. I have worn many hats for soccer in Houston. I am amazed that our city has carved out such a credible notch on the belt of American soccer. It has been a fun ride to witness the process. With such a need for volunteers and grass roots growth for soccer to come to bloom in our nation, it is a tribute to the people that I have been able to meet and get to know as well. From all corners of our nation and aboad. If you have taken part in volunteering to grow soccer then y'all know who you are and what I speak of.

19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Was this FC Barcelona vs. Club America exhibition suggestion made before or after Al Gore invented the internet?

Here's what I take from all of this (as you always say 'take from this what you will") - you've been around Houston soccer enough to know things yet undermine any credibility you have by claiming that Houston had the 2012 Olympic bid all wrapped up but for a bad showing at the USSF soccer festival in an outdoor summer event at Robertson and by assuming things like doming BBVA would generate $100k in profit for over 150 events per year when almost no venue in Texas books that number of major events with that sort of profit potential annually.​

20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Westie, here is what I take from that shot at my word.
    You were remotely tolerable back when you would as well piss and moan about the homeless situation around BBVA Stadium. Many of us just thought you were a heartless sum-bitch that had never been poor a day in his life. Some just put you on the ignore list.
    Ponce and I would meet at games and laugh at the latest Westside Cosmo post. We just kept plugging along with you all the years.
    You lost all credibility when you began to piss and moan about Dynamo home attendance, and yet don't go to our home games.
    Take it easy.

21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just make sure you note I ran into Oliver Luck at the old Cabo restaurant Downtown in 2005 and told him that if an MLS team comes here he needed to make sure he signed this Scottish kid that played at Awty and got punched in a barroom brawl at Sunderland. Take from that what you will

22. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HAHA!!!
    Good one Westie.
    I actually DID meet Oliver in 2005. An AEG rep had called him and told him we should meet since AEG had just informed him that they were relocating San Jose to Houston. AEG had just signed their agreements with U of H and their Athletic Director Dave Maggard to rent The Rob.
    But the meeting was in his Houston Sports Authority office and not old Cabo restaurant Downtown. Again, HAHA. Needed a good chuckle after that Gold Cup loss and watch Berhalter replace Jozy with Zardes and Bradley constantly kicking the ball to the Mexicans.

23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I post facts (“announced” attendance) and pictures (empty seats speak for themselves). How is that a lack of credibility? I’m not claiming credit for soccer attendance things or claiming that Bill White told me that the stadium was going to be domed until Hurricane Ike hit or treating some other rumored nonsense as fact

24. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Westie amigo mio.
    The phone book is full of facts.
    And yet many of them are untrue.
    Again, take it easy.