Canada roster for Guatemala WCQ - Nov 17

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Canadian_Supporter, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    1 Lars Hirschfeld GK Dundee United, SPL 10/17/78 16 4
    22 Greg Sutton GK Montreal Impact, A- League 4/19/77 1 1

2 Gabriel Gervais D Montreal Impact, A-League 9/18/76 2 0
    4 Kevin McKenna D Hearts, Scottish Premier 1/21/80 24 7
    11 Mike Klukowski D La Louviere, Belgian First Division 5/27/81 3 0
    3 Tyler Hughes D Toronto Lynx, A-League 11/11/1980 0 0
    5 Nevio Pizzolitto D Montreal Impact/San Diego 8/26/76 9 0
    13 Atiba Hutchinson D Helsingborg, Swedish Premier 03/08/1983 10 1

15 Josh Simpson M Millwall, English First Division 5/15/83 5 0
    11 Jaime Peters M Unattached 05/04/1987 4 0
    7 Sandro Grande M Montreal Impact, A-League 9/29/76 3 0
    8 Patrice Bernier M Tromso, Norwegian Premier 9/23/79 5 0
    6 Adrian Serioux M Millwall, English First Division 05/12/1979 1 0
    10 Felix Brillant M New England Revolution, MLS 09/09/1980 0 0

14 Dwayne de Rosario F San Jose Earthquakes, MLS 5/15/78 26 6
    9 Olivier Occean F Odd Grenland, Norwegian First Division 10/23/81 6 0

Good to see some new blood in the roster since we are already out of WCQ. New faces for this game are Felix Brillant and Tyler Hughes. Too bad the game won't be shown on TV :(

2. Saviola7

Saviola7 New Member

Jul 18, 2004
    Leiden, NL
    wow. the oldest player will be 28 ... I guess this is what things will look like in 4 years ...

3. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

I sure hope our goalkeeping is better in 4 years.

4. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As do I.

5. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Not a knock on Sutton, but he's unproven. The numbers he put up in the A-League are more to do with the team he had in front of him in Montreal than his superior goalkeeping. Who knows he may shine at the international level. Hirschfeld has done nothing recently, so I can't really be confident in him.

6. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sutton deserves a chance in Europe. Then we shall see if he is up to the challenge.

On another note, the game against Guatemala will not be shown in Canada. This is the first WCQ since 1997 that hasn't been on TV. The last game of the Hex in Costa Rica was also not shown on TV because Canada was already eliminated. TSN decided not to pick up the broadcast.

7. Gagnons

Gagnons New Member

Oct 9, 2004
    Klukowski isnt going, he's wounded. Its on www.raal.be for those that dont speak french. It just says that hes not going cause he f.cked up his leg... overstretched it or whatever

8. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Klukowski Replaced by Valente

WHITECAPS ALFREDO VALENTE CALLED UP FOR NATIONAL DUTY

…Whitecaps captain to join Canada in Guatemala

Vancouver, BC – Whitecaps FC Director of Soccer Operations Bob Lenarduzzi announced today that Whitecaps Men’s team captain, Alfredo Valente, has been called up for national team duty by head coach Frank Yallop. Valente will dress for Canada in their final World Cup Qualifying match Wednesday, November 17th in Guatemala.

Valente will replace midfielder Mike Klukowski who was injured playing for his club team, La Louviere, Belgium. Carlo Corazzin is the other Whitecap to participate in this round of World Cup Qualifying, playing in the October 13th match at Swangard Stadium vs. Costa Rica.

“We’re extremely excited for Alfredo,” says Whitecaps Director of Soccer Operations Bob Lenarduzzi. “This is a great opportunity for him to experience what it’s like to play at that kind of level, and he is fully deserving of the selection.”

Canada is 0-3-2 in this semi-final round of qualifying in CONCACAF. Guatemala is 3-1-1 and has already advanced to the final round of qualifying in the region.

Whitecaps Communications

9. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Valente had a so so season with the Whitecaps this year. This doesn't give me great confidence in the ability the national team has in judging talent.

10. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's not the 'national team' judging the talent. You're saying you had some confidence when Corazzin was called for the last game???

11. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They (CSA) didn't have enough time to call up a European player, so they had to go with a North American player.

If Valente didn't have a great season, I wonder what other options (ie players) they could have looked at?

12. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

You know what I meant. Sorry for not wording it properly for you.

Yes I had some confidence in the Corazzin call up. He scored some beauty goals last season (check his beauty bicycle kick goal out in the video section of the Whitecaps website) and he was inserted into the lineup in a game played in the stadium he scored those beauty goals. He might not have been as match fit as the whiny Canadian "supporters" may have liked but being match fit hasn't helped Radzinski or most other Canadian players put any balls in the net.

13. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Hmm, I'm not sure. I do know that the Whitecaps seem to have some kind of interest in making Valente their "golden boy". He's not really a big leader on the field leaving many fans wondering why they named him captain. Since then they have been singing his praises, which in past years may have been more appropriate. I'm sure that the Caps must have talked Yallop into it.

14. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    It is definitely a different look but I think that this was to be expected, wasn't it? Give some of the B-pool players a look. It makes sense to me.

What Yallop needs is for some young guy to look great so that he can tout how bright the future looks and ask for the supporters to give him until next year's Gold cup...

15. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I remember reading in Inside Soccer (issue from earlier this year) that Valente is a player that Yallop said he wants to eventually get a look at.

Valente is now getting his shot, and we shall see if he can do anything with it.

16. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Men's World Cup Team
    Sunday, November 14, 2004
    Pozniak Replaces Valente On Roster

Canadian Men's World Cup team Head Coach Frank Yallop has selected Chris Pozniak to join the team in Guatemala for Wednesday's World Cup Qualifier.

Pozniak will replace midfielder Alfredo Valente.

Yallop attended the MLS Cup Final in Los Angeles today and will join the team in Guatemala this evening. The team will train together at 4:00 p.m. in Guatemala City on Monday.

(from CSA site, no reasons given)

17. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Perhaps Valente is devastated over the death of a former teammate and plans to attend the funeral?

18. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That would be my guess.