Canada to face Iceland this summer

Discussion in 'Canada' started by RedandWhite, Feb 2, 2007.

1. RedandWhite

RedandWhite Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Canada
    OTTAWA (ONTARIO) – The Canadian Soccer Association and the Football Association of Iceland (Knattspyrnusamband Íslands) have announced that their men’s national teams will face each other in an international friendly this Aug. 22, 2007 in Reykjavik, Iceland. A return Canadian date will be played in either 2008 or 2009.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=2618

2. hodgkiss

hodgkiss New Member

May 21, 2006
    Toronto
    i'm excited they're going to be playing but couldn't we be playing better calibre teams? we need to improve and the only way we can do taht is to play quality teams. nothing against iceland. but what about scotland or austria again or even colombia or autralia???

3. LOS_DE_ABAJO

LOS_DE_ABAJO New Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Cool, I hope Canada does well as they are currently in my opinion the most-improved team in the CONCACAF. Good luck!. Looking forward to a good U-20 Tourney;) !

4. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Hodgkiss - I agree with your point but disagree with your example. If Canada can beat Iceland in Iceland then Canada is doing a lot better than I gave them credit for. Iceland aren't a bunch of Jimmys who will be pushovers.

5. hodgkiss

hodgkiss New Member

May 21, 2006
    Toronto
    if thsi wasn't the only friendly we had scheduled for the last 6 months, i would think it was a good thing. the fact is, so far this is our only comnpetition in 6 months and its a team that is 12 spots down in teh standings. we need to play teams like the usa, mexico, peru, wales, austria, switzerland etc if we want to become much better - sepecially when its only one match. come on, tahts just poor planning by soccer canada! they need to dig much deeper than this! a 0-0 draw with your (at that time #5) currently#31 ranked team is worthy of much better opponents than #93...

6. simon99

simon99 New Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Montreal, Canada
    If Iceland was playing in CONCACAF they would be somewhere between 50 and 70 in the rankings. They are a good side, a good opponent I think.

When the groups and schedule will be known for the GC, I imagine we'll have one or two games announce prior to the tournament (let's hope for a game in Canada).