Canadian College Soccer

Discussion in 'Canada' started by halfnelson31, Nov 27, 2004.

1. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    Hey yall. ive been thinking of where i wanna g2 college and was thinking that McGill U in Montreal would be a nice place to go. My question is...How is the college soccer system up there? Is it competitive? r there a lot of games played? Does the CIS compare with NCAA? How about exposure to pro scouts(i know thats way down the a thin road but dosent hurt to know)? Would i get exposure to say...the local A-League team the Impact? What about the climate of the season? Snow? anything helpful would be appricated(sp)

2. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You'd have to try out for the team.

Calibre isn't great and not many players graduate to the pros (unlike NCAA) mainly because there isn't many full scholarships available. The Impact hold an open tryout every year and you can show up if you want.

Typical season is late August to Halloween. Pretty much no scouting.

3. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The caliber isn't that great. I saw the 2002 National CIS final and wasn't too impressed.

St Lawrence (then D3 national champion) defeated Queen's 2-0 a few years back.

I would say that the level is somewhere between D3 and D2. I haven't played CIS soccer, but I have played NCAA D3.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think if this is indicative of your spelling and grammar acumen that you're going to have a tough time even getting into McGill, which is widely regarded as the "Harvard of Canada." ;)