Candidates for 2023 WWC

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by toad455, Mar 21, 2015.

1. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    But you can't drive from Perth to New Zealand so no extreme road trips. :laugh::devilish::p

But, to be honest, it would take Mel Gibson and the whole crew of "Road Warrior" for resupply to make such a drive in Australia anyway. But they "could" make the drive an Olympic event for the next time Australia hosts the Olympics. :D:confused:

2. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Perth will stay in as it has the best timezone for getting games into Europe, being only 6 hours ahead. They will probably base one group over there and play 5 of the 6 games and the group winners round of 16 game. It's also only a 4 hour or so flight to the east coast cities of Aus. Which is pretty much nothing compared to the flying times to get to Aus/NZ in the first place.

3. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    A 9PM Perth Kickoff translates to 3PM Central European time at that time of the year.

For North American Viewers a midday kickoff in New Zealand is 4PM west coast and 7PM east coast (both the day before). Midday Sydney Melbourne and Brisbane is 6PM and 9PM for those same locations. With a broad spread of time zones its possible to schedule matches to suit particular parts of the world better, but it will be impossible to give all nations a decent time frame.

4. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    ^ Ah, @almango, you may need to doublecheck those time differences - I think North America adds an hour for daylight saving.

And who knows, by 2023, the U.S. government might try to "get rid of clocks" or something

5. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Looking at the U-20 WWC 2016 in PNG FIFA gave OFC a full spot alongside the host with only 16 teams. For a 32 teams tournament, they might give them 1 rather than 0.5 ?

6. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    They might do a lot of things

I'd say 0.5 would be fine, PNG are a top 50 ranked team but they're not World Cup calibre.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  7. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yes you are right. For west coast its add 7 hours but its yesterday, and for the east coast add 10 hours.

8. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If UEFA are consequent they should support a full spot for OFC to help the developing of women`s football in the Pacific Islands.

blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  9. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I can say is I hope the awarding of the World Cup helps to squelch the conspiracy to leave New Zealand off world maps.

Mosan, Lohmann, blissett and 1 other person repped this.
  10. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    #310 sbahnhof, Jun 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    And the men's U20 WC in New Zealand gave the OFC 1 spot. But in those respective tournaments, the qualifiers were NZ women's u20s and Fiji men's u20s, who were both good enough to get 3 points in a World Cup. If you did it in 2023, you'd just be inviting a minnow who never plays outside Oceania. If they can earn it in a playoff v an Asian team, then OK, but they won't win. (I say all this while wishing they could, but the potential isn't there.)

Also, two confederations are hosting this, the hosts are taking 2 spots. So I think an AFC/OFC playoff is fairer for everyone.

blissett repped this.
  11. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I know this has, probably, been discussed to death somewhere but is this not the first time two countries frome two different FIFA confederations have co-hosted a tournament?

I know the two are neighbors but they, even more than the US and England, are two countries separated by a common language. Only once in my travels to that part of the world did I feel my life was in danger (from humans) and that was when I mistook a New Zealand accent for an Australian one. (I know it was not the people there that had an accent but rather it was I)

I guess it really does not matter but I kind of thought that Australia had rejected everything OFC after 2006.

12. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    It was mainly a move to help Australian soccer to grow, and it certainly has worked for the FFA - I don't blame them - though it hit the OFC quite badly. It'd be nice if there were more cooperation after this. New Zealand still plays v Australia quite often. More Oceania v AFC games generally would be good, but I dunno if it'll happen.

They say this is the first co-hosting by 2 confederations, yes.

13. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bravo!

14. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think it will really depend on how many extras FIFA wants to give to each confederations. One extra spot per confederation at least is fair imo.

Let's say that OFC team is ranked 32 among the teams, there is no guarantee that teams ranked 30,31 will fare much much better.

I am biased obviously but I would expect the extra UEFA teams to perform to a good standard.

15. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
  16. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Yeah it seem like a rant from a guy who lost his money betting the wrong horse...he made a few intersting points but mostly it looks like cherry picking to enforce own theories.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  17. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    He is not a fan of women's sports. Said similar things about the womens cricket world cup.

SiberianThunderT and Lechus7 repped this.
  18. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
  19. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hexa, JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA Women's World Cup
    @FIFAWWC
    17m
    IT'S OFFICIAL!
    The #FIFAWWC Australia New Zealand 2023™ host cities are:
    Adelaide
    Auckland/Tāmaki Makaurau
    Brisbane
    Dunedin / Ōtepoti
    Hamilton / Kirikiriroa
    Melbourne
    Perth
    Sydney
    Wellington / Te Whanganui-a-Tara
    See you in 2023

21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff Kassouf
    @JeffKassouf

34m
    The 2023 Women's World Cup venues have been revealed: 10 stadiums in nine host cities. Opening match in Auckland. Final in Sydney. Co-hosts Australia and New Zealand will EACH host one semifinal.

LouisianaViking07/09 and toad455 repped this.
  22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Interesting: I didn't know that every city in New Zealand necessarily had a name in local language, beyond the English one. It's the name the locations had before the colonization and before the towns where built, or it's names that have been given to the towns themselves afterwards?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for this...fascinating story and one in which I had no idea about:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/pou-tiaki/t...-restore-all-of-new-zealands-mori-place-names

blissett repped this.