Canadian Soccer Association to bid for 2026 World Cup

Discussion in 'Canada' started by EPJr, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We'll have to wait for the next time it will be CONCACAF turn to see a Canada World Cup, circa 2042-2046 :whistling:

2. socceronly

socceronly New Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Nottawasaga facility was built for Germany for the 1986 World Cup.

We will absolutely be the staging area for many teams for 2026. We are going to get some good facilities out of that if we play our cards right.

3. SwedishBorn

SwedishBorn Red Card

Manchester United
    Sep 20, 2017
    Real capability dude.

4. SwedishBorn

SwedishBorn Red Card

Manchester United
    Sep 20, 2017
    Canada in World Cup have not happen in soccer history. Perhaps first time in 2026 rightly bodys and women ?

5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    1986... google it

SwedishBorn repped this.
  6. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  7. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So it's a done deal. I've got mixed feelings about this. It's great to be part of the WC for once, but at the same time 10 group stage games is pretty underwhelming.

8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The only hope we have is perhaps a "positive lobby via feedback to FIFA". I'm trying to convince the Voyageurs Forums big guy to organize something...

FIFA has last say of which games goes where and how many. 50-15-15 or 40-20-20 made more sense to me

9. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    To me it's less a matter of how many games we get vs which games we get. All group match games quite frankly amounts to table scraps.

10. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I don't know about that. I'd rather see Canada in a group stage game than two teams that aren't Canada in a playoff match.

11. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Who says we can't see both?

12. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I just want the automatic bid. According to Infantino, it's up to CONCACAF to decide.

13. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    FIFA now says it is up to them.
    With 48 teams in it I think they will allow all 3 automatic entry. Which is good because I doubt our ability to get there any other way even with the 2 big guns, Mexico & US, getting automatic entry. After 3+ decades of watching Canada's MNT, 2+ of us missing the HEX and the CSA's BS treatment of Zambrano to prevent changes that were sorely needed I really doubt our ability to qualify even from a weakened pool.

14. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    This is what I think should be a fair number of games for Mexico and Canada: 15 each.
    3 * 3 Group Stage Matches
    3 Round of 32 matches
    2 Round of 16 matches
    1 Quarter-Final match.

That leaves 50 games for the US, which is over 60% of the total matches. They shouldn't be greedy.

15. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I'm pretty sure the 60-10-10 boat has sailed.

16. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Even if we stay at 10, I think we and Mexico should get the semis, like a true co-host.

Of course, this could be the new way of things. This is the first go with the tournament up to 48 teams and 80 games. There are very few countries that could manage that on their own, so shared tournaments will likely become the new norm. So maybe we'll see this regularly where you have a main host with a couple of side-hosts just to pick up the slack instead of actual co-hosts.

17. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I'm more interested in seeing how those 10 games go in Canada. Does Toronto get four or five? What will Montreal and Edmonton get? And once the current B.C. provincial gov't gets replaced by the Liberals in three years' time (or less), does Vancouver get back into the mix with a big cash infusion?

I could see Mexico getting a semi at Azteca but the best match we'll get is maybe a QF in Toronto. I could see Canada's two group games being in Toronto.

18. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    From what I understand only cities that were part of the original bid can be considered after the bid is won.

19. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If people want to change the bid after winning it why wouldn't BC be an different though?

20. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    "Listen. It's in eight years. A lot of things can happen in eight years." - Montagliani

Doesn't sound like the door is shut at all. No one is privy to the fine print on these agreements.

21. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I listened to the same interview you did. That snippet is misleading because he also said, "No. Not going to happen and the reality is that it's not about Vancouver, it's about our country and our country is a little bit greater than any city."

The context of the part that you quoted was him basically saying "never say never but it's extremely unlikely."

22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #172 Robert Borden, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Hello guys,

Regarding the match allocation, stadiums and number of games per countries, Victor Montagliani went on record on Sportsnet to say that FIFA has last say on everything.

The 60-10-10 was part of the bid but technically, that was never the bid committee's place to decree that. They were to submit a big and a list of facilities/cities.

FIFA picks the 16 stadiums out of the short list, FIFA decides if they will go forward with the 60-10-10 or change the allocations. FIFA decides where the games are played including knockout rounds. Pretty much, Montagliani said that once the bid is awarded, FIFA takes over and decides everything.

60-10-10, no playoffs past round of 16 for Canada and Mexico is possible, but that's up to FIFA, not United 2026.

The main goal is to make money, but also, it's a United bid and I think FIFA will want their tournament to reflect that. People still think that 2026 is the United 2026 tournament... that's not how it works. As of June 13, 2018, this is officially FIFA's tournament and they can do whatever they want.

From that premises, I seriously doubt that Azteca and Olympic Stadium are shut out of semifinals and/or Quarter-finals.

Azteca is a symbolic stadium with tons of seats (87 000) to allow FIFA to make their money and project the United vision of the bid, same for Olympic Stadium which can seat over 71 000 fans by reconfiguration from 1976. No, I don't think BMO field gets past round 16 but those 2 above will in my opinion. Edmonton (if retained) & Monterrey are big enough to host a quarter final game each, at worse, Azteca and Olympic Stadium will have games here. Of course, the final game will be in the USA.

Regarding logistics, flights between Montreal-NYC are shorter than NY and other parts of the US... not sure that argument to explain why all playoffs games past R16 must be on US soil isn't a good reason, especially when there was a precedent (2002 World Cup) where a flight between Seoul and Tokyo is on average 2h30...yet everything was split right down the middle.

Just wanted to clarify that part and the FIFA taking over part came straight from FIFA's Vice-President.

So nothing is set in stone yet... We have 8 years to see how things play out.

23. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    This is FIFA, one of the largest organized crime syndicates in the world. Money talks. I'll agree that it is unlikely but if the correct palms get greased, things can surprisingly change.