Canadians in MLS

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Kingston, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    MLS released the player breakdown by nationality (US, Canada, Other) for opening day rosters.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...s-and-canadian-born-players-start-2016-season

There are 24 Canadians in MLS right now representing 4.5% of the players in the league.

Any high level playing spots for Canadians is a good thing so, in that respect, this is good news. I'm a bit torn as to how to consider this number, however.

On one hand, this is an all time high in terms of both absolute numbers and percentage. An increasing number of Canadians are playing in MLS and that's a good thing.

On the other hand, Canadian teams make up 15% of the league and US teams 85%. If Canadians played in MLS as the same proportion as teams, we'd have about 80 players. US players make up 49.8% of players with 85% of the teams. In a similar ratio we'd have about 45 Canadian players in the league.

The three Canadian teams carry 22 Canadians, 24 Americans, and 35 other players (according to Wikipedia). So even at home Canadians are outnumbered but it's far better than the two Canadians playing in all the rest of the league.

Finally, Toronto and Vancouver each started two Canadians last week. Montreal started zero. So the benches are covered in maple leaves but not the field.

As I said, I can see both sides of the coin on these numbers.

2. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If the % American players is 49.8%, the relative to population ( currently about 9:1) parity for us would be about 5.5%

We're getting close, but as you eluded to above, we need to get guys on to the pitch.

EvanJ and FootySkeptic repped this.
  3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Leeds United are currently 1st in the English Championship. If they keep this up and add Larin, we'd have a striker in Premier League next year.

Hoping Cardiff City also promotes so Junior Hoilett goes back to Premier League