Candidates

Discussion in 'NWSL Expansion' started by WiscFan, Mar 16, 2010.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    "10 by October" seems to now be dead:
    Good news is that magicJack sounds like it'll be back; so the only hold-out now seems to be BOS.

Article courtesy of GaDawg

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ...or not...? (emphasis mine)
    I'm just confused now. =-/

Article courtesy of Fanaddict

3. EvWill

EvWill Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Fort Washington, MD
    I don't believe six groups means six expansion cities. The Washington Post article referenced two or three separate groups seeking a franchise back in the Washington, D.C. area.

4. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    If the Red Stars return, plus two west coast teams in Orange County & Seattle would be very good for the league. Then add New York, Washington D.C & possibly Vancouver for 2013.

5. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My impression is that if WPS expands (returns) to the west coast, it will be with at least three teams (preferably four) all at the same time and is extremely unlikely to happen before 2013.

6. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Per reliable source: The Hartford group is an expansion group...not relocation. And Tony DiCicco has nothing to do with that group...

Should a Hartford team join [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDKSpEfPOTo"]Hartford Whalers? [/ame] and the Breakers return it would make for an awesome rivalry....and great road trips!

:D

7. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Boston Breakers, Boston Univ. Women's Soccer, Norwich City, Charleston Battery
    Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a tough situation for this guy.

8. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't think it will happen though, at least not next year. Having a cluster of teams in one region of the country looks really bad for the league. I'd think that WPS would have to expand beyond the East Coast before a bid for Connecticut would be seriously considered.

I'm trying to imagine what a CT WPS roster might look like though...Tiffany Weimer, Alyssa Naeher, Kia McNeill, Katie Schoepfer...and Kristine Lilly coming out of retirement :)

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well... I think that, until we get to the point where we don't have to wonder whether WPS will be back the next season, I'm sure they'll be happy to get whatever teams they can get, whatever the distribution. There's been so much talk of four to six west coast teams all potentially joining at once, once the group is ready, I think WPS wouldn't be too worried about having a six to eight team cluster in the NE.

10. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Hartford will happen in 2012...

And Anson if you drop the Breakers and Riptide to start up with the Nutmegers...it's war!

BTW, If Alyssa leaves the Breakers I want our trophy back!!:D

11. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Lilly would be either the coach or the GM. Or both. Or player-coach-GM.

12. e20mo

e20mo New Member

Apr 6, 2003

13. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're all part of Lilly's Army...

Too bad Boston, you're stuck with Tony :D

14. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if I have the time or money for two sets of season tickets...

As much as I love the Breakers, I would have no choice but to support a team in CT if there is one, with Breakers as my second team. Unless they choose some lame name like "Connecticut Power" or "Crush"...then i might stick with the Breakers :)

Soccer Plus CT Reds as a WPS team would be a dream come true...but if Tony is not involved that wouldn't work.

Still don't think it will happen.

15. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting a supporters club for the CT team would be too much to pass up I'm afraid...

16. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you're dead to me.

:p

17. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terry Foley on Twitter:

"accepted the position of Technical Director for the new Connecticut franchise, assuming they join WPS in 2012."

"Hoping there is an announcement by the end of this week."

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Gerry Marrone during #wpschat:

"I hear it is a done deal - Hartford here we come"

19. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy Crossley, former Breakers GM:

"Veterans Memorial has a nice natural playing surface and good parking. Otherwise, it is not suitable for a WPS team, by which I mean it is not suitable for anyone to make money there. When we took the game there on 8/21/10 there was no opportunity to get any share of parking or concessions money – that goes to the city. There are few opportunities for premium seats or striated seat pricing, no videoboard for simulcast and replay, a track surrounding the field, limited concessions offerings, limited power. Some of these things could be alleviated, perhaps, by good negotiating for a season-long lease, but at the end of the day it’s a W-League stadium. Hopefully they have somewhere else in mind. There is little point in a CT team – which detracts from the Breakers attendance base – unless it is first class and successful."

Completely agree with the last sentence.

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Article courtesy of Katreus
    The comments about next season, and his own ambitions for the Fury, I expected.
    :eek:

22. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be nice if the Connecticut group made an announcement BEFORE the Breakers early bird discount period for season tickets has passed.

23. AngusPodgorny

AngusPodgorny New Member

Sep 28, 2002
  24. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    based on the fact that magicJack is out, either Connecticut or New York [Fury] must be in. The league needs to remain at 6 teams for backing from US Soccer.

25. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, eight is the official minimum, so WPS has been running on a waiver for its entire existence. I'm not sure I see a whole lot of difference between five and six except that it would be nice to have a season that was more than four home-and-homes amongst five teams.