Canadian Premier league

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikehurst21, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Thanks for the suggestion, I had put them all in the 2020 season thus far. I will next time

This post was just to document that Liga MX saw value in CPL in signing someone who played well. That's good for the potential recruitment of more Mexican who might start seeing CPL as a good destination to prove themselves

2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There will be a 2021 season!
    • Target start date is the long weekend of Victoria Day (Saturday May 22)
    • 28 games - Full Season
    • Mandatory Canadians U21 minutes will be raised from 1000 minutes to 1500 minutes while maintaining the requirement to sign at least 3 Canadian U21

4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Some rare insight on the inner working in the league which was confirmed by none other than Paul Beirne
    1356313122605301760 is not a valid tweet id

6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He used to work at SPORTLOGIQ.

A lot of soccer analysts are moving to, or even owning clubs. Brentford are playing well above their level by employing analytics. Billy Beane is a director at Barnsley while the owners of Football Radar are in charge at Notts County.

7. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Interesting.

Although presumably the teams can simply be up front about this:

York: "We can pay you $30 000 plus a $20 000 housing allowance."

Halifax: "We can pay you $40 000 plus a $10 000 housing allowance."

The player is going to have to pay what housing costs in their city regardless. It may even be a tax advantage to have the team cover it rather than have it come out of a larger income.

8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #3808 Robert Borden, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    The Canadian Premier League is expected to gain 2 direct entry to the new CCL format starting in 2023

Canadian clubs in MLS would be able to qualify via the League Cup according to ESPN https://www.espn.com/soccer/concaca...caf-champions-league-to-expand-format-in-2023

Canada - 3 berths

• 1 Berth via the Canadian Championship
    • 2 Berths via the Canadian Premier League
    This is a strong message from CONCACAF making a point that it gives more importance to domestic leagues than 3 clubs playing in another country. Many expected that more berths would go to the Canadian Championship so more Canadian MLS clubs coupd go to CCL but this doesn't seem likely anymore.

9. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *cough* CONCACAF has no control over how teams qualify for CCL other than to approve what the member Confederations submit. The decision to give 2 berths via the CPL is a CSA decision, not a CONCACAF decision.

10. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The CSA is 100% giving the remaining berths to CPL. The Canadian Championship will keep it's 1 berth

11. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes... But you said, and I quote, "This is a strong message from CONCACAF making a point that it gives more importance to domestic leagues than 3 clubs playing in another country." This statement is not correct because it is not CONCACAF assigning the spots to CPL, it is the CSA assigning the spots.

12. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    But CONCACAF already said that domestic Cup winners would get entry to CCL. It's very possible that the confederation won't allow domestic cup runner-ups to enter "its" competition.

That leaves 2 berths to award outside of the Canadian Championship and we both know D3 leagues aren't getting them

13. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't mean both have to come from CPL. If the CSA wanted to, they could use MLS standings to determine the new spot.

14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    To which CONCACAF can say "No". The CSA being a major stakeholder in CSB and the league have zero incentive to do that and ll the reasons to push their own league.

15. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However, since CSA hasn't actually made that proposal, nor are they likely to, your statement about CONCACAF favoring CPL over the three MLS team is inaccurate.

Personally, I'd prefer CONCACAF had a rule similar to UEFA's. If a team plays in the domestic league in another country, then the only way that team can qualify for continental competitions is through the competitions for the country whose league they play in, unless their home country doesn't have a domestic league. So, in this case, the Canadian MLS teams could only qualify for CCL via MLS and USOC.

16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Speculating that the CSA would chose 3 clubs playing in the US for which it has barely any say over it's own interests is wishful thinking.

The better CPL does, the more the value and revenues increases for CSB which increases for the CSA potential return on investment.

More clubs hosting MLS and Liga MX clubs and playing in CCL means
    • more games for CPL
    • increase in fanbase
    • More exposure
    • Increase in sales
    • More sponsors
    • More interest from investors
    Let go of the thought that the 3 MLS clubs are somewhat more special to the point that the CSA wouldn't care about their bottom line.

17. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You seem to be having an argument with yourself here. I am not, under any circumstances, saying that the CSA should or would chose the MLS clubs over the CPL clubs. In fact, I'm arguing for the CSA and CONCACAF to punish the Canadian MLS clubs by saying they can't qualify for CCL via Canadian competitions, including the Canadian Championship. If Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver teams want to play in a US league, they should be qualifying for CCL via US competitions.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Just pointing out, you bolded a statement about what *CONCACAF* does or doesn't dictate with a response about what the *CSA* would want to do. If you're going to emphasize a quote, I don't see why you would ignored the subject of said bolding...

I think the original "source of conflict" here is that you (and the Tweet you quoted) were attributing something to C'CAF that is entirely a CSA decision, and Yoshou was just attempting to correct that. What is "very possible" or what "can" happen as to how those two interact is mostly irrelevant - the best guess to make is one that's based on what we already know to be true. We know that C'CAF hands out spots, and otherwise gives total freedom to the various national orgs to determine how those spots are handed out within their own domains. We've never seen C'CAF nix a confederation's method of slot-determination before; when C'CAF has intervened, it's been to penalize the offending country for missing minimum stadium requirements, in which case the slot is given to an entirely different country.

So does it make sense that the CSA chose to not add more paths for MLS teams, and could continue to favor the CPL in further expansion? Absolutely! As pointed out, they have a stake in their league. That said - and to Yoshou's original point - there's no evidence to suggest that the current choice to do so is coming an on order/"encouragement" from C'CAF, as seems to be an implication of some of the arguments above. Also, the follow-up suggestion that C'CAF doesn't want cup runners-up participate goes against precedent, as MLS Cup runners-up used to have a berth. Of course, that was years ago, and a rule *could* have changed since then, but we don't have any direct evidence of that.

The good news for Canada's MLS team is that, as a side effect of the pandemic, USSF now has made precedent through the MLSisBack tourney that Canadian teams *can* qualify to the CCL through USSF berths. How much they're allowed to do so in the future is, of course, TBD. Until those teams participate in the USOC instead of the Canadian Championship, it's not going to be a fully similar situation to the top Welsh clubs playing in England's FA Cup...

It's just going to be messy until the CSA and Canadian MLS teams finally go through a clean divorce. And I think it's going to remain messy as such indefinitely, because I don't see the CSA wanting to throw away their shot at a CCL title, since I don't see the CPL ever truly catching up to MLS, or LMX for that matter...

19. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't know about punishing them, they entered MLS because they had no choice at the time. Their current situation is entirely in the USSF hands as they have the last say in what happens in their pyramids.

Tough spot for them to be caught in because they have showed pretty early on how much they value CCL. They haven't lost anything but it sure feels like a loss when everyone around you have gained something.

Worst out of this, it makes the expended Club World Cup that much out of grasp for them. All of this is assuming that the 3 clubs have some kind of solidarity instead of being individualistic where they'd just go harder at the Canadian Championship. That's most likely how TFC or Montreal would feel while you think that Vancouver was hoping for more berths out of the Voyageurs Cup.

CONCACAF had the discretionary power to do something for them but opted not too. That's a message being sent.

20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll add that having the Canadian MLS teams play in USOC just got a lot easier. USSF had a 5 foreign player limit on teams in USOC, which would have made it very difficult for Canadian teams to play in USOC since Canadians count as foreign players. However, USSF just recently announced that they are eliminating the foreign player limitation, so that's another barrier eliminated to having the Canadian MLS teams qualify only from US competitions.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3822 Yoshou, Feb 4, 2021
    As you like to point out, Canada now has a domestic league, so the argument of having the Canadian MLS qualify via Canadian competitions just got weaker.

As an example, the Wales teams that play in the English pyramid can't qualify via Wales for UCL because they have a professional domestic league. However, they can continue to play in the English pyramid because they started playing there before the Welsh domestic league existed.

However, the Lichtenstein teams that play in the Bundesliga can qualify for UCL via Lichtenstein competitions because Lichtenstein does not have a professional domestic league.

23. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    To be fair, everyone has been pretty consistent in their allocation of continental club competition. This would would mean that Confederation have "rules/standards" on who can enter their competition and how and associations can allocate those berths within those guidelines. I personally doubt that it's a "free for all" and countries can allocate them however they want due to the consistency we've seen so far.

The MLS Cup format somewhat exists elsewhere. It's really an "extension" of the regular season. I don't think the MLS Cup can be compare to domestic cups such as the USOC or Canadian Championship.

I don't think the CSA views it that way. Is it really the "CSA" winning the cup or more so the club or league (although it should be country)? I understand the pride for the CSA, but for an organization looking for pennies everywhere it can, their bottom line would matter more than that I would assume. Winning CCL benefits the club (Granted the prize money is low), not really the CSA.

The USSF has shown no interest in seeking further integration of the 3 clubs within the US pyramid after all those years.

The 3 MLS clubs are sanctioned by the CSA, by divorce you mean they would lose that sanction and lose their right to play out of Canada which would lead to a relocation. That vacuum in the 3 cities would be filled sooner rather than later.

24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    At that point they wouldn't truly be Canadian...meaning the CSA would have even less incentive to sanction them - no? You'd just be encouraging CONCACAF to fully enforce Article 73 and force them out of Canada altogether.

As BC Soccer said in it's documents as it's ready to launch it's own D3 league (see below) - FIFA isn't a fan of cross-border leagues unless there's a valid reason for them.

https://www.bcsoccer.net/files/Play...randing philosophy and longer term vision.pdf
    • Furthermore, BC Soccer is aware, based on discussion with Canada Soccer, that FIFA is trying to move its Confederations away from cross border competition which will inevitably may lead to a sanctioning issue.

25. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    #3825 nfitz, Feb 4, 2021
    It's not clear to me what happens to Concacaf League. I'd assumed it was dead, but by my math 8 of final 16 spots go to North America, 4 to Central America, and 1 to the Carribean.

So 3 to Concacaf League? Or did I miss something.

Edit - I did miss something. The final 3 spots go to a "further three North American clubs, who will qualify via a play-in round that will follow the group stage.

So instead of CPL playing Central American and Caribbean teams, they'll have to beat multiple top MLS and Mexican teams. Is that a step up or down?

This certainly looks positive for the Canadian MLS teams. But is it better for CPL than if they stuck with the old format, and got a second CPL spot?