Canada's Quest for 2014 WC

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Scorpion26, Jul 3, 2010.

1. TigersOfAsia

TigersOfAsia Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    why isn't he playing for Canada? Is it because of his dad?

2. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He's been holding off on getting capped for anyone as he's been focused on holding his spot with Blackburn.

He's eligible to play for Canada (country of birth), Jamaica (where his parents are from) or England (not sure what it is that makes him eligible for England, other than he's lived there a long while and has family there as well)

There were rumours that he was also eligible to play for the USA but those have been debunked.

Anyway, he's stated publicly that he intends to play for Canada, his father apparently is pushing him for Jamaica. England is not really a consideration since he stands little chance of making the squad.

3. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

lol well said, can't make it any clearer than that.

In a perfect world, Liverpool would buy him in January, he becomes the perfect strike partner for Luis Suarez, and he chooses Canada before the next group stage, leading us to WC qualification for the first time since 1986 :D

4. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That would be ideal Cody.... Anyways we all got to be patient and see what decision he actually makes hopefully Canada wins the lottery.

5. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    We're about due for a win in that department after some big ones that went the other way.

6. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It'll be intersting to see if Hoilett makes a decision in time for the next round of qualifying or still decides to hold out still even longer while he gets his club situation sorted.

If he doesn't choose Canada, it's a blow to us, but it's even more of a blow to us that he'll be playing for a key rival instead.

In my mind, Jamaica is the most promising team to take #3 in the hex, and Hoilett choosing them will all but seal it, and we'll be in really deep to grab the #4 spot to play against New Zealand.

7. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    To my mind, even putting Canada in the hex is getting ahead of things. I'm not saying we won't make it but I don't think we can assume we will at this point.

8. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well with the scheduling set up for Canada we got a pretty good chance. Can't wait for the next round and I hope before this CMNT sets up plenty of friendlies for the team and also the young guys coming up.

9. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We can assume nothing.

10. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I know we still have this round to contend with and I wasn't making any assumptions really, the point was that we won't get to Brazil without getting by Jamaica, and Hoilett choosing them over us would be a serious double whammy in that respect.

11. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    i think canada grabbing 4th in the hex would actually be easier than advancing from the current group stage with honduras and panama. that's not to say it can't happen, but i mean, it's just more possible incentive for hoilett to choose jamaica since their ride won't be very difficult.

12. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    James Sharman sits down with Toronto FC midfielder Julian De Guzman who has some very interesting news regarding his Champions League playing brother, Jonathan.

13. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    that would be great to have both players join Canada for next round. I hope it does happen.

14. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    very intriguing, thanks for the link. either could be big, i almost want to keep myself from even imagining both going our way.

15. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Huge news, Jon wanting to call Hoillet...

--------Julien De Guzman---------Hutchinsen-----------------
    ---DERO-------------Jonathon De Guzmen----------Hoillet--
    ------------------------Jackson/Friend(he would finally get a good supply line)

16. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Any friendlies set for next month?

17. MrVillan

MrVillan Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    ^Rumours about a London friendly v New Zealand in the February break. [Link.]

Haven't heard anything about January.

18. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not a bad idea for us to have a game vs NZ to size them up, we may have to play them for real in couple of years.

19. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    i hope it happens, that would be an interesting matchup and playing in london would be fantastic.

20. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Could be a good crowd, both Canada and New Zealand have a great number of expats in London.

21. intoronto1125

intoronto1125 Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Interesting to note on FIFA.com Canada is scheduled to play Tunisia on the same day that news article suggests the game is to be played.

22. MrVillan

MrVillan Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The Tunisia friendly was scrapped last I knew, so that's just FIFA being slow updating their info.

23. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    All I know is that I'm hoping Canada uses up all the friendlies they possibly can have up until the WCQ in ConCaCaf starts up again. More game the better I believe.

24. intoronto1125

intoronto1125 Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    reallY? never knew.

25. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Would like to have some friendlies against Central American opponents to prepare for qualifying. We're not going to encouter any teams that play like New Zealand in qualifying (ie the exect way we play).