Canadian Anit-Domestic Violence Ads

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by 352klr, Dec 7, 2004.

1. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    Unfortunately in the US, we are not able to have ads such as these that raise the awareness of domestic violence. Instead, we have a group that is responsible for 99.8% of all complaints filed with the FCC. I'd love for these ads to air to see what would happen.

NSFW and make sure your sound is on so you can hear the public service announcement.

http://www.homefrontcalgary.com/announcements/index.htm

2. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Well, you'll notice that they're not being aired in Canada either.

3. cnoc

cnoc New Member

Dec 19, 1999
    up the airy mountain
    that was disturbing

4. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should be disturbed.

those ads should be on television in the states.

5. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way. That f-bomb would never fly on TV in the states.

6. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do a good job of undercutting the perception that domestic violence is a product of the abuser losing control. The fact is that these kinds of incidents almost never happen in public, because the guy knows exactly what will happen if it does.

7. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    Wow. Talk about great ads :eek: Straight on the message, sharply emotional, without being over the top.

8. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The thing is that I've seen better PSA's that get the message across.

No offence to those who put their efforts into these PSA's.

9. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    I don't know. Those were pretty effective.

10. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    Well, I do some work in the courts system and domestic violence courts are one of the things that I deal with. A lot of abusers actually do have control problems. Anti social too, but more than half can actually be brought to control their abuse with couseling and court monitoring. There is a significant number that are simply pathological. They probably belong in an institution somewhere.

11. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Those CFL TV ads were violent, too. Anyone remember them from a couple of years ago? :D

Actually, there are similar ads on local (USA) radio. It has a guy in a boardroom talking about something and adds that he also beats his kids. The ad goes on to say that abuse is not always that clear and that people should report even possible abuse.

That is strong. I have seen people acused of abuse and never really get a way to clear their name. I also think the ads may cause the victims to be even more scared.

12. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    Yeah, that's a big problem. Some people have problems that courts even try to rehabilitate people they consider to be almost subhuman... but even if they were, what if she wants to go back to him?

Plus you gotta actually make her press charges in the first place, which ain't easy. I think it all starts with public discourse, beyond simple general condemnation.

13. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understood, but I was referring to the fact that the vast majority of abusers do their abusing in places where it won't be detected, rather than in restaurants or boardrooms. Thus, while abuse might be keyed by anger, the anger itself and especially this particular expression of it are constrained by certain contexts. In other words, they choose to lose their control in situations where it's safe for them to do so. Speaking of control, in most cases the abuse is about maintaining a control over the woman. That's why the worst violence, including murder of course, tends to occur when the woman is trying to leave the relationship.

14. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    Indeed. It is a thorny problem.

15. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    [​IMG]

Not to make fun, but men sometimes get the abuse, too.

16. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone that takes a beating from her is no man. Period.

17. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True enough. I said "he" because the number of men who get abused (especially by women) is so small as to be statistically insignificant. And I'm never going to forgive you for exposing me to that picture this early in the morning.

18. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know -they were bit over the top,and the violence comes from a context outside of the relationship.

I thought the boardroom commercial was a tape of a Gray Davis campaign meeting.

On the rehabbing abusers aspect,I interviewed a shelter director for a course I'm taking.Her personal opinion is that abuser rehab is BS because most of them are so good at justifying and rationalizing.