Canada's Quest for 2014 WC

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Scorpion26, Jul 3, 2010.

1. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    i'm watching honduras shred serbia, it's pretty scary.

2. Shaz

Shaz New Member

May 18, 2008
    Nashville
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Anybody aware of any link(s) to a live feed for the Canada v St. Kitts/Nevis match tonight?

Thanks.

3. intoronto1125

intoronto1125 Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Sportsnet.ca?

4. Shaz

Shaz New Member

May 18, 2008
    Nashville
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Not seeing a link to a live feed that site. If you do find it, can you kindly post it?

Thanks

5. DudsBro

DudsBro Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Don't know about an internet feed, but turn on your tv to Sportsnet ONE and its there, with a replay at 8:00 on Sportsnet Pacific.

6. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada rout St. Kitts 4-0 in 2nd-rd. finale
    [​IMG]
    Canucks break goal drought, DeRo pulls even atop all-time charts

TORONTO — If Canada had a point to prove after a couple of frustrating performances, they certainly did their best to do so with a resounding 4-0 victory over St. Kitts and Nevis on Tuesday night in the final World Cup qualification match of the year.

Goals by Olivier Occean, Dwayne De Rosario, Josh Simpson and Tosaint Ricketts lifted the Canadians to the win, which capped off a second-round group stage that Canada had clinched prior to the kickoff at BMO Field.

In stark contrast to the frustrating 0-0 draw between the two sides four days earlier in St. Kitts, this match was a much more open affair as the Canadians looked to put some goals on the board for the first time after going scoreless in two matches.

Canada found lots of space up front and, through the hard work of forwards Ricketts and Simpson, created a few good runs into the attacking third in the opening stages.

Despite the Canadians’ newfound enthusiasm for going forward, it was actually the visitors who got the first real chance of the match, as they rang a shot off Kenny Stamatopoulos’ left post after a quick counterattack at the quarter-hour mark.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/11/15/wcq-recap-canada-rout-st-kitts-4-0-2nd-rd-finale

7. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    From my vantage point in the south end, I had a superb view of the St. Kitts first half goal scoring opportunity and in all honesty, I thought it was going to go in. Even after it hit the post, I thought it was going in.

I wonder what an early St. Kitts goal would have done to the match. Would it have made Canada come back even stronger or would it have been the opposite. As it were, I choose to believe the former.

In any case, having not seen the game on TV, what happened near the end of the match when the St. Kitts keeper went down and the visitors mobbed the referee eventually leading to Nana's yellow card?

thx
    B

8. MrVillan

MrVillan Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think the goaltender was just bowled over by Nana as he went for a header. Y'know, that type of collision in the box that happens all the time off of corners.

I don't know why he went nuts, or why he tried to go after another Canadian player (Morgan?) and had to be physically restrained by his team mates. I remember he got knocked earlier in the match, and he was very close to having his hands on the ball Ricketts poked in. I guess he was just feeling abused?

Then again, I was also in the South End so not the best view of it.

9. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a quick question. Why has Canada played all their WCQ matches in Toronto? Will they continue doing so? Why not Montreal and Vancouver?

10. intoronto1125

intoronto1125 Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    No one knows why, but probably because it was the only venue available on short notice. My theory is since Toronto is so multicultural they will want to play games elsewhere in the next round, and to compensate they played this round in Toronto.

11. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    i think the keeper was legitimately shaken up after the collision in the first half and never really recovered, so that probably led to him being a bit touchy in the second half. st. kitts wasn't too bad though, i think their quality in context is somewhat astounding.

as for why only toronto thus far, i think it's mostly a convenience factor. vancouver is typically unrealistic because of the extra travel, but i wouldn't be surprised if maybe one match is played in montreal next round. good to see a 10,000+ crowd out to this type of game.

i'll hand it to ledgerwood, i've said he looks out of place on the national level before but i thought he had a very strong game tonight. i think the biggest individual factor to take out of this stage is the emergence of edgar, moving forward i don't see how you can not play him. the national team and simeon jackson may have found a bit of luck - norwich city has loaned out a forward who has seen some time on the pitch, so hopefully simeon will be more of a consistent sub for them now - perhaps even start at times.

aside from hoilett's father, i think the thing going against us for david is he's got a much easier ride to the hex with jamaica and careers are very fleeting, but...hopefully he follows his initial thought though, for our sake :p

12. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is BMO Field the national stadium?

13. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Yes, but more in the sense of "we'll always have one place we can be sure will be available when we need it" than in the sense of "this is the one and only home of the national team."

14. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    As a Torontonian I thought that assigning all three games to Toronto was pretty unfair to the rest of the country, then someone gave me an explanation that made sense, but I forget what it was.

The CSA has stated that the next round of matches will be distributed around the country. Montreal, Vancouver and Edmonton are the most likely candidates.

15. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That being said, I doubt Toronto will be shut out.

Let's not forget that Commonwealth Stadium is now an artificial surface and unless the match in Vancouver is played at Swangard (which could happen), it would be on the artificial surface of BC Place. While that doesn't rule Commonwealth or Swangard out as venues, its generally acknowledged that the players hate those surfaces.

Stade Saputo is grass of course.

16. canref

canref Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Due to confliction with the 2015 pan-am games, no games of the fifa 2015 womens world cup will be played in toronto. I have to assume that having zero world cup games in toronto has something to do with the large amount of national team games here now.

17. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I understood this to be an effort at proactive marketing. The CSA worked (hard from what I here) with the various supporters groups and area soccer clubs to sell tickets to this group of games and get larger, pro-Canadian crowds at each of the matches.

Given the, relative, lack of marquee status of the opponents and the fact each match, even a meaningless one on a November night with the Leafs playing at home, had over 10k.....I think they can judge that strategy successful.

18. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Montreal was supposed to be unavailable due to the stadium upgrades ... however construction was delayed. But by then it was too late. Normally matches are played in Edmonton, but that stadium was converted to turf, so it's unlikely to see as many games in the future. Vancouver doesn't have any larger stadiums with grass.

I'd expect next year to be a mixture of Montreal and Toronto - and perhaps BC Place if they can bring themselves to play on turf. The players didn't seem very happy to be playing on it at BMO Field before it was converted to grass.

19. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    hoping for an american officiating crew in honduras or panama

20. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I hope that Canada is going to set up friendlies for every chances it can until the WCQ starts again in June. Games against the US, Mexico, and other European countries home and away situations. I want to see CMNT playing together often and youngsters getting many more chances to play. C'mon SH lead the this squad to our first WC since 86'.

21. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We should play Cuba in Toronto, Panama in Montreal, and Honduras in Edmonton or Vancouver.

We need to keep Panama out of Toronto and Honduras out of Montreal or we risk being out-supported at home.

22. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Holliet needs to make a decision......

23. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Don't expect it until the end of the January transfer window.It appears as if Blackburn will fail to extend his contract and he'll be sold. After he gets a long term deal somewhere he'll decide...hopefully on joining Canada.

24. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    i really doubt he'll stay with blackburn

25. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area