Canada's Quest For World Cup 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'Canada' started by EvanJ, Dec 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    NASL and USL players won't get Canada to a World Cup while concacaf is weak it's not that weak and more countries are sending their players to better leagues in this region. Yes those clubs are probably seen as stepping stones into the MLS but that isn't a model that will move Canada past its current level

2. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Then it is not clear to me how a CPL will (as seems to be the consensus opinion)......is it really felt deeply here that some sort of canadian professional league will be playing at a higher level than NASL or USL?

3. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Realistically, the CPL will at best be equivalent to the NASL/USL. We will not want to be stocking the NT directly with CPL players.

If we're going to go the CPL route, what we will also need is a very clear route for the best CPL players to move on to MLS or other higher level pro leagues. While the CSA won't be able to financially backstop the CPL, it could hopefully help set up that pathway.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I can see where a few cream of the crop CPPL/NASL/USL players will be utilised for the NT, mainly as depth. These will likely be young players expected to move on to bigger things. Or perhaps to provide a place for top young players to be loaned to for playing time when they're not ready to play regularly in MLS or elsewhere.

Basically, we need to attack the problem of the player pool from as many angles as is possible.

slaminsams repped this.
  5. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They won't be, at first. But it'll mean 150+ Canadian pro players. That's probably double what currently exists around the world. Young players can develop in the league, veterans can return. With a USL or NASL team (except academies), you're still looking at a majority of American players.

http://oot-football.blogspot.ca/2016/03/canadian-content-numbers-explainer.html --> This guy tracks minutes by Canadian/foreign players on Canadian teams, and ALL our MLS/NASL teams have AT MOST 31% of their minutes played by Canadian players.

The CSL of 1987-1992 didn't have a great calibre, but it gave an opportunity to many players that served as the base of our 1994 and 1998 WCQ teams that reached the Hex. Honduras, who has beaten us twice to the final WCQ round in the past two cycles, boasts half their team from the domestic league. Currently, Canadian internationals are simply NOT playing enough club football, as many are relegated to bench roles.

The national team is better off with a handful of all-stars from a forthcoming CPL, who are playing and scoring, than benchwarmers in MLS.

6. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    fair enough, well thought out response....still not sure why a few MLS starters were left off that last squad though in favour of some of those bench role players you mention.......it still will come down to selecting the best players...no?

scarborotfcfan repped this.
  7. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Pretty sure that Floro had no intention of qualifying for this WC and was trying out different players.

8. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If that is the case, you have just knocked me off the fence....he should be fired immediately.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What I'm saying is that he's focused on developing the team for long term success. Not that I necessarily agree with his approach, but I'm guessing that's what he probably is going for, and probably made it clear with the CSA that's what he's doing.

10. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Maybe he did not make it clear enough....Benito Finito!

11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not all that surprised. I had a feeling that he would be on his way out, no matter what people thought. The question is, what now?

As an aside, it would appear that Davies is not going to be a flash in the pan, and that's VERY good news going forward.

12. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    But what gets me is they have no coach waiting in the wings, they simply jettisoned him now as a cost saving measure. I guess we shouldn't expect much for next year's gold cup. :cautious:

13. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    His contract was up. They simply chose not to renew.

There's nine months between now and the Gold Cup, or ten if the Gold Cup is in July. That's plenty of time to do the due diligence and make the right hire.

Montagliani also said that we'll have an interim coach in place and that should come soon as we're playing Morocco next month (source).

14. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I wasn't sure where to post this, but I'm looking forward to the friendly match between Canada and Korea in November.

17. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I wasn't aware of this one. Awesome, we're finally playing against somebody good.

I've been to Korea a couple of times. Beautiful country full of wonderful people. Looking forward to a good match.

chook90 repped this.
  18. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Up here it is one never ending qualifying campaign...if/when we actually qualify then we can decide if we want to differentiate between them.

20. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think Evan makes a good point. This thread will now be closed. I will start a general friendlies thread and sticky it.

We can create one for the Gold Cup around May 2017. If anybody wishes to start a general thread on the state of the team and potential qualification in the future let them do so.