Canada WNT 2017

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by lil_one, Jan 11, 2017.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, I can't find a recent thread for Canada's WNT, and since I have nowhere else to put this news and since they are a top 5 team, I thought they needed a thread.

And other recent news:

And upcoming games:
    Friendly against Mexico on Feb. 4 in Vancouver and then Algarve Cup March 1-8.

gricio61 repped this.
  2. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still trying to figure out why Canada isn't included in the SBC?
    Prior commitments maybe?

3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or simply don't want to? I think both USSF and CSA would agree that its not like the two teams don't play each often enough as it is.

While it would be nice to have a tournament with all the top 5 teams in it, I don't think USSF has any intention of increasing the tournament past 4 teams, or at least from the rumors, all 4 teams (and only those 4) at the SheBelieves committed to the tournament for x number of years. Not to mention, a five-team tournament is awkward.

4. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only mentioned Canada because I thought that because USSF and CSA were committed to developing their players via the NWSL, they might work together more.

Actually, I was thinking they might expand the SBC to 8 teams in the future.
    I would like to see a few more good teams get in on the action.
    Would make for a great annual tournament, instead of just a good one.

5. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I don't think they will extend before 2019, the current 3 years contract expire next year, so we will see the same four teams again, unless someone breaks the contract.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  6. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Who!!!? Tancredi? Wilkinson? I know I read somewhere recently an interview with Sinclair saying she wasn't done and had more to give CWNT. I'm ok with Tank and Wilkinson retiring, they're replaceable. Sinclair is def NOT

7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would guess Tancredi and someone else. I'm ~95% sure its not Sinclair.

8. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Yup, Tancredi retired. As did Rhian Wilkinson and Marie-Eve Nault. I figured it would be these players. They are older now, and the young group coming up is strong. They had a good run. Well done on their careers, and all the best in their future outside soccer.

9. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

12. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  14. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Kaylyn Kyle and Josee Belanger announce international retirement. :(

gricio61 repped this.
  15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the latest bit of WTF news, Herdman has switched over to be the head coach of the Canada MNT. I'm sure it pays more and he probably feels like its a promotion, but he just went from the #5 team in the world to a team that's ranked 94 and hasn't qualified for a World Cup since the 1980s. The players also apparently found out on social media, which is pretty sh*tty. Good luck on getting to celebrate any wins now, Herdman.

Kenneth Heiner-Møller who was the assistant coach (and formerly coached Denmark) is now head coach.

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  16. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So much for a coach being loyal to players. So much for the Canadian bosses caring about the WNT as compared to the MNT. So much for Herdman getting any respect from WoSo fans.

As Canadian WNT captain Sinclair says, "Speechless!"

17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Culling twitter for more info, the rumor is that Herdman wanted the MNT job, and it wasn't something CSA manipulated to help the men's program. Instead Herdman used the offer of the England WNT job as leverage to get CSA to offer him the job to keep him within the program. Still sh*tty of Herdman to think coaching the Canadian MNT is a promotion over the top ranked, medal-winning WNT. Although if I'm being generous, maybe he just wanted a bigger challenge...the men's program will certainly be one. But I really think it was all about the money as I'm sure he's getting a pay raise.

A Canadian reporter was investigating the story and about to drop it, which is why CSA had to announce it now. But I still think CSA and/or Herdman could have given players a heads up.

18. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think it's been much more than coincidental that there's switch from male to female coaches for NT's almost everywhere around the world, The SBC now can proudly boast all four female coached teams.

Unfortunately this trend hasn't been necesarily an successful one; for every excellent female coach(Wiegmann/Holland) they've some big disasters/ Germany hired Stefi Jones who had formerly no previous experiences(she showed that with her horribly coached losses to Denmark & Iceland)

The French coach, Diacre had more of a rep, previously coaching a men's 2nd division team. But then from what I read, that team jumped way up from they're mediocre record right after Diacre left for the NT position.

Enough said about Sampson's departure from England, but I think that Herdman just wanted out of the wacky(perhaps anti male coach) world that woso has become?

19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, I'm sorry, what? Are you saying that you think Herdman felt discriminated against as a male? Did you notice who was named head coach in his place?

By my count, only 8 of the top 20 WNT have a female head coach (not counting Marley at England since she's interim). I would guess that the vast majority of those below the top 20 have a male head coach. Progress made towards equality is NOT discrimination towards men.

So should we talk about the vast dearth of female coaches on the men's side? Or do you want to mention some of the male head coaches that have been a "disaster"? Maybe, just maybe failure as a coach might have something to do with one's experience or coaching prowess rather than gender.

[Stepping off soapbox now...this is obviously touching on one of my hot-button issues]

McSkillz, gricio61, cpthomas and 2 others repped this.
  20. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    No, voted best manager of the year by France Football in 2015.

And I don't get that anti-male coach reference at all either ?

blissett repped this.
  21. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    loyalty in sports is close to being antiquated, no?

nothing wrong with herdman wanting to step up (and make more $$).

...as long as he accepts the greater likelihood of him being out on the street without a job in short order.

he could have been coach of the women's team for many more years into the future. but he might have been getting bored, and probably felt he was close to the ceiling with that team.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  22. William49

William49 Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Chicagoland
    Ellis: $200k/yr.
    Klinsmann: $2.5M-$3.2M/yr.

Sampson: $73k-$110k/yr.
    Southgate: $1.33M/yr

Those ratios would suggest that the pay increase that comes with moving from the women's team to the men's team is substantial.

gricio61 repped this.
  23. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing this tells me is that Ellis was overpaid; although, this post probably belongs in the Fire Jill Ellis thread.

24. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure that there is a jump in pay, but I'm also sure the increase is not as significant when we're talking about the Canada NTs. Canada has a men's NT that has not qualified for the WC since 1986, i.e. they haven't gotten the FIFA money for qualifying in years. Plus, its a men's program that only had two home games in 2017, in which attendances were around 6000 and 20000. Even with sponsorships, there's no way Canada has a program as flush with cash as the US or England.

blissett repped this.
  25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll add one more thing: I remember Herdman talking about wanting to jump to the men's side before, and I get his reasons for wanting to do so. The timing of this and the way it went down though are still sh*tty. Instead of waiting until 2020, he jumps middle of the cycle and he doesn't let the players know. His reasoning is probably along the lines of not waiting until a possible, huge blunder at the WWC or Olympics, after which he wouldn't be as valuable to CSA. And he has the leverage of the England job right now...I get all that. Its still sh*tty, especially for the players.

And its also crappy that in 2018, its still going to be considered a "step up" if you jump to the men's side, even if the pay was the same.