Candidates for 2023 WWC

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by toad455, Mar 21, 2015.

1. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    It's fine to want to "develop" the sport worldwide--but you shouldn't hold your premier tournament in a 2nd-rate location to do it--and 2nd rate might be a generous way of describing the overall appeal of Colombia, which the FIFA assessment/technical committee concluded wasn't nearly comparable to Australia and New Zealand. In terms of attendance and venues, etc., there's no way it will be as good as France, IMO, even if Colombia were to give away tickets, which it probably would do. It would be better for we TV/streaming viewers--that much is true! As for the men, the Qatar decision was the icing on the cake as far as FIFA's rampant corruption is concerned.

2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You answered your concern by yourself. ;)

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Colombia's heavy lobbying seems to be working....

4. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    It will not be the end of the world, nor will it be necessary to cut our veins if Colombia wins (which I do not think). Excellent time zone, close to the USA and Europe, a footballing and charming country
    @L'orange you can check the attendances of the U20 World Cup 2011 in Colombia. ( ups sorry I almost forgot that in your opinion the U20 and U17 World Cups should be eliminated.)
    Better to suggest to the "2nd- rate locations" not to apply. Better that they do not even participate in the WCQ , it is a waste of money. Just send them 2-3 invitations.
    I suggest you visit these exotic places more, maybe this will change your mind

sbahnhof and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When is the vote?

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If you have trouble knowing who was who in the offiicial FIFA image, JeffK breaks it down by confed:

Someone in the comments mentioned that UEFA could have voted for COL looking ahead to the ENG 2030 MWC bidding, but that makes absolutely zero sense since the UK bid isn't official yet while joint (4xcountry!) UEFA and C'BOL bids are already officially on the table.

9. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Even the English member voting against the Commonwealth countries makes this theory plausible for me.

LouisianaViking07/09 and blissett repped this.
  10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    blissett repped this.
  11. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The vote, fortunately, when the way I believe is best for women's soccer. BUT I do not believe that the vote was inspired by people actually thinking through the issues but rather it came from the people involved just blindly following what other people have instructed them to do. FIFA is corrupt in the same way the US Congress and I believe many/most of the elected governing bodies are corrupt. Rather than thinking things through they vote the way they are told or they vote "the party line." In the US Congress if there is an idea presented by the Democrats then the Republicans vote against it unless they are told by their "leadership" to vote otherwise, The reverse is also true. The ability to reason on their own automatically ends as soon as they become politically aware and form into a group that behaves like a committee.

FIFA manifests all the worst parts of a political committee.

Some applicable quotes: (Many of which are only tangentially related to this thread.) (Remember that the words congress, committee, conference etc are pretty much interchangeable.)

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap." Napoleon
    "A conference is a gathering of important people who singly can do nothing, but together can decide that nothing can be done." Fred Allen
    Mitchell's Law of Committees: "Any simple problem can be made insoluble if enough meetings are held to discuss it."
    "Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain
    "When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I'm beginning to believe it." Clarence Darrow
    "The future ain't what it used to be." Yogi Berra
    "There's no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world, and we'll never have to change it again."
    And lastly these two:
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.” Phillip K Dick
    "Thanks to words, we have been able to rise above the brutes; and thanks to words, we have often sunk to the level of demons." Aldous Huxley

12. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It seems a MOU was signed between UEFA and CONMEBOL recently, hence the block voting.

blissett repped this.
  13. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Ha: IMO Japan would have been a great choice--good facilities/venues, country is very supportive of its women's program and big events, and like France, travel between venues would be very manageable. But NZ/Australia also has a ton going for it, obviously, and I'm glad they got the votes and will host. I don't have anything against Colombia--I have been to some South American countries, thanks (tho not Colombia)--but all things considered it's not the best choice among the contenders and so why would people vote for it? Fifa votes are notoriously sketchy, with a long record of corruption going way back AND going forward (Qatar--joke). It's the biggest tournament in the sport, and the best way to respect the players and fans is to award the tournament to the country(ies) that best meet the varied criteria for an excellent event.

As for U20 and U17 World Cups, I've mixed feelings about the U20 WC but definitely feel that an U17WC is silly--not at all worth the effort to qualify and organize it. I remember the U20 World Cup four years ago, held half across the globe in little Papua New Guinea. Strange choice, to say the least--there were no fans save for parents; not much for anyone to do--but apparently there doesn't tend to be a lot of interest in hosting the junior World Cups.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    An MOU to do what?

15. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Little Papua New Guinea is more than ten times bigger than the Netherlands.:)

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    32 teams. I hope Africa gets a few more slots

17. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    I see Perth is included in the Australian bid. They should reconsider that. The distance between Perth and host cities in New Zealand is well over 5300 km. Even the men's World Cup in USA '94 was a more compact tournament. Russia understood this and didn't include any cities on the Asian half of the country two years ago. Teams don't want to spend endless hours traveling during a hectic tournament. Perth's nearest host city neighbour is Adelaide, "only" 2100 km away.

blissett and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    From a Guardian article

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...and-win-race-to-host-womens-world-cup-in-2023

Uefa explained its decision to back Colombia by saying: “Even though the Colombian bid was not the one rated highest technically by Fifa, European members of the Fifa council felt it represented a strategic opportunity for the development of women’s football in South America thanks to the legacy and increase of attention for the women’s game that the tournament would bring to the continent.

“It was a choice between two countries – Australia and New Zealand – where women’s football is already strongly established, and a continent where it still has to be firmly implanted and has a huge development potential. It’s important to add that European members of the Fifa council agreed to vote together on major issues as a matter of solidarity.”

Seems like a good argument as to why Europe should never host a FIFA tournament to me.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  19. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    there was no mention if either country gets to host an U-20 or U-17 tournament as that has been the case since Germany was awarded the 2011 WWC(who also was awarded hosting the 2010 U-20 WWC).

blissett repped this.
  20. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  21. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
  22. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I would expect Australia to get the U-20 WWC in 2022. We saw this year how FIFA is struggling to find a suitable host, so it makes sense to give it to Australia.

blissett repped this.
  23. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Maybe New Zealand hosts the 2022 U-17 WWC? They hosted the first edition back in 2008.

24. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The distance between Vancouver and Moncton, Canada, both host cities for the 2015 WWC, is 5536 km.

blissett repped this.
  25. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Let's say:

Hosts: (2) Australia, New Zealand
    UEFA: (11) Germany, Sweden, Denmark, England, Italy, France, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Belgium, Switzerland
    AFC: (5.5) China, Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Thailand, Vietnam*
    CAF: (4) Nigeria, Cameroon, South Africa, Ivory Coast
    CONCACAF: (5.5) USA, Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Haiti*
    CONMEBOL: (3.5) Brazil, Colombia, Chile, Argentina*
    OFC: (0.5) Fiji*

SuperHyperVenom and blissett repped this.