Canadian Football League

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Khansingh, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    I don't know if the mods will approve this, but I thought it would be cool to have a CFL thread in the Canada forum. Even though it has virtually nothing to do with soccer, I wanted to have a place where especially Canadians could discuss Canada's greatest sporting treasure as its season heats up after Labour Day. And the Canada forum seems like the place to find Canadians. The Alouettes have nine wins in the first eleven games for the second year in a row. Last year, they lost their last ten games. In the West, Edmonton is the surprise team with the surprise quarterback. But suddenly British Columbia is alive and well. So discuss away and, moderators, please don't close this thread. In fact, can we get a sticky?

2. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    In the east Montreal rules. In the west, a rash of injuries to quarterbacks and O-linemen has hobbled the best team temporarily. But come November, the Grey Cup will be going back to Riderville!

3. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

4. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The Green and Gold are kings of the CFL.

End of discussion.

5. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    July 19: Saskatchewan 45 Edmonton 11

Sure that was in Regina and if we want to advance to the Grey Cup we will need to go through Edmonton. Fine. 1989. 1997. Been there done that.

The defence added three NFL castoffs to a unit that completely shut down Avery and Ricky Ray in Regina. Edmonton is a very good team, but just because you can flog a dead horse doesn't make you that good. In any event there are definitely arguments for and against all of the playoff contenders. There are no arguments for Toronto, Ottawa or Calgary I'm afraid.

That's just my two bits. I think it's remarkably presumptious to say there is no discussion when you don't even have the best record in the league.

cheers,
    hobbes

6. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It was Mass you were facing, not Ray.

We know how you choked in '97.

7. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    But we played a week longer than the Green and Gold so I'll live with the shame :).

Your right, it was Jay "No" Mass. And our quarterback had a working hamstring. Ray does look like a keeper though.

8. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: Re: Canadian Football League

The rest of the CFL should stand up and take notice of the Green n' Gold. Especially since we dismantled the Stamps.

9. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    Right, right Doyle, we got a roughing the passer penalty after someone tripped over his ears. How could I forget that.

Okay, fair enough we haven't beat Ray. I think he's a dynamite QB. Are you the undisputed best in the league? Not even close. No one is.

Unless you're working on a "we just thumped the Grey Cup champs twice" theory which is totally illogical.

Choked in 97? We lost the championship game to a better team. You were overwhelming favourites against a 10-8 (I think, if I'm wrong I'm sure it will be pointed out to me) team at home the week before playing the Grey Cup on their home turf? That's choking my good man.

Besides everyone knows that the 97 final turned after Trooper arrived. Once they hit the stage everything went downhill.

cheers,
    hobbes

10. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Just as a side note for those of you who get Fox Sports World.....they are starting to show a live game every Saturday afternoon.

..... for the rest of you...there simply is no better then the... SASKATCHEWAN ROUGHRIDERS #1

... although i am a bit of a closet Stamps fan.

11. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Such a shame since the stamps got ripped apart by Ricky "Frito" Ray and the Green and Gold.

The Green riders are going to be black and blue when the Esks get through with them.

12. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    No offense Mr. Khansingh

But if I have to wade through posts by DoyleG, at least reduce the number by moving this thread to 'Other Sports'.

13. Tick

Tick Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    As an American, I have no idea what's going on in the CFL at any time, but I have some curiosity about the players, since some of them are former US college stars.

So, who's up there?

Starting QB, RB, and top WR for each team. Sound off!

14. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    For the Esks:

QB Ricky Ray (Sacremento St.)
    RB John Avery (Mississippi)
    WR Edward Hervey (So. Cal)

15. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Chris Schultz was taliking about this problem. There hasn't been a Canadian QB to make a significant impact in the league in fifteen years. Canadian Universities don't really offer athletic scholarships, not that higher education is very expensive in Canada, so any HS player who really stands out would probably go to a US school. Since there are 400+ schools in Division 1 alone, and less than 100(?) football schools in the CIS, you're going to find that the American quarterbacks outnumber their Canadian counterparts by a significant margin. But who knows? Maybe there's some freshman at SMU who's going to change the face of the CFL.

16. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK

The bigger problem is that football training is not as good in Canada. High School Coaches are often volunteers and even at university, really only the head coach would be as qualified as their American counteparts. A Canadian coming out of the CIAU would need a couple of years of grooming before he was ready to even have a good shot at making th eteam. Why would any team bother when there is a plethora of American quarterbacks with a higher level of training and experience? There was a guy in Regina named Darryl Leason who had all of the tools - arm, decent speed, big play ability, and a world of success and never got much of a look by the CFL.

17. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What about Brent Schnider (sp) who led the Huskies in the mid 90's ?

18. Tick

Tick Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    Okay, I remember Avery. He might even have gotten some time in the NFL (maybe Miami?). I don't remember Hervey or Ray, but I haven't seen many west coast games in a while.

Do any of you read Tuesday Morning Quarterback on ESPN? He's half Canadian (or something) and makes jokes about "frostbacks" invading the NFL. When a Canadian player makes a big play, TMQ makes jokes about how Canada is taking over the NFL. Pretty amusing, and a good way to figure out the Canadian NFL players.

Do Canadian colleges ever play against American colleges? I remember seeing U of Alaska-Anchorage's hockey team play a couple of Canadian teams in the 80s, but can't remember ever hearing about international games in any other sport.

19. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

I've heard the remarks about the Canadian invasion before. People think we turned Moon, Flutie, and Garcia into Canadian agents.

Thier has been competitons between universities of both countries. Canadian teams compete against Americans in volleyball on a regular basis. American basketball teams have competed in Canadian torunaments as well.

20. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    He was a good College QB, but not really quick or mobile enough to play CFL.

21. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK

Pretty much in every sport except football. Simon Fraser BC used to be a member of the, oh what was it N.I.A.I (?) or something like...not the NCAA but another. They would play football against NCAA Div one powers like Montana etc. Volleyball and hockey are quite prominent as the top ranked Canadian teams and the top ranked American teams are roughly equivalent. I know the U of Saskatchewan has develped rivalries with UCLA, Pepperdine and UC - Santa Barbara in Volley ball.

22. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    Saskatchewan Roughriders

QB Nealon Greene - Clemson
    RB Corey Holmes - Mississippi Valley State
    WR Quincy Jackson - Alabama (arguable as there are 3 roughly equivalent Wideouts in Saskatchewan).

23. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Alouettes:

QB: Calvillo - ?
    RB: Phillips - Nebraska
    WR: Woodcock?

I haven't really followed them...

24. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    I’ll try to do the rest of the league:

BC: QB: Damon Allen (Cal St. Fullerton)
    WR: Geroy Simon (Maryland)
    Alfred Jackson (SDSU)
    RB: Sean Millington (Simon Fraser in Vancouver).

Calgary: QB: Marcus Crandell (East Carolina)
    WR: Travis Moore (Ball St.)
    RB: Kelvin Anderson (SE Missouri St.)

Sask: QB: Nealon Green (Clemson)
    WR: Derrick Armstrong (Arkansas-Monticello)
    RB: Sedric Shaw (Iowa)
    Corey Holmes (Mississippi Valley St.)

Winnipeg: QB: Khari Jones (Cal Davis)
    RB: Charles Roberts (Sacremento St.)
    WR: Arland Bruce III (Minnesota)
    Milt Stegall (Miami, OH)

Hamilton: QB: Danny McManus (Florida St.)
    WR: Darren Flutie (Boston College)
    RB: Archie Amerson (Northern Arizona)
    Troy Davis (Iowa State)

Toronto: QB: Michael Bishop (Kansas State)
    WR: Darrell Mitchell (Texas Tech)
    RB: Juan Johnson (Utah)

Ottawa: QB: Chuck Clements (Houston)
    QB: Dan Crowley (Towson St.)
    WR: Jimmy Oliver (TCU)
    Andre Kirwan (Stanford)
    RB: Darren Davis (Iowa St.)

Montreal: QB: Anthony Calvillo (Utah St.)
    WR: Pat Woodcock (Syracuse)
    Ben Cahoon (BYU)
    RB: Lawrence Phillips (Nebraska)
    Mike Pringle (Cal St. Fullerton)

regarding Canadian QBs, there have been a few decent ones in recent years — they've just not played in Canada. Jesse Palmer and Mark Rypien both partially debunked the myth that we can't produce QBs. I think one of the main reasons why we don't have as many QBs as we should is pure geography.

First players don't start as young as they do in the US and when they do start they have a really wide field to deal with, which makes throwing outs very difficult for younger kids. Factor in colder weather earlier and the importance on the running game increases.

The thing about Schneider and Leason is that by time they reached their peak as college QBs, there were already old. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Schneider played a few years of junior before joining the Huskies. Leason had a full junior career, then went to U of C, then transfered back to Regina and was what 28 last year?

I guess I should back up and explain. In Canada we have junior football. You have four years of eligibility starting with the year you should have graduated from high school. It's generally second tier to University football, but many players play a year or two then make the jump. I guess it's a little like JuCo.

Once you get to University ball, you still have five years of eligibility no matter how old you are. So you get guys like Leason who played eight years of post-secondary ball.

The other thing to consider about Leason is that he needed time to develop and blossom as a QB since he's from Hudson Bay and they play 9-man.

That being said I think that football is becomming a year round sport in this country and with the huge surge in popularity in Quebec, the domestic talent will get better which certainly can't hurt the CFL.

cheers,
    hobbes

25. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The CJFL deosn't have the impact it would seem to have. The Ontario confrence has only 5 teams, 1 which is in Quebec. Edmonton has 2 of the 7 PFC squads. Most of the BCFC squads are within Vancouver.

And for those in Sasaktchwan. YOU LOST!!!