Candidates for the Final

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Refereeing' started by uuaww, Jun 27, 2010.

1. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kassai, Bussaca, De Bleeckere, Irmatov, and Archudia are my list for the Final and Semis.

Archudia is my guess though.

2. o5iiawah

o5iiawah Member

Oct 31, 2008
    After Howard webb and his crew put on a clinic during the Brazil game, how could you not include them?

3. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Bussaca was sent home....for no F'n Reason.

4. MrRC

MrRC Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Have you considered that there may have been an off-field issue?

5. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If there was FIFA would be stating it publicly and calling the referee a "doody-head"

6. MrRC

MrRC Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Perhaps, but perhaps not. It's possible that he got into a dispute with a FIFA administrator in the dressing room following the match or some other nonsense such as an unpleasant encounter with some South African supporters. Those type of things tend not to come out until much later.

7. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It's possible.

8. portiere

portiere Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Webb has done Brazil and Spain--not good odds for the final. But Webb may well get a semi-final.

Archundia is a good guess if Brazil go out. But Brazil right now look like finalists.
    Has the referee for the final had one of the two teams previously in recent WCs? Not to my memory. The Uruguay vs. Ghana center might be a hint at a favorite candidate for the final, though the best thing to do might be to sit...

9. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is his destiny. At this point, I'd like Webb to get the Final (what a cap for him and his ARs after a mediocre EPL season!), but I don't think it's in the cards.

Agree with this to a decent extent. Your theory on Uruguay-Ghana is why I think the Paraguay-Japan assignment was big (after all, one of these two teams could string two wins together). I think De Bleeckere's assignment was big because it was on the knockout round match least likely to produce a finalist. He's really only done Argentina, I think. Maybe today's match hurt him due to the elbowing incident, but I doubt it.

I think we're looking at Archundia unless Brazil makes it...

De Bleeckere unless Argentina makes it...

And _______ if it's Argentina v. Brazil (still trying to fill that blank... Undiano Mallenco works, but God help us all at that point)

10. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has had unfavorable incidents in the past when dealing with spectators. It wasn't that long ago that Busacca flipped off of some fans during a game in his home country.

11. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If that was an issue than he shouldn't even be there.

12. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I really abhor the Collina legend. Yes, he was good. And yes, he was given a major pass late in his career. His involvement with the Italian referee scandal was brushed under the rug, and he was involved in some shadiness with a sponsor toward the end too. And the worst part, he totally blew his final game ever. He called a "Mali" phantom foul on a perfectly good Everton goal which would have sent them to the group stages of the CL, setting Everton back a couple of years. Oh, did I fail to mention I support Everton? Sorry....Collina, not a god.

13. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    So, just because a referee has worked a team's match at some point in the tournament completely rules him out if they reach the final? That seems like a rather silly concept to me.

14. aphelorah

aphelorah Member

Jun 9, 2010
    USA
    Unless you have some information to suggest otherwise, Collina should not be associated with the referee scandal. When Luciano Moggi's phone was tapped, he was recorded as saying that both Collina and Rosetti were too objective and that they should be punished. With regards to the sponsorship, he signed a sponsorship deal with Opel, who was a sponsor of A.C. Milan. As a result, he was disbarred from Serie A games and he offered his resignation (which the Italian federation tried to reject). More an error in judgement than anything else, IMO.

Back on topic, I do think the signs point to De Bleeckere, especially since Busacca is out. Of the round of 16 matches, Japan vs Paraguay was the least likely to involve a finalist, and De Bleeckere was the referee. I still think Archundia is a strong candidate. Webb and Nishimura will likely have to wait until 2014 for their chance, and Irmatov has a shot in 2018.

15. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just pointing out that, if that were the case, it wouldn't be the first time. Even referees at the highest levels must get tired of being criticized all the time.

16. digme

digme New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    it's so sad that Rosetti got canned. In my opinion, he is the best ref i have seen this tourney so far. Unfortunately, he's got his linesman to blame for being canned. Such a shame really because i wanted it to be him to ref the final, but i doubt he would even get a nod to do international matches from now on. I have never seen a Ref that was very decisive, very even handed, very reasonable with his whistles and cards. (sorry auzzies, that was a legit red to Kewel no matter how much you slice it; you can't have a man protect the goal with his hand; if kewel trully was not aware of what he was doing, when the ball hit his hand, his hand would have flinched back from the power of the shot, but that was not the case)

17. chivamex10

chivamex10 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    your mom's house
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So does Archundia have a shot at the final?

18. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be surprised if he doesn't get it.

19. MrRC

MrRC Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Not after FIFA heard that there was some Mexican on an internet forum inquiring about it. Now there's no way that they'll give it to him. ;)

20. chivamex10

chivamex10 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    your mom's house
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Did they send chiquidracula home? Marco Rodriguez?

21. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. I think he might actually get a semi, but I'm not sure.

22. UK93JJG

UK93JJG New Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    I honestly wouldn't rule out Rodriguez for the final, FIFA seem to be all over this guy. But, all signs point towards Archundia for the final. If Holland are in the final, then obviously that throws the European refs into the hat, Webb and De Bleeckere probably at the front. De Bleeckere's problem may be the fact he officiates in the Dutch Eredivisie sometimes. The 1/4 Final refs can't be ruled out either, Elizondo took charge of a QF then the final, but I suppose only Irmatov has a real chance of the final out of those four, maybe Nishimura? However, all signs point towards an Archundia final, and I think De Bleeckere and Rodriguez for the semis, with Damon in the third place match.

23. portiere

portiere Member

Jan 11, 2007
    It seems things have broken badly for Webb--He's already done Spain, and Holland Uruguay seems to want a non-European (though who can really say what FIFA will do). Too bad, because Webb and his assistants have been really strong. Could Webb get a Germany Holland final instead of DeBleeckere?

24. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll know when we see the semi appointments.

25. Elizondo

Elizondo Member

Jul 6, 2009
    USA
    I posted this in the stats thread, but should have put it here. Sorry, mods.

Here goes:

I've taken Maniacal Clown's list and inserted country of registration and federation.

Why? Selection is as much a matter of politics as it is skill at this level. Unfortunately, it's relevant. We have four teams left, representing CONMEBOL (1) and UEFA (3). Betting lines suggest an all UEFA final.

Will Webb make it an all European affair? Or will Sepp's lackeys continue to toss bones to Mohammed Bin Hamman and give the final to the AFC? The odds are seriously against CONMEBOL and CONCACAF, imo.

A list of the referees with three or more games at this point:
    Baldassi, Hector (ARG) 4 CONMEBOL
    Larrionda, Jorge (URU) 4 CONMEBOL

Batres, Carlos (GUA) 3 CONCACAF

Benquerenca, Olegario (POR)3 UEFA
    De Bleeckere, Frank (BEL) 3 EUFA
    Kassai, Viktor (HUN) 3 UEFA
    Stark, Wolfgang (GER) 3 UEFA
    Undiano, Alberto (ESP) 3 UEFA
    Webb, Howard (ENG) 3 UEFA

Irmatov, Ravshan (UZB) 4 AFC
    Nishimura, Yuichi (JPN) 4 AFC