Canadian Government Caught Funding Anti-Christian Bigotry - And Won't Apologize

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by MiamiAce, Nov 1, 2005.

1. MiamiAce

MiamiAce New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Miami, USA
    Here's the Link

Haven't posted in this silly forum in a while. Guess I'm wondering if I'll get the same type of characters with this story.

Oh, and check out the response of Canada Minister Liza Frulla. It's actually very comical.

2. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    the government granted $27,400 last year to the BC Pro-Choice Action network (pro-CAN).

$27,400? Wow. What is that, $1.50 American?

In his

NATURALLY.

letter to the Minister, MP Vellacott notes:

Pro-CAN spokesperson Joyce Arthur uses derogatory labels to describe individuals who are pro-life, saying their opposition to abortion, "comes primarily from religious justifications for oppressing women" and a need to "maximize (the Catholic Church's) membership levels to maintain their worldly influence and wealth." Pro-CAN accuses pro-life Christians of being "religious fanatics" who do "little or nothing for children once they are born." She says pro-life Christians are "anti-woman and anti-child," have views which are "uninformed, sexist, cruel," and lack the ability to empathize which "breeds intolerance, hate crimes, and war." Ms. Arthur says that the pro-lifer's attitude towards women is like "the slaveholder's attitude to blacks, and the Nazi's attitude to Jews."

...and?

3. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Good for them, how can I contribute?

4. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Ms. Arthur says that the pro-lifer's attitude towards women is like "the slaveholder's attitude to blacks, and the Nazi's attitude to Jews."
    ---------
    Apparently, I'm now a nazi. What about women pro-lifers?

5. Dan Loney

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I'm sure there are pro-hamburger cows out there somewhere, too.

6. acolombi

acolombi Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Edmonton
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The Canadian govt. gives lots of money to lots of groups; if you dig a little I am sure that they also gave money to groups on the other side of the issue. This is really not a story and should be treated as such. BTW the source is interesting and shows an obvious bias, in the interest of being fair is there a non-biased source that is reporting on this? I doubt it since this is not really a newsworthy story.

7. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    As a nazi, I have too much respect for women to call them cows.

8. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    So there's only one pro-lifer, one slaveholder and one Nazi in Canada?

9. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    They're all the same person, silly.

10. Dan Loney

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I wasn't calling pro-life women cows. I was calling them stupid, self-hating, brainless pawns of patriarchy servicing insecure and poorly-endowed men in the name of a false god. So stop trying to make it sound like I was being offensive.

11. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Life Site?

lol

12. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not surprising from the Liberals. They often see religion as a threat.

13. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    And this, MiamiAce, should be the end of it. The whole is pretty silly, you're right.

14. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    "every man and woman shall repaire in the morning to the divine service, and Sermons preached upon the Sabbath day, and in the afternoon to divine service, and Catechism, upon paine ... for the third [fault] to suffer death." - Articles, Lawes and Orders, Divine, Politique, and Martiall for the Colony of Virginea, 1611.

"That whatsoever person or persons within this Province and the Islands thereunto belonging shall from henceforth blaspheme God, that is Curse him, or deny our Saviour Jesus Christ to bee the sonne of God, or shall deny the holy Trinity the ffather sonne and holy Ghost, or the Godhead of any of the said Three persons of the Trinity or the Unity of the Godhead, or shall use or utter any reproachfull Speeches, words or language concerning the said Holy Trinity, or any of the said three persons thereof, shall be punished with death." - An Act Concerning Religion, Maryland, 1649

"Whereas ... Quakers, whose damnable haerisies, abonimable idolatrys, are hereby promoted, embraced and practised to the scandall of religion, hazard of souls, and provocation of divine jealousy ahainst this people, ... every person found at a Quaker meeting shall be apprehended, ex officio, by the constable, and by warrant from a magistrate or commissioner shall be committed to the house of correction, and there to have the discipline of the house applied to them." - Massachusetts General Court ruling, 1675

"That noe person which professe faith in God by Jesus Christ shall at any time be any wayes molested punished disquieted or called in Question for any Difference of opinion or Matter of Religious Concernment" - The Charter of Liberties and Privileges, New York, 1683

"There shall be a liberty of Conscience allowed in the Worshipp of God to all Christians (Except Papists)." - Second Massachusetts Charter, 1691

"that no person or persons, inhabiting in this Province or Terrirtories, who shall Confess and acknowledge one Almighty God, the Creator, Upholder and Ruler of the World, ... shall be in any Case molested or prejudiced in his or her person ... and that all persons who also profess to believe in JESUS CHRIST the SAVIOUR of the World, shall be capable ... to serve thie Governmnt." - The Pennsylvania Charter of Liberties, 1701

Gee, I wonder why.

15. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    When you say "caught", you imply that they were a) doing something they shouldn't have been and b) trying to hide it. From the article, neither appears to be a supportable assertion. Additionally, it is only the statements of the complaining MP himself which substantiate the idea that the group which receives funding engages in anti-Christian bigotry.

And that's before we even get to the SFW aspect of anti-Christian sentiment.

16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Has anyone else had a look at their 'About us' link at the top?

Point 3 of their Lifesite principles states,

'LifeSite's writers and founders have come to understand that respect for life and family are endangered by an international conflict. That conflict is between radically opposed views of the worth and dignity of every human life and of family life and community. It has been caused by secularists attempting to eliminate Christian morality and natural law principles which are seen as the primary obstacles to implementing their new world order.'

So the biggest danger to life isn't war, arms manufacturers, aggressive corporations who think nothing of advocating invasion of other countries so they can make money from oil and reconstruction, (not to mention selling MORE arms),... but...

wait for it....

SECULARISTS!

Yeah, they're the REAL danger, eh? :D :D :D

Love it...

17. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Well, if you consider "love thy nieghbor" a Christian principle, the above would seem to support that statement.

18. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    I covet my neighbor's ass.

19. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    You're a butt pirate?

20. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well at least we now know how ITN has been keeping himself busy since he was booted off Bigsoccer.

21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, I thought that was pretty much the point, wasn't it? To seperate church and state.

As to 'chistian principles'... well, they're a bit like mum's apple pie and the American way of life. I'm a Brit and even I can agree with them in a broad sense.

22. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Actually, it was more "We want freedom from persecution for our religious beliefs! Oh, and um, the freedom to persecute others for their religious beliefs!"

The Colonies were clearly founded amidst religious zealotry, and produced some rather horrid laws respecting forced worship. However, by the time the States and Country were founded, the single-minded zealotry had been replaced a great deal by the importance of economics, diversity of conscience and the importance of liberty. Ergo, after the removal of most religious trappings of government, and laws dealing specifically with religion itself, the new country was left with the common laws regarding other aspects of society, which traced themselves back to pre-Christian times.

So yes, I still stand by the proposition that this Country was not founded on Christian principals.

23. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    Sneaky, but effective. Which of the above quotes is a US federal document?

24. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    ....and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.

Yay, religion.

25. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    You folks should stop ridiculing MiamiAce and just admit how difficult it is being a white Christian male these days.