Canadian Men's National Team - N&E

Discussion in 'Canada' started by EvanJ, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Nice "secret video" of the match. Hopefully CSIS doesn't pull it down and suppress it. :)

So, does this match count as an official friendly for FIFA ranking points purposes?

2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    My understanding is that it doesnt

3. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Sweet. Thanks. Great passing, crosses, give and go plus a pair of royal volleys. Love it.

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada remained 8th in Concacaf and 78th in the world in the June 2019 FIFA Rankings.

5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A deep run will hopefully change that

6. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Showtime!!!!! Let's do it!

7. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Pretty excited to watch Jonathan David and Alphonso Davies together.

8. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    A good result. Kept a clean sheet, dominated possession, good passing and found a way to break down their bunker. That said it was pretty much what was expected but at least we are performing.

I agree with Frysk but it's not just those 2. The whole squad is awesome and for the first time in a decade+ I have a good feeling about our future prospects.

A big shout out to Tesho, Cyle, Scott, Jr, Alphonso, JD, Osorio, Kaye and all the others for representing us. You have truly turned the tide. Thank you very much.

Frysk Bloed repped this.
  9. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah and just to be clear I wasn't intending to say that the rest of the team were bad or anything, but it's clear right now as talents Jonathan David and Alphonso Davies are head and shoulders above the rest on the team. Some really, really glowing reviews from people on the ground in Belgium about David and I think at this point Davies' talent is plainly obvious.

10. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Yea JD & AD are the best of the under 20 group for sure (or just plain "the best" if you want). Osorio & Kaye are really excellent as well but they've had half a decade more practice. Awesome to see all those players working together like they did.

11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Cyle Larin has been loaned by Besiktas to Zulte Waregeme in the Juliper League (Belgian top tier) with the option to buy

12. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Good to hear about Cyle. He needed to move to where he could start or at least play regularly.

Great GC game today. Clean sheet + 7 goals.

13. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    The next goal by either Cavallini or David will put them on the top ten all time scoring list for the NT tied with Thomasz Radzinski and Paul Peschisolido at ten.

legendofzola repped this.
  14. legendofzola

legendofzola Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Cape Breton
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A testament to how goal starved we have been over the years.

15. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I was very surprised Godinho started over ZBG.

Obviously, Herdman thought he was smarter than the rest of us with his lineup choice.

tm13 repped this.
  17. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    He takes 6 forwards and 3 CBs for the Gold Cup? One is 19, one is 21 and one is just coming off injury. FSCKing brilliant. And this is who the CSA chose without even interviewing MDS? Sucks to be us. The CSA didn't want the reforms that Zambrano wanted. No they wanted someone who wouldn't try to change things, someone who would just "go along with things the way they are".

If we miss WC 2022 fire Herdman but no he's a "team player". Yea a team of mediocre bureaucrats happy with the status quo. FSCK me!

18. legendofzola

legendofzola Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Cape Breton
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A punch to the gut.....going to take some time for this one to heal.

19. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

20. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Who gives a completely unqualified coach a contract for 8 years? 2 WC cycles? The CSA, that's who. I rest my case. I am on the verge of giving up. This is such utter BS that takes me back to the pre-reform mess we thought we had cleaned up. Nope. Same old CSA, same old BS, same old results.

Bring back the "SACK THE CSA" t-shirts for the fall games! Maybe a chant of "Herdman out" or "Hire a real coach" will get their attention but I doubt it.

21. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't think Herdman should've been hired but I also don't think hiring someone based on their past resume is any guarantee of success. Floro managed Real Madrid. His results were arguably worse than Hart's and Hart had no pro experience when got the job.

22. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Even smarter was taking off his CF for an afterthought LB and then leaving his other CF on the bench even though he had one sub left. He choked under pressure, like some of the players. I thought that Navy SEAL beach training was supposed to solve that?

tm13 repped this.
  23. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada remained 8th in Concacaf and 78th overall in the FIFA Rankings. They lost 2 points.

24. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we can all agree that based on this evidence that the CPL has failed at its mission. ;)

Jokes, I make them, poorly. Haha. But there seemed to be progress in the early matches of the Gold Cup and the League of Nations games. Hopefully the last game in the GC was just a blip in a long road of improvement.

25. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Liam Millar has been loaned today to Kilmarnock from Liverpool

Benfica are interested in Jonathan David