Canada V. Brazil May 31 Pre/PbP/Post Game Discussion

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Bakaman, May 15, 2008.

1. futbol_Jonz

futbol_Jonz Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Toronto

that's some good posting! i take back my negatives about you.

2. wyly

wyly New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Calgary
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    1st goal-Stalteri's fault, stuck his foot in on a tackle and was undressed, the shot was screened from the keepers sight...I played with an ex pro keeper and he was forever screaming at me to let him see the shot, he'd wanted me to block/eliminate the shot to the far post he'd handle any to the near side...if the keeper can't see it, he can't react in time...

2nd goal, maybe, but at that short range it's extremely diffcult to react to any re-direction of the ball, I thought he did well...

3rd goal...JDG's fault and maybe Serioux was slow to react...one on one the attacker should almost always score, Canada missed two similar opportunites

something that always bothered me as a coach and player is that when you win the attackers are the heros and recieve all the glory, when you lose the defenders and keepers are blamed...blame has to be shared, you win and lose as a team...

3. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    As a former CB and a coach I really hate when our attackers miss gift chances (I'm looking at you, Issey!)

4. wyly

wyly New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Calgary
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I thought Issey remained on too long and looked done at about 60mins... he shouldn't have been a starter, IMO...

It was only a friendly and we shouldn't think we're the equal of Brazil missing a couple key performers but I was still encouraged by our performance...calmly playing the ball out of our own third and actually creating chances against a formidable opponent...

5. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I would add that Radzinski's fuel tank is also good for about 65 minutes when he's starting in the flank position, then he needs to be replaced.

On first (and thus far, only) viewing of this match I would say Issey needed to provide some better crossing service from the flanks. But in previous matches I liked his contributions to the possession-quick passing part of the game, so I think if his play at club level continues to progress he will be a regular starter. He can play on both flanks, so that also helps his claim.

6. wyly

wyly New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Calgary
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I don't recall Radzinski in the 2nd so you're probably correct.... Radzinski's best years are behind him maybe bringing him on at the 60/70 minute mark would be more productive... those aging legs are still quick, 20-30 minutes in the 2nd half against a tiring opponent might be the perfect role for Radz, a supersub like Roger Milla at 42...

I've only seen Farran play twice so it's hard for me to argue his value fairly, his crosses weren't the best and I'm generally not impressed with what I've seen so far...

7. simon99

simon99 New Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Montreal, Canada
    Exactly, Grizzly is being way to harsh on Onstad for those 3 goals and I'm pretty sure DM will start Pat against SVG.

On the Lars thing, Grizzly said that he has played at a better level than the other 2 keepers. Apart from 6 CL games, I'm not really sure that Lars playing in Norway and playing 4-5 games in Romania is much better than playing in the MLS and CONCACAF cup. Also, you can have an argument about Onstad playing 55 times for Canada. I've seen our 3 keepers and I don't see much difference between Lars and Onstad when both are healthy. To me, even if Sutton is having a good year, he's still third string.