Canadian Men's National Team - N&E

Discussion in 'Canada' started by EvanJ, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  2. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    A 1-0 win away against Cuba.

This game highlights the new Canada reality in that we won away and it was legitimately a bad result. Let's enjoy that marker of progress for a moment before looking at the situation.

On the plus side, we got the win. That's three necessary points in the Nations League so that it all comes down to us versus the US (assuming no massive upset by Cuba against the Yanks). It's also a bunch of FIFA points and some of our competitors for the 6th place slot in CONCACAF aren't doing as well. Finally, we looked dominant even when down a man.

On the down side, we didn't run up the score despite almost 80% possession. That's bad and makes it hard to see us beating the US on goal differential if we can split our games with them. Also, Henry will be missing against the US because of his red. To get it for dissent is particularly stupid. We're thin enough at the back without that sort of nonsense.

3. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    1-0 is disappointing. I was hoping for at least 3. Can we beat the US? I think so but we need to get a win and a draw. If we get anything else it will come down to can the US beat Cuba worse than we did? Not a comfortable position.

4. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sept 7, 2019 All audio of the post game press conference and hallway interviews after the Canada vs Cuba game in Toronto on Saturday.

head coach John Herdman, Junior Hoilett, Jonathan David, Doneil Henry, Mark-Anthony Kaye, Milan Borjan, and Reggie Laryea.
    the Cuban head coach too!

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19cana04.htm

My stuff is NOT behind a pay wall.

5. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    oops. Meant Richie Laryea. Reggie is a younger brother who I watch at Sigma FC in League 1 Ontario.

6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're in a pack of four teams according to http://www.football-rankings.info/2019/09/fifa-ranking-september-2019-final.html

1. Mexico: 1,603.37
    2. USA: 1,544.86
    3. Costa Rica: 1,442.12
    4. Jamaica: 1,434.97
    5. Honduras: 1,358.62
    6. El Salvador: 1,326.83
    7. Canada: 1,321.74
    8. Curacao: 1,320.01
    9. Panama: 1,316.37

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.football-rankings.info/2019/09/concacaf-nations-league-2020.html gives you a 39.97 percent chance at winning the group. That's an accomplishment. Before World Cup 2018 Qualifying, I think every ranking formula and fan would have given USA way over a 60 percent chance at doing better than Canada. It gives you a 33.97 percent chance at reaching the Hexagonal. On another note, as long as USA doesn't lose hosting Cuba, that game will make you clinch finishing above Cuba and make you the first team to qualify for Gold Cup 2021. No other team can qualify on Matchday 3.

8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  9. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Turbo boost was sweet on that second goal and the finish was a "confident" bury it with anger type shot. Great to see him continuing his great form.

10. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
  11. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I don't know how much we "lost" him since he moved to the UK at the age of one and did all his soccer there. More like we didn't manage to steal away a player from England. It would have been nice, though.

tm13 repped this.
  12. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Game day. This is our biggest game in some time. Here's hoping for our first win against the Yanks in a while with a big crowd to witness the event.

13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You won 2-0 with goals by Davies in the 63rd minute and Cavallini in the 90+1st minute. Both goals were from near the goal shortly after USA had the ball. You had 8 shots, with 4 on goal. USA had 3 shots, which were all on goal. The goals get attention, but considering what USA did before them, I praise your defense more than your offense. I remember rooting for you to come back in a qualifier at Honduras. You were down 2-1, and Honduras dominated possession at the end, with you not creating chances. Tonight you didn't let USA create chances to come back. Sometimes teams shoot out of desperation and miss, and USA didn't get that far.

El Salvador won today and hosts Montserrat and Dominican Republic next month, so El Salvador could be hard to catch. They have 9 points, Dominican Republic has 7, Montserrat has 5, and St. Lucia has 1. Dominican Republic win the group if they win at St. Lucia and El Salvador. If El Salvador finishes second, they could get points from Gold Cup 2021 qualifying in March and June. If you get a win or draw at USA, you win the group. If you lose by 1, you win the group of USA beats Cuba by 1. If you lose by any score and USA doesn't beat Cuba, you win the group. If Curacao wins hosting Costa Rica, Curacao wins Group D, and a Final Championship game between you and Curacao could be big. Honduras clinched Group C. Mexico leads Panama 1-0, and it would be shocking if Mexico doesn't win Group B.

14. barnabyjonez

barnabyjonez Member

May 28, 2011
    The Valley, Saba
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Canada should move up 17 points in the FIFA ranking after this win passing Curacao and El Salvador. A draw against the US in Orlando will give 5 points, based on my understanding. A few competitive but winnable friendlies should seal the deal.

If El Salvador can advance playing the Caribbean minnows. it shows how truly awful FIFA is.

slaminsams repped this.
  15. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Well done today boys!! Super proud of you. Finally got the monkey off our backs! This should move us into 5th in the concacaaf FIFA rankings, giving us a strong chance to make the HEX

GO CANADA!

tm13 and barnabyjonez repped this.
  16. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    This is more on CONCACAF and most ironically a fellow Canadian Montagliani that has made it harder then it needed to be to qualify for the hex for Canada. Qualifying should be done on the field not by rankings.

17. barnabyjonez

barnabyjonez Member

May 28, 2011
    The Valley, Saba
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Dead on. If El Salvador gets to the Hex beating up on Caribbean minnows it shows how truly corrupt and useless CONCACAF is. In the past year, they lost to Dominican Republic, Bermuda and needed a 94th minute goal to avoid a draw with Montserrat.

tm13 and slaminsams repped this.
  18. Ciro Di Marzio

Ciro Di Marzio Member+

SSC Napoli
    Canada
    Jun 28, 2019
    Scampia
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Huge W for the boys. All teams (except Mexico) should fear us.

What's scary is that this group will only get better as the best players haven't hit their prime yet.

tm13 and mpr2477 repped this.
  19. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    An excellent result and a lot of fun as a fan!

First we had to improve to the point where we are regularly beating the minnows. Now this was the showing against a top level CONCACAF team that we have been looking for. The next step will be turning it into the sort of regular occurrence which results in us qualifying for the World Cup.

mpr2477 repped this.
  20. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to calculations done by ThreeApples at https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/he...g-the-rankings-r.2106189/page-2#post-38235292 you gained 18 points. You're 28 points behind fifth place Honduras. Using the rankings now, El Salvador will gain 10 (to the nearest whole number) if they beat Dominican Republic and Montserrat. If they do that and you gain 5 points, you will be 1 point behind them. We'll know more after rankings are released on Thursday October 24, but I think it's safe to say that it will be close in the November rankings if you draw at USA and El Salvador wins twice. In that case, you would go to the Nations League Final Championship, and I don't know if you and/or El Salvador will play friendlies in March.

21. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  22. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Given that we now know how the qualifying works, I would hope the CSA is lining up friendlies to gain points.

Of course, all we really need to do is beat the US again in Orlando. :)

Ciro Di Marzio repped this.
  23. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked at what teams could be available for friendlies in March. AFC and CONMEBOL teams play two WCQs. CAF teams play one WCQ. UEFA has the Euro 2020 Qualifying Playoffs, but most teams could be available.

24. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    What impressed me the most was that even with our top scoring forward (David) not finishing like his usual clinical self and squandering 2 great chances (hey it happens to everyone at some point) we still put 2 in the net against a tough team. Color me impressed!

25. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.fifa.com/news/the-week-in-numbers-x4413 says:

"34 and-a-half years had passed since Canada beat USA until John Herdman’s men produced a stunning upset on Tuesday. The Stars and Stripes went into their Concacaf Nations League clash having won ten and drawn eight of their last 18 games against the Canucks, while they had leaked only one goal in their last 12 meetings, but goals from Alphonso Davies and Lucas Cavallini secured a 2-0 win."