Canales on MLS - The league is too secretive

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by jade1mls, Jan 22, 2008.

1. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
  2. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    This has added weight coming from someone I've considered a honk for the league in the past.

3. TheQuakesRockMySocks

Dec 20, 2007
    BlogVille, CA
    Well personally I think this is sort of the job of the journalists. If you look at the other leagues here in America, the journalists get in to the sport, and find all the scoop. That's how we find things out.

As Media catches up to MLS we will know so much more. The League shouldn't be the group revealing the comings and goings of players. That would make it very hard for them to negotiate with players in the future.

That's just my thoughts. But you don't see NBA teams revealing their negotiations before things are through. You hear about it on SportsCenter. Just give it some time, and there will be many more Goffs, and Ives.

4. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Grahame Jones / Sunil Gulati example shows that the taciturn nature of the soccer suits in this country is endemic--it's not just MLS. Problem is that the media in this country currently do not provide the kind of pressure that the media in other countries do when it comes to soccer.

5. TheQuakesRockMySocks

Dec 20, 2007
    BlogVille, CA
    Actually after reading the story, I see the point. MLS and US Soccer are pretty secretive towards media, and that will inhibit the writers stories. So, I can see this point.

6. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your first post still makes a good point, though. I think it's a two-way street: as the soccer media here become more established, the less room these guys will have to maintain "secrets."

7. taboga

taboga Member

Dec 17, 2005
    The way the league is growing is just like how the globalized economy is growing these days. You know its growing but you never realize how fast everything is growing until it hits you in the face when you realize that the MLS is taking away quality players from Europe just like newly modernized countries are taking away jobs form the American people. I am thinking this is good for MLS too be secretive which means that they always set expectations low and exceed them tremendously!

[everyone should surf the web!]

8. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    Not only that but, these are writers who are often fans of the sport or otherwise invested in it. If they are complaining then consider the average sports writer who couldn't care less one way or the other about soccer?

And we wonder why MLS and soccer in general doesn't get the kinda of coverage we feel it deserves.

All of this will inhibit the growth of the league.

So I say to Don Garber:

You can sign players.
    You can build stadiums.
    You can run competitions.

But if you can not help people make an emotional connection to the players and the team then you will constantly be battling to fill those stadiums.

I suspect much of this is a hold over from when MLS really was a minor league in the country aimed at kids.

The idea being, "we don't want the kids to know their favorite player *may* be leaving." and "We don't want to report anything that reflects negatively on our players."

Well we've grown up Don. We're adults now. We understand the transfer market. We understand sometimes players get into trouble.

We are your fans. We are adults. We can take it.

9. Soccerdude redded

Oct 14, 1999
    NY
    Jade, it sounds like you still trying to get a job at MLS HQ.

10. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What?...Apart from Beckham there are no European quality players in MLS.

11. TheQuakesRockMySocks

Dec 20, 2007
    BlogVille, CA
    What's that one guy's name? Oh yeah, Juan Pablo Angel... that's right. But you are right, there are zero quality players in MLS that came from Europe....

And before you try to correct me, I understand JPA isn't European, but he played in Europe prior. Here's the thing, we are now competing with Euro Clubs for players.

Andy Iro snubbed Europe and decided to take on MLS.
    Eddie Johnson waited a full year, deciding against Derby (I know, not exactly ManU) another Euro Club for KC Wizards...
    Before you jump on our case, there's a lot more momentum for MLS than ever before, and you see it's ripple effect across the world.

Thanks David Beckham!

12. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Angel hardly set anyone on fire in Europe, decent enough player though...

But right, so we can expect MLS teams to sign a national player in his early 20´s, that plays for some major country anytime soon..?
    Despite the fact that there will be an enourmous competition for a player like that?

No, and it wouldn´t make sense to sign players that are earning $5-$10m a year in Europe even if MLS could avoid having to pay a transfer fee (which would be HUGE) because that´s money down the drain.
    There is simply no way to get that kind of money back even if you got a player like say Luca Modric or Podolski.

Beckham was a brand in itself and enormously marketable in a way these youngsters ain´t.

13. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it really the league's fault that Brad Guzan doesn't want to leak info to Andrea Canales?

14. Hyuuga Neji

Hyuuga Neji Member

Nov 20, 2007
    The Bay Area
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andrea Canales is a bit of a joke.

15. BenficaFan15

BenficaFan15 New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I thought the league was actually pretty good in revealing information to us. I feel like whenever there is a rumor about something going to happen, it usually does. I don't really understand what other issues this guy has in his report. Some things just can't be revealed until its happened, such as a trial in England or whatever.

16. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    I've always wondered:

does the league conduct drug testing?

because they certainly don't reveal any bad results.

yes, the writer is correct, MLS guards some information and spins some other information a bit.

17. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If her mom would have taught her to cook, she'd be married off by now and not have to troll around MLS locker rooms.

18. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of comments:

1. Maybe Brad Guzan was honoring a condition of his negotiations. There are probably a number of reasons for the player in question not to blab about details at a particular time. This is true of other types of deals. For example, team officials would probably not reveal the most desired location for a stadium until substantially along in the acquisition process.

2. News may break first on the East Coast because the 'work' day starts 3 hours earlier. Sure, L.A. could find out some information at 2:30 AM PT, but how many West Coast viewers are up.

19. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

20. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

So now Bigsoccer = misogynism.

Got it.

21. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    your answer here:
    [youtube]s9WRZvLCalQ[/youtube]
    [youtube]-MTUI12bLZc[/youtube]

22. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's not misogynism if it's only directed at you.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That last one seemed directed at Andrea Canales.

24. PompeyChimes

PompeyChimes New Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Portsmouth
    here in England the press don't need access to players - they just make up whatever they want

25. Brutus112

Brutus112 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    New Albany, Oh
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the naked Chilean in the locker room gave the whole scoop to the male east coast writers already.... there was nothing Brad needed to add...