Canadian Premier league

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikehurst21, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Twelve or thirteen of the clubs do now. Half a dozen have reserve (B) teams and also C teams.

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at with this question. I'll just say that L1O already has a reserve division. It has true reserve teams from the top tier clubs and also a number of teams (from academies and so on) that only have squads in the reserve division.

I was thinking mostly of just the mechanics of it and having teams and their fans get used to moving around. You're right - it will have zero impact on attendance or revenue.

Yoshou repped this.
  2. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I’ve lived in Atlantic Canada and the Prairies. I don’t think a D3 league will work in those places.

The driving distances on the Prairies is huge and the talent just isn’t there in Atlantic Canada.

Wanderers have an u23 team this year. That’s positive.

3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Soccer Quebec and BC Soccer owns those leagues.

It's a win-win deal really, provincial bodies launched and operates the leagues assuming the costs. Then they sells the leagues to CSB who take over the costs but provincial bodies remains the operators.

That was a huge motivator for BC Soccer to launch the league, they are counting on CSB to buy it off their hands, after collecting fees to join the league.

Quebec Soccer going the same route is an inevitability conditional to French staying on the forefront of the league's branding.

If you look at the BCL1 branding and marketing, it's almost the same as the way CPL does it...name, brands, video... same for Electric FC and new clubs joining L1O.

CSB and CPL are taking over the pyramid just in time to capitalize on it for 2026 and beyond.

4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The good news is that it truly integrate the top of the OPDL & L1O creating a more seamless pathway to that level from youth soccer.

We could expect York United, Forge and future Ontario CPL clubs to add reserve squads eventually in league 2.

I'd expect Atletico to compete in Quebec as they are much closer to Montreal than the rest of Southern Ontario.

Loving it

5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Universities at U Sport manages it, I don't see any evidence why they wouldn't be able to find a way for a potential D3... same for the prairies.

6. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Hey guys in Winnipeg, let’s drive 11 hours to Edmonton for our game this weekend! See how long that lasts.

An Atlantic league was attempted in the 2000s. It never lasts long. The teams in Halifax don’t want to drive anywhere, especially for what they perceive as a lower level of competition. Change the league name to D3 and it won’t matter.

University soccer is different for a number of reasons which can’t be recreated - I played University soccer for 2 schools, playing in the national championship game in one season. Mens level soccer is a grind to get guys to always turn up in the dog days of summer. Throw in lots more travel and it just isn’t happening there.

7. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    You raise a good point. I could see an Alberta league. Two or three teams in each of Edmonton and Calgary and one each in Red Deer and Lethbridge. Maybe Medicine Hat. You could add Saskatoon to that, I suppose, and the drive would be the same as the longest drive in L1O.

Regina is getting pretty far out though and Winnipeg is basically an island.

8. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Jeff Paulus did a recent interview where he said ideally it would be a 6 team league.

2 maybe 3 in Edmonton, 2 maybe 3 in Calgary and possibly Lethbridge along with Sask and Winnipeg.

Personally, I think 3 in Edmonton, 3 in Calgary and maybe one in Lethbridge would be the only way it would work.

I live in Winnipeg and have lived in Edmonton.

There’s a reason Ottawa didn’t stay in League1 Ontario, the travel. This applies to all the teams outside the GTA that end up dropping out after a year or two. The travel in a true Western Canadian league would be way higher than that.

9. Impactsupporter

Impactsupporter New Member

May 18, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    What are the alternatives to an Atlantic League?? Maybe the proposed HFX Wanderers U23 team could play in another location (PEI of Moncton NB) under a name like Atlantic SC and be a part of the PLSQ??

Just a thought

10. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    In my opinion, there is no alternative. The u23 plan by the Wanderers is solid. That’s as good as it’s going to get.

11. Impactsupporter

Impactsupporter New Member

May 18, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    So it would be better to funnel the best players from U-Sports, NSSL and NBPSL, NLSA, PEI into this Wanderers U-23??

12. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There was a Prairies project that got delayed - I don't see why Atlantic can't set something up at some point

U-Sport Atlantic Division
    upload_2022-1-26_15-26-11.png

13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The new commissioner will also be the Canadian Soccer Business CEO (for our American friends, it's the CPL's SUM)

Scott Mitchell, Dean Shillington, Ian Allison, Derek Martin, part of executive committee (That's Forge, Pacific, Halifax & Cavalry represented)

Former Sportsnet head of production Scott Moore has been tapped in to lead the search for its new commissioner. Moore will be aided with a search committee comprised of Mitchell, Josh Simpson, Fernando López & Wade Miller. (That's Ottawa & Valour represented)

14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well of course. Utilizing the assets of your biggest domestic soccer league to market your national federation only seems like common sense ;)

15. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a little surprised this wasn't already the case. Is there a reason why CPL's commissioner wasn't CSB's CEO?

16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    All time CPL goal scorer Easton Ongaro scores his 1st goal for his Romanian club UTA Arad

I don't know the reason...

17. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Vancouver expansion news

Interview with Rob Friend here, at the 129:52 mark:

https://aftn.ca/episode-500-the-aftn-soccer-show/

But the highlights people would want:

1) Location has been selected, stadium design is in place. just signing the paperwork with the municipality, announcement "hopefully" in the next 6 weeks. After that "6 to 8 weeks" to get the name and colours announced.

2) Did not reveal the location, but did let slip that "we probably won't be doing any marketing north of the river", so look for it in either Langley or Surrey. Not really a surprise there.

3) Once the paperwork is signed, Friend will be switching from Pacific to the new team. One employee already hired for it.

4) Still on track for 2023 launch.

18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  19. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Any US TV coverage this year?

20. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can always subscribe to OneSoccer and watch the games on the internet.

21. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was just checking to see if they had renewed their deal with FS1/FS2.

22. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    For those at the back of the room who couldn't hear, here's what was said during the York United FC alternate kit reveal on March 30/22 about the Woodbine facility, 2022 season, reasons why there's a new coach etc. http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports22/22york019.htm Also pics included.

I could see this team pres starting a York United Ladies team if there is an equivalent female CPL league (rather than joining a US one)

nfitz repped this.
  23. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    The 2022 season opened last night. York drop a 1-0 decision to visiting Halifax in front of 1802 fans.

This is the first season since the inaugural one where covid isn't calling the shots. As such, it will be interesting to see how the attendance goes for the year. This is no longer a brand new league so we should get some indication of the real support for each team.

24. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

GunnerJacket repped this.
  25. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member