Canada v. Argentina [R]

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by nsa, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    I slept on it, and I think that Latham is a monster ticket to winning games.

She she hustles butt, she scores two goals. When she spectates, nada. Ièm aware that other players are involved as well, but Latham is key. Shes the bursier that gives Sinclair the room.

Lang, I think, needs to sit for a while.

2. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    Well, it certainly is begining to look that way. I wonder what bs excuses are we going to hear later from the coaching staff. I think our players have been very supportive of Pellerud so far. But just watch for any little sign of discontent. I vote for Charmaine to become the coach.

I hope I am wrong, but playing (if we can call that playing) the way we have been, we have no chance against Japan.

3. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    Agree Lang just can't seem to settle. She's a good player but she's having a rough time. She had one good moment as she set up Latham's first goal.

If we go with 433 vs JPN
    I vote we start with
    Dennis Nonen Andrews Morneau
    Timko Neil (If she's healthy) Lang
    Latham Hooper Sinclair

Let's put some experience in the middle of the field where we seem to be having a problem. Andrews has played stopper before. Her height should complement Nonen's speed.

Nice article on Burtini
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030924.wburtini/BNStory/Sports/

4. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I suspect Japan will try to play a counter game...so having defenders with moblity is the key...

I don't think Japan will bunker, just NOT commits lots of players forward...

1st goal....whomever gets it has a huge edge.

Both sides, style differ greatly, but the match will be a war...

advanatage Japan needing a draw entering, but if they play too passively, giving Canada too much time on the ball, eventually the goal(s) will come for canada.

5. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Latham did have a much better game against Argentina then against Germany. It seemed like she was tired in the game versus Germany.

Lang is a very frustrating player to watch. She makes some wonderful plays, but then she has a few dreadful balls.

6. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
  7. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
  8. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    i like that lineup, but is it going to happen? don't think so.

the back 4 will likely remain the same ... pellerud has been pretty firm with that. plus, he likes both kiss and matheson in his midfield, and if we have both of them (and neil) then that means timko is the odd-middie out, and thus playing D to have her on the field.

BUT, i do hope i am all wrong, and your lineup will start this weekend!!

elaine

9. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    I have to agree about us not looking good when the pressure is on. As everyone was getting excited in the build up I couldn't help think of us looking really bad against Mexico in the Gold Cup semi. With our World Cup berth on the line we really didn't look good.

Last night with our World Cup lives on the line it was the same thing (only worse).

The thing I don't understand is that we're not running. We're not making the off-the-ball runs needed to support whoever has the ball. Our defenders need to start taking the ball up the pitch when they have 20 yards of free space ahead of them, but when we're under any pressure, no one is making a run to encourage the short ball. Maybe they know we're not supposed to send it short, but if no one's running then it's not going to happen anyway.

We're very young and we're playing a younger lineup than we need to. I think that's a mistake. Dennis has been great and proved me wrong, she's up for it at this level, but I would love to see Morneau out there. Get Matheson and Wilkinson off. They have a bright future, but their out of their depth. We missed Neil last night and I thought our energy picked up once Burtini came in. She didn't do a whole lot to create, but we were better once she came on.

Swiatek also played well, but I thought Even was sending a message that the game was going to be a walk-over when he decided to go with our No. 2 keeper. I got nervous as soon as I saw that. She played well, but I think it was the wrong thing to do mentally.

We know we're in for a fight Saturday and we know it's all on the line. Hopefully we're full of running and passion and fight.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is amazed at how un-fit we are. I thought we were supposed to be the fittest team in the tournament and I don't think we've been the fittest team in either game. The Japanese could be capable of running circles around us. It doesn't help that we chase all game and we don't use our subs. If Pellerud says that played like Morneau, Moscato and Hermus weren't healthy enough to play, but were still on the roster, that just isn't acceptable.

cheers,
    hobbes

10. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    She makes me wanna tear my hair out sometimes.

Then I remember that she's 16.

11. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    "She makes me wanna tear my hair out sometimes.

Then I remember that she's 16'

Yeah, that's the thing. I say bring her on as a sub. Start Burtini or someone else in midfield. Bring in the experience.

12. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    You know that's not a bad idea. Give Lang some motivation........Canada has the talent they just need ot play together. Didn't here any chatter in Wednesday's game. Very different from the US's game can alway shere chatter. Maybe the mike was too far away maybe Canada's just being too quiet!

13. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    I completely agree.

14. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
  15. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    :rolleyes:

16. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    Argentina moved the ball around well. Dominated? No. Typically as I recall it they moved the ball around well until they got into Canada's end where they were ususally stripped of the ball before they could get a shot off. Medina did have a few scarey chances but for a time in the second half. Canada had Argentina pretty much hemmed in their own end. Then they took Latham out and Argentina had a few more chances.