Cancela interest from Rapids

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by rhiggz, Jun 26, 2005.

1. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    9-1-4.
    Most goals per game in the league.
    Fewest goals allowed per game in the league.

Sounds like he has his priorities straight to me.

2. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing this rumor, I'm not sure what incentive New England has to unload Pepe outside of the SI spot and salary. Your defense is solid and defense is about the only thing that the Rapids have to offer. Not that I wouldn't take Cancela in a heartbeat, I've been wanting to see him in the Black and Blue for a couple of years, but I have no idea why New England would part with him, even if he isn't playing the full 90 every game.

If this trade ever happens, and it's just a BigSoccer rumor right now, Colorado would emerge the clear winner, even if we gave up half of our roster to get him. And if you guys took Wolde off of our hands, I would have to become a Revs fan just in gratitude for accomodating his dead weight.

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Really, is it one?

4. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    I don't think it even constitutes rumor yet.

5. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've only seen it on BigSoccer, so I'm not sure it qualifies...

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually everything on BS is rumor.

Why else would it be BS? ;)

7. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Since we just waived Cassio, I wonder if this RUMOR got started as us trying to trade Cassio and Colorada wanting Cancela.....either way, I can't see us releasing Cancela right now unless we really have a big impact player coming in.

Isn't Clavijo of Uraguyan ancestry, the Cancela connection could have started there...but again, we now have 2 SI slots, allocation and cap room.

8. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor?

Original quote from Soccer America (see first post of threrad). I am trying to find it to see the context.

Unclear why Clavijo would mention Cancela in the press unless there was something more than a wish list. You don't need to mention names, and when ya do, it's usually for a purpose.

R

9. rhiggz

rhiggz Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Oregon
    I didn't realize I'd start so much buzz. It is in the most recent Soccer America. It says nothing about the Revs wanting to get rid of him, just that Clavijo likes him, wants players like him, and he's been relegated to the Revs bench. It also mentions they're going after Connor Casey, which seems like a sure thing. Just because the Rapids want him, doesn't mean he's gone. I don't think Nicol would want anyone from them, even to get rid of Cancela. With Dempsey, Ralston, and Noonan out with the national team, I don't think a move will be made, but that's an opinion, the rest was in the magazine. Don't need to start worrying yet.