Candidates for 2027 WWC

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Lechus7, Oct 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Belgium, Germany and Netherlands stated joint bid for WWC 2027

2. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  3. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    :laugh:

Good move by those FA's as it should get a lot of local gov and EU backing, especially in post-covid era (let's hope so) where tourism and related economy took the biggest blow.

59Amerinorsk and soccernutter repped this.
  4. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    I'm not fan of bids with three countries, and certainly not when a big country like Germany is part of it.

A Belgium/Netherlands bid looks interesting and compact on paper. They have three +50k stadiums and a further three +30k and a bunch of +20k stadiums in addition to that.

JanBalk, Kamtedrejt and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  5. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Exclude Germany. Should be just Belgium/Netherlands.

JanBalk, Kamtedrejt and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  6. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The DFB president Fritz Keller says that it was the wish of the Netherlands to include Germany.

7. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Just don't see three nations hosting one tournament.

8. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah 3 countries getting in as host is a lot. And Germnay got it not a long time ago. I would think FIFA would not come back to Europe 8 years later as well.

9. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Do they finally award it to a CONMEBOL nation? Colombia? Chile? Brazil? They could go Europe in 2031, then USA again in 2035.

10. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    A South American country could be a great choice, but I hope there's a better debate than for 2023 (Uefa's blatant backroom deals/"development tournament", etc). Out of all the continents, it probably does have the most untapped potential.
    Would the 2014/2016 event hosting by Brazil make it less likely to get it than another nation?

The only problem with USA 2035 is that they might be too busy hosting the delayed 2026 men's World Cup.

11. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    There's a quick summary of the runners thus far, in the section "WWC 2027 Early Bidding Interest"

- "The Week in Women's Football: Bidding for World Cup; Champions League round-up", Tim Grainey - Tribal Football (4 Jan 2021)

Interested:

Belgian-Dutch-German bid
    Nordic nations
    Chile - hosted women's Copa América 2018 & earlier the U-20 Women's World Cup in 2008. Expressed interest in the 2027 tournament in 2019, and it was one of several proposed hosting bids by the association's new president, Pablo Milad, in 2020.

Rumours:

South Africa - COSAFA women's champions, and site of the men's World Cup 2010 - a strong possibility to be the first African host of the women's tournament, but is it too soon?
    Italy
    USA

ceezmad, 59Amerinorsk and Lechus7 repped this.
  12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, please: a tournament in my backyard would be nice! :p

feyenoordsoccerfan and 59Amerinorsk repped this.
  13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Interesting, this is the first time I've heard rumored interest of the USA hosting the 2027 WWC. If true, my guess is that someone is wanting to piggyback on the 2026 MWC, and I guess it would be the first time any nation has hosted the two signature events back-to-back. However, for that reason alone, I would guess FIFA wouldn't be keen on it - I'm sure they want to spread their brand out every cycle. Plus, C'CAF hosted pretty recently already anyway with 2015 WWC, though I guess 2027 would nonetheless be outside of the "two-cycle ineligibility period for confederations" used for the MWC... I mean, if they used a strict application of that rule to the WWC the only "eligible" confederations in 2027 would be C'CAF, C'BOL, and CAF (and it would nix both UEFA bids). A USA/Chile/S.Africa race would be quite interesting nonetheless, IMO.

14. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    If Chile can put together a solid bid, I can see them getting it. Though the join bids are intriguing. If the Nordic bid can be just three nations(Sweden, Norway & Finland), they might be the frontrunner.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  15. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    The 2027 edition should be in the Americas timezone due to the 2019 and 2023 editions being in the European and Asian timezones, hopefully Mexico or a South American country (preferably Brazil) puts in a bid. Hosting it in the US would be unfeasible and unfair due to the 2026 MWC and 2028 olympics

16. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    The Nordics have sent in their bid for Euro2025; Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark to hold it and the bid is supported by Iceland and Faroe Island.
    They are keeping updated for a possible WWC 2027 bid.

17. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    The stadiums in chile are too small and not modern enough. Only Mexico or Brazil would work in Latin America I think

toad455 repped this.
  18. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    Welcome, new member! :thumbsup:

blissett repped this.
  19. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lechus7 and toad455 repped this.
  20. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    I think 2011 to 2027 is too soon, would rather see the 2027 wwc outside of Europe

21. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    So is the joint bid of Germany-Belgium-Netherlands cancelled and Germany is going solo?

22. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
  23. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #23 Lohmann, Sep 10, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
    No, you think four stadiums will be enough for a WWC with 32 teams?o_O The chosen cities are all in North Rhine-Westphalia so they are close to the Dutch and Belgium border. Aachen, Gelsenkirchen and Mönchengladbach were the cities that didn`t made the final selection. The Dutch and Belgium cities are not known yet.

datschge, JanBalk and toad455 repped this.
  24. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Okay. That trio joint bid seems like the frontrunner. Don't think the Scandinavian bid needs to be trimmed down to 3 countries (Denmark, Norway and Sweden). Chile, Mexico and South Africa are all darkhorses.

25. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    I'd rule mexico out because their women's team is quite irrelevant right now, South Africa definitely looks like the second best option right now