Canadian Men's National Team - N&E

Discussion in 'Canada' started by EvanJ, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Canada does have an array of talent...this can possibly even be described as a "Golden Generation"

Robert Borden repped this.
  2. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Yeah well Gold Cup 2019 was as good a chance for Canada to at least win it all and with a team like this, I don't see how Canada is not winning Gold Cups or qualifying for FIFA World Cups successively in CONCACAF especially with this golden generation of talent...the most talented Canadian squad I've seen in recent memory and Canada can't seem to do anything with it. I mean all Canadians are playing abroad in Europe or playing in MLS or even in Canada in the CanPL. Developing all that talent and no follow through I mean come on.

3. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    The 2019 Gold Cup was a disappointment. I would not have picked Canada to win it - we still aren't at the level of the US or Mexico - but we should have done better.

As for the WCQ, this is the first attempt Canada has with this newly improved team. We'll see how it goes once the revised format is announced.

To summarize, Canada is improving rapidly and sustainably. We will only now start to see that show in results. Even with this improvement, we are not a top team in CONCACAF.

Ofori repped this.
  4. legendofzola

legendofzola Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Cape Breton
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Until we resolve our issues across the backline, we won't make the most of this group. What gives me hope though is that most of our attacking talent is really young. Kaye and Piette can hopefully handle central mid.

If Davies ultimately settles in at LB, that solves one problem. RB is the eternal black hole....we have a number of central defense options but none can be considered world class.

We hope Crepeau can provide competition to Borjan in goal.

Ofori repped this.
  5. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    That is true but come on the wealth of talent now in this Canadian team, in this squad with our players playing either domestically here in Canada in the CanPL or in MLS or even in Europe...like we are developing so really there should be no excuse when it comes to not qualifying for Qatar

6. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    At right back, we have ZBG as well as Laryea and also there are players in CanPL worth taking a look at too

7. legendofzola

legendofzola Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Cape Breton
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Laryea has shown some promise in MLS...he needs more match time at that position. ZBG has really struggled at the pro level. He needs to improve.

8. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    But for Canada, they have a capable enough squad to qualify not just for 2022 but looking at this Canadian team...when we host as co hosts in 2026, this team will no doubt have much more experience but they will be playing at home as a host. Which gives us home advantage if you think about it even though we would be one of the 3 hosts but still Canada with this squad, 2022 if they qualify then what would your squad look like?

I mean our 2022 squad would no doubt carry over into 2026 as well seeing as how our squad is young but it is a golden generation

2026 in Canada...our games being in Toronto at BMO Field, Montreal at Olympic Stadium and Edmonton at Commonwealth Stadium...you can bet Canada will play its group games in all 3 locations or they end up playing their group games in 1 location only.

9. legendofzola

legendofzola Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Cape Breton
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm hoping we pick one...I think BMO but open to ideas on that.

Ofori repped this.
  10. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    In 2026 apparently from the match schedule being in Group A in the A1 slot with the proposed match schedule we are supposed to play at BMO in the opening game

legendofzola repped this.
  11. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Okay but even so Canada has the talent now which is what I keep saying. Canada now has a golden generation of talent with players playing in CanPL, MLS and in Europe. We are pouring money into our development almost each and every day but still for some reason it isn't translating into us being a CONCACAF superpower when we should be. Canada now has its own league, the Canadian Premier League (CanPL). I am sure the CPL will help the Canadian Men's National team especially now that we are co hosting the 2026 FIFA World Cup. The 2026 FIFA World Cup by it being co hosted here in Canada, it will no doubt have an effect on the game here in Canada.

But back to 2022, if Canada wants to qualify for Qatar 2022, then what matters is getting results not just at home but also getting results on the road in qualifying. Last I checked, Canada's away record is not that great but it is at least getting better. If you are qualifying for the World Cup you have to win not just at home but you have to get results on the road period.

Canada for them to qualify, that means beating teams like the US, Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras, Mexico, etc. on the road

12. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Yes, we do now (although still not enough to regularly challenge Mexico or the US). But now. So looking backward at past results from a few years ago or more isn't going to show anything.

Ofori repped this.
  13. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Definitely but Herdman if anything has at least another chance at the 2021 Gold Cup

14. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    He does. Canada's improvement is not a "golden generation" but a dramatic and general shift in how soccer is done in this country. We are not peaking for a year or two but rather making a reproducible and permanent step up in our soccer abilities.

It is very early on in this process. In the scope of CONCACAF we were previously playing erratically against minnows, questionably against mid-ranked teams, and poorly against highly ranked teams. We are now winning reliably against minnows. I'd like to say we're playing well against mid-ranked teams and occasionally surprising the top teams but covid has stopped the games that would be proving this. Our only data point that hints at this right now is our win over the US (offset by the more expected loss that followed). I suspect, however, that we will soon be fighting it out with the likes of Costa Rica and Jamaica for claim on third spot in the confederation. That will certainly be the next thing to look for as a mark of progress.

Ofori and legendofzola repped this.
  15. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    This Gold Cup campaign coming up in 2021 and also Nations League 2020-21 will be telling when it comes to Canada and whether or not they are for real when it comes to 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifying

16. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    But as far as Canada goes, for 2022 anything less than qualification for Qatar either directly or even through the playoffs is basically a failure especially with the array of talent Canada has at its disposal with Herdman as manager.

But then 2026 as hosts however, as co hosts Canada has at least home advantage being one of the 3 hosts. However, Canada being a host I just hope they don't pull a South Africa and Canada as hosts don't even get through the group stage into the knockout stage. Bare minimum Canada in 2026 should advance to Round of 32 or even Round of 16 especially with it being 48 teams.

17. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    ^ I expect we will qualify for 2022.

By 2026, there will be six CONCACAF slots. From then on, even in subsequent tournaments where we don't qualify as host, we should always qualify. Our goal then should be seeing how well we can do in the WC.

Ofori repped this.
  18. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Canada at best should be 3rd or even 4th in CONCACAF Hex especially if they continue with the Hex but if they don't and they do home and away playoff legs to determine who goes to Qatar, then Canada in said scenario could face Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica, Haiti, Jamaica or Trinidad and Tobago in the playoff...then in that case Canada has as much of a chance to qualify as those other nations

2026 being a tri-host being one of the 3 hosts Canada being a seeded team could end up in a group of death or even end up in a difficult group seeing as how it is a 48 team tournament and it is 3 teams in each group

Unless they somehow ensure Canada gets an easy group draw in 2026 which could happen if they do the Group Draw

Like I said bare minimum is Round of 32 for Canada in 2026

19. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    But 2021, next year starting from Gold Cup, if we do not at least win it all or even get to the semi final, then he will most likely be sacked before Qatar 2022 even starts. So basically the pressure on Herdman basically starts right now going into 2020-21 Nations League, into Gold Cup qualifying/Qatar 2022 CONCACAF qualifying.

If Herdman doesn't qualify for Qatar 2022, he is for sure going to be fired. No way around that. Because the CSA are basically going to put expectations on him starting from next year into 2022 not only for the Gold Cup/Nations League but also for qualifying this team for Qatar, especially with the all-around overall talent we have, which we are not lacking in talent.

20. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    But honestly though, I have been excited ever since it was announced that Canada would be one of the 3 hosts along with Mexico and USA. Plus, if FIFA gives us automatic qualification and we do not have to take part in qualification since we are co hosting, then that's even better for us going forward. Well because it gives us a lot of preparation time for the 2026 FIFA World Cup by playing a lot of international friendly matches as well as playing in Gold Cups between now and then.

Plus then there are still other things to settle for the 2026 FIFA World Cup since Canada, USA and Mexico are all hosting such as:

1- Which of the 3 countries will host the 2026 FIFA World Cup Group Draw in December 2025?

2- Which one of the 3 countries will host the 2026 FIFA World Cup Opening Ceremony because there is always a concert of some sort? Unless they plan on having 3 opening ceremonies in the same day on opening day?

21. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    How has Herdman been so far as Canada Coach ? I really started following Canada once Octavio Zambrano became their coach and I thought he was doing a real good job I still dont get why he got sacked the way he did. This happens to Ecuadorian Coaches alot they just never seem to have good luck as coaches. I liked Benito Floro run too dont know why he got let go either.

Anyways I really like Canada Talent pool. What do you guys think of my WCQ squad?

https://sofifa.com/squad/626210

Ofori repped this.
  22. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I think Herdman for the most part has been okay and your Canadian squad looks good

javer repped this.
  23. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    The fact that Ferdi can play for not 1 not 2 but 3 countries is definitely something, because he could choose Netherlands since he was not only born there but his mother is Dutch too. However, his mother is also Canadian-born and his father is Turkish. However, in all likelihood, he could choose Netherlands because he probably feels the most connected to that country having grown up in that country and having played there. He is probably holding out hope for a Netherlands senior national team call up. However, he could also go to Turkey's national team and do a nationality switch if the Netherlands reject him which could very well happen.

But then of course there is Canada who of course are outsiders when it comes to cap tying him. Canada is not exactly a footballing power in CONCACAF and they have not been to a FIFA World Cup since 1986. Ferdi obviously wants to play in a World Cup and he probably feels that with Netherlands, he has the best chance to do that. But if they reject him, then with Turkey he at least has a chance to play at a World Cup or qualifying for one. Turkey's last appearance at a FIFA World Cup was 2002 in Korea/Japan so not that bad of a drought.

With Canada, would he have a chance at playing at a FIFA World Cup? Yeah he would but not until 2026 though, because let's face it Canada probably won't qualify for Qatar 2022. But let's say they do qualify for Qatar, he definitely would be in consideration for a Canada call up.

24. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Does he still hold Canadian Citizenship ? He may have to give up a nationality and reapply for his Canadian Citizenship. Also Teal Bunbury and Ricardo Ferreira are still eligible to play for Canada they should go into capping them ASAP and cap Cristián Gutiérrez before Chile does.

Ofori repped this.
  25. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Also Ayo Akinola and Dominik Yankov before US and Bulgaria take them.

Ofori repped this.