Canadian Premier league

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikehurst21, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It will have took TFC 13 years to wake up to the fact that there's a market outside of downtown and Liberty Village.

This add "Forward 25" looks like a reaction to York9...they included the 9 cities of York region as part of their...whatever Forward 25 is...

It's funny

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is MLS’s 25th season.

3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I see...

Still feels lame as they got their geography wrong. Leaving out some of the boroughs, including cities that are really in the Hamilton area etc... They aren't liking York9 being this close and anticipates the arrival of Mississauga who will come back with a report for the construction of a new stadium.

It's funny

4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    After considering starting a club in CPL, Lyon opted to not go ahead with the Quebec City club.

5. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Here's to hoping Atletico Ottawa is a big success so that Lyon would reconsider. We *need* a team in Quebec ASAP.

6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Seems like the journalist misquote. They were talking about basketball (CEBL) not soccer. This mean that Lyon might still be in play for CPL Quebec

7. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Burlington is in Halton Region, along with Oakville and Milton - both of which are less impacted by Hamilton.

And with the frequent direct train from Burlington to BMO Field, it's not exactly a difficult trek.

Toronto is currently divided into 4 community councils. And got 4 mentions ... I suppose that Etobicoke could more correctly be Etobiocke-York and Toronto could be Toronto-East York ... but there would have been complaints about that too ...

Dozens of former towns/boroughs missing ... Mimico, Malvern, Leaside, East Toronto, West Toronto, etc ...

Though Concord and Thornhill are missing as well (not being any longer legal entities).[/QUOTE]

8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

10. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #3560 Robert Borden, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Atletico Ottawa is officially born
    IMG_20200211_131059.jpg

11. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Glad Ottawa has a team but I hate the path required to get here and really unhappy with the trend of clubs having satellite franchises around the globe. Taints the local nature of a team and bodes ill about further division between soccer's haves and have-nots. We'll see how this plays out for Canada and the CPL.

12. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I think this is the difference between an idealized world and the messier reality. None of what you say is wrong but there is definitely an upside for the CPL. They want a team in Ottawa and they want deep-pocketed owners behind the league. Even if every foreign player slot on the roster is filled with Spaniards, the league has rules in place that will ensure Canadian players on the roster and on the pitch. So it will benefit Canada and the CPL even if it also benefits Spain and Atletico.

Victor Smitty repped this.
  13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #3563 Robert Borden, Feb 21, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    2020 CPL Official Schedule

• Single Table
    • 28 games season
    • April 11 to the final day on October 4
    • Clubs play each other four times – twice at home, twice on the road
    • Travel time, distance reduced 10% year-over-year for CPL club
    • 90 per cent of matches on weekends or holidays
    • CPL clubs will play twice in the same match-week only a handful of times (7games overall are between Monday to Friday)
    • Best team overall goes straight to CPL Finals
    • Second and third place team advance to playoffs
    • CPL Champion qualifies for the CONCACAF League
      1230937766617219072 is not a valid tweet id
    *For those who pointed out the York9 & TFC conflicts

14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No split season?

15. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

From the article:

“The idea of more clubs staying in it ’til the death is an awesome opportunity to keep everyone hyped,” Clanachan offered. “Three teams out of eight for a playoff means we’re not at 50 per cent, which some might say is too much for our league, but the reality is there’s twice as many teams in the playoff this year. It ups the ante, and you’re never really out of it.”

2019 - two teams in the postseason
    2020 - three teams in the postseason

"twice as many"?

16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nope, 1 single season going forward.

I also think that the league will want to avoid being unbalanced. I'm thinking their either allow 2 expansions at a time or none

My predictions on that front up to 16 clubs
    • Quebec City, QC
    • Langley (Fraser Valley), BC
    • Saskatoon, SK
    • Kitchener-Waterloo, ON
    • Moncton, NB
    • Laval, QC
    • MIssissauga, ON
    • St.John's, NFLD

17. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Maybe he mean't

2019- 1 team (runner up) advancing to CPL Championship
    2020- 2 teams Advancing to playoffs

Don't know for sure

18. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, unbalanced is pretty easy to account for. Just include a bye for a team each game day. It may result in more midweek games, or a longer season schedule wise, but CPL should be able to incorporate that given their "short" season.

19. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely missed the addition of a playoff instead of just having a finals.. Hmmm... Interesting... I seem to recall them making a big thing about not having a playoffs?

20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    True but due to the size of the country, unbalance schedule was challenging in terms of travelling and resulted in more midweek games which hurt attendances. I think the league has no desires to deal with that again.

It also affected the quality of play, I could tell which teams were exhausted due to travelling and playing too many games.

Yes they were but teams pressured the league to expand it leading to this compromise.

I'm still of the opinion that once pro/rel arrives, they will only keep pro/rel playoffs

21. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Maybe. There wasn't necessarily any runner-up advancing last year. It could have been the 1st place team from each season if Hamilton had overtaken Calgary at the end.

And he says "Three teams out of eight for a playoff..."

They did everything they could to avoid using the word "playoff" last year but the league seems to have gotten over that.

22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The teams made the league change it but I wouldn't be surprised if they drop it once there's pro/rel playoffs. I actually find those pretty entertaining in Europe.

23. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily. An expansion of the length of the season would also allow for a team getting a bye every game day. 28 games is a relatively short season

There is no reason why they can't have both a playoffs for the top of the league and one for the bottom of the league. Having playoffs for the top of the league and pro/rel is not uncommon in world soccer and I'm sure the teams at the top will want to extra money from those extra games. ;)

Mervin JK repped this.
  24. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  25. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The intent was to go very traditional/close to the English system in the league's initial plans and I still think that it's their end game. If the league gets 16 clubs and get a CCL berth + extra CL spots, the top spots would see those teams (2-3) carry on at the continental level.

Bottom tier and top tier of D2 could have their own playoffs which I find the English system does very well. Once the Premier League's over, all eyes goes to Championship playoffs and that's a great way to eventually keep the D2 Championship as a prestigious can't miss competition.

With CPL acquiring D3 leagues and launching a D2 in the future, they will be in position to fulfill the CSA vision of a Memorial Cup for football. D2 could be regional leagues like the CHL with a West, Ontario & Quebec/Atlantic league leading to a "champion" tournament with the prize being promotion to Premier League.