Canada v. Argentina [R]

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by nsa, Sep 24, 2003.

1. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Later tonight.

Is the over/under on Canadian goals near 10? ;)

2. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    First half done. 1-0 off a Hooper PK.

I'm shocked it's not 13-0 for ARG.

*shakes head*

3. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is Sinclair? The line-up says that she's in, but her name shows nowhere on Matchtracker. How can she be that uninvolved in the play?

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    15 minutes to go and Hooper's PK still the lone goal.

Canada just can't put the Argies away ... Lang and Latham in particular have been wasteful.

5. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    latham scores two late in the game.

a poor game for canada...they looked really disorganized and lacking "it".

very frustrating game to watch, and medina for argentina is a great great player to keep an eye on for the future.

elaine

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    At least Canada has a clear objective for the next match - beat Japan or trudge on home.

A tie won't do any good as Japan's goal difference is +3 (6F, 3A) while Canada's is even (4F, 4A).

7. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    Good Lord!
    Where the heck was our mid-field?
    Could Canada actually pass to each other on the ground?

Stop with the *#*#*#*#ing long balls. Canada can't win those. If they play like this against Japan, they are going home for certain. *#*#*#*# will they ever settle?

We need a mid-field.

8. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    I uh ... wow.

Not exactly the game I'd want to take home as the first World Cup with in Canuck history.

Only 3 postives I can really see ... 1. it's a win regardless, 2. Taryn was nothing short of awesome. I don't think she had one shakey moment. 3. Hoop was still Hoop, just futher back on the pitch.

Our youngin's seem lost.

9. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    Now ... it seems to me that the more pressure we're under, the less we seem to show up.

10. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    Yeah. lost is the word for it. Could we be more out of sync?

Even talked about Argentina having talent but not playing like a team. I think he really needed to substitute Canada for Argentina in his talk. If goal differential was important why take Latham off? She was on a roll. 2 goals in a row. As soon as LAtham came off Canada got back into that "oh here you're in blue please pick off my pass" groove that they were in for the first 65 minutes........

11. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    I think you mean 80 minutes.

12. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    Sinclair had a neat move where she neatly walked away from 3 Argentinian players only to be stripped by a fourth. Ahhhhhhhhh!

Would roll the tape back to watch the first half but I'm so annoyed I just don't feel like it. At the very least Canada came away with a win.............

13. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    Naw, they had a few chances before Latham finally scored. Set up by Lang who seemed to pick it up for a few minutes. As soon as Latham came out though it was back to pingpong. So Canada played wellish for ~10 minutes maybe from 70-83 you think?

Wilkinson so needed to come out before she got a red for doing something stupid. Where's Moscato? Can we put Izzy on the field and push Timko up to midfield? Please then atleast we'd have some mid-field presence. Burtini wasn't bad, looked a bit slow on a few play though. She helped create that 3rd goal.

Oh and I thought Dennis had a not bad game.

Basically though we need a midfield. Matheson's a good player, but she's got no height......... I thought the ref was going to give her another yellow near the end of the game then realised what it would mean and moved her hand away from her pocket...............

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030923.wsoco24_2/BNStory/Sports/

14. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    The Women's Gold Cup final not entering into your equation, then?

Probably safe to assume Easy Evvie won't be putting Hooper in defense next time.

15. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Hard to make use of a midfield when you're playing long balls over their heads as soon as you win the ball.

Or, to put it another way:

[John Walker]Midfield? What's that?[/JW]

16. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    Well, no that was an no pressure game. Canada was in at that point beating the US would have just been gravy. Canada vs Mexico at the gold cup semi-finals was a pressure game.

I think though that Canada is having a hard time with the world cup pressure. They aren't talking (or sure doesn't look like it), aren't stringing plays together and only working the long ball...

17. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    I assumed as much.

As for the long ball approach, isn't that how Canada got to where they are now? Playing the ball into space and letting Hooper or whoever else run onto it behind the defense plays to Canada's strengths, doesn't it?

18. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    Umm usually, yes that does, because the mid-field apears to be mising. But not in this game as the long balls were all being won by the Argentinians. Partly because they seemed to have 5 defenders (haven't seen the line up looked very 5-3-2 though) partly due to ARG's aerial skill and partly due to bad aim on the Canadians part. The ball would then fall into no man's land (where our non-existant midfiled was supposed to be) bounce the ARG player would retrieve the ball and pass it to her teammate.

Maybe its nerves, this is Canada's first win in a world cup ever, if they do lose to Japan, it will still be a better performance than any they've ever had..........

Anoterh CP (canadian Press) article

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/story.asp?id=F65CF166-058D-465F-AA6D-DAAA58085B31

19. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    carm is still coming back from injury ... she hasn't played w/the sr. team since may, so i don't know what her status is entirely. but i do know she said she was feeling great when i saw her over the weekend.

i highly doubt there will be any changes to the starting lineup next game ... maybe andie will be back if she's ready to go ... i hope izzy gets some time.

elaine

20. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I want to wash my eyes out with bleach after watching that game.

21. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    2 goals from set plays and only 1 from run of play against the weakest? team in the Cup. Not very encouraging prospect going against Japan. 5 players yellow carded in two games. We are putting the effort in fouls rather than winning balls and showing some second effort like in Latham's first goal. I guess is back to passing school. As for being the fittest team according to Pellerud, why were so many Canadian players holding on to their knees. A clear sign of exhaustion.

22. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Exactly...

Canada couldn't make a pass tonight. It seemed like they were always trying to pass to the team in blue.

Oh well, a win is a win I suppose... :rolleyes:

I just hope they come out better against Japan...

23. donzerly

donzerly New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Toronto
    I'll tell you what her status is: She's on the roster for Canada's World Cup team!

What is Even Pellerud thinking, putting players on the WC roster who are unable to play due to injury, and haven't played with the team for months?

In my view, Pellerud must answer for the poor showing at the WC. He's had plenty of time and has been given loads of talented players but he is unable to produce a full roster of able-bodied players.

He has failed to produce a team that can get motivated for the important games; he is constantly tinkering and experimenting with lineups and formations (even during a match!), so that there is no recognizable system of play; players are constantly expected to adjust to new tactics and to play alongside teammates they are not familiar with; experienced players are benched or moved out of their optimum positions; the team is incapable of controlling possession of the ball (38% of possession in the first half against Argentina) and plays the kind of kick-and-run style of soccer you see in high school matches.

I don't think Pellerud knows what he's doing. It's time to let Ian Bridge take over.

24. AntiU

AntiU New Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Ok my turn...

WOW... can they SUCK more!? And I'm not just talking players here... I'm talking dumbass Pellerud too! I completely agree with the comment above ^ . He's had more than enough time to make this a great team and yet I think my AAA team from 2 years ago would have kick their a$$es. He's got ALOT to answer for. I've been around women's soccer enough to know about the f*ing politics and money aspect. If it wasn't for that, I'd probably be on that team right now. This whole thing proves my point from the very beginning about our high level soccer. If you don't know the right people, you don't have the money, forget about it! That starting 11 is no way the best in this country. No f*ing way that we don't have girls over 2x that shouldn't be on that team.

Sorry about that... needed to get that out after that crappy game.

[/enough rant about sports politics]

On with the match. What was the formation at the beginning 4-2-4!?? I never laughed so much in my life. Did they get skunked on that one or what! There's no build-up what-so-ever. Vertical play was all we got. F*k... didn't they realize after 20 minuted it didn't work. Playing vertical is nice but when your 4 stricker up front can't get the ball... forget about it. Start playing horizontal, keeping control, you know... PASSES from one player of the same team to another!?!?

When Burtini came on (finaly) it proved my point from the last thread (CAN vs GER). WE NEED EXPERIENCE ON THE FIELD!!! Granted she ain't the fastest as she did look a tad slow on some plays. Howerver, she has experience. She know where to be on the field and what to do with the ball. As soon as she came on, that's when the pressure started goin' and goal scorin'. Kara Lang played like absolute crap. Other honorable mentions: Sinclair and Whilkinson(sp).

When is Pellerud's and CSA's light bulb gonna go on and realize he needs experienced players. Walsh should have been on this squad hands down. Morneau and Burtinin should be on the pitch... at least for the first 45 min. to give these KIDS a boost.

Anywho... like everyone else said at least we've got the win. I ain't too confident with the game against JPN though. No way in hell are they going to win playing $hit soccer like this and it starts with the coaching staff.

25. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    Gold Cup ... World Cup ... Gold Cup ... World Cup ...