Canada, Mexico and United States will participate in the 2019 Copa America in Brazil

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Robert Borden, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  2. AriyaAsh

AriyaAsh New Member

LAFC
    United States
    Mar 11, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's interesting. I was under the impression that Copa America was essentially more of a South American tournament. I don't think it would hurt to have a few teams join the competition from other confederations. Looks like Chile has a lot to worry about in defending their title if this is the case!

3. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought South American fans didn't consider this a "real" Copa America with the inclusion of non Western Hemisphere countries?

4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I guess they figured that managing a 16 team tournament was more efficient than just 10

5. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Twelve. There have long been two invitees, one being Mexico and the other being someone else.

6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incredible! I would prioritize the Gold Cup, but we can easily field two rosters...

GOLD:
    GK: Steffen, Bono, Gonzalez
    FB: Yedlin, Lichaj, Garza, Polster
    DF: Miazga, Brooks, Parker, Glad
    MF: McKennie, Adams, Nagbe, Roldan
    AT: Pulisic, Saief, Arriola, Tillman
    FW: Weah, Wood, Sapong, Sargent

------------Wood------------------
    ------Weah-----Pulisic----------
    -Nagbe--McKennie--Adams--
    Lichaj----------------------Yedlin
    -------Brooks---Miazga--------
    --------------Steffen-------------

Bench: Bono, Parker, Garza, Roldan, Saief, Arriola, Sargent

COPA
    GK: Hamid, Klinsmann, Horvath
    FB: Chandler, Moore, Robinson, D. Acosta
    DF: Carter-Vickers, Opara, Palmer-Brown, Cameron/Besler*
    MF: Parks, Scott, K. Acosta, Williams
    AT: Amon, Lletget, Gooch, Corona
    FW: Johannsson, Novakovich, Dwyer, Siebatcheu

*It goes against my principles, but at this point, I'm not quite ready to see Zimmermann or Long; and the young guns could use some experience. So, Cameron or Besler take a spot.

---------Johannsson---Novakovich--------------
    Amon-------------------------------------------Lletget
    ------------Williams-----------Parks-----------------
    Robinson--------------------------------------Chandler
    --------------CarterVickers--Opara------------------
    -------------------------Hamid---------------------------

Bench: Horvath, Moore, Palmer-Brown, Scott, Gooch, Siebatcheu, Dwyer

ALTERNATES:
    GK Guzan, Miller, Johnson
    FB: Vincent, Villafana, Nerwinski, Cannon, Duncan
    DF: Zimmermann, Long, Hedges, Trusty
    MF: Trapp, Delgado, Kitchen, Stanko, Morales, Hyndman, Torres, Durkin, Lindley
    AT: Finlay, Rowe, Manneh, Fontana, Mines, Lennon, Carleton, Booth, Lewis, Sonora
    FW: Altidore, Green, Ramirez, Zardes, Rubin

7. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Would prefer more of a Euro and A team based roster for the Copa America. The gold cup is always played at such an awkward time for European based players, since it’s from early to mid July. Do Euro players rest after their seasons and then come in out of shape for the gold cup? Do they keep in game shape right after their Euro seasons, rest after the Gold Cup, but then return late to their clubs for the start of the season?

jjmack repped this.
  8. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t feel like Qatar knows what it’s getting into

9. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Thanks for the invitation, CONMEBOL. We - Canada, the United States, and Mexico - will gladly accept...if you give us your votes for WC 2026.

I don't like the use of metaphors from other sports in soccer discussions, but it's time for an inside pitch.

Hey, better that than the old British Columbia two-hander.

FC Tallavana repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Technically...
    ... they kinda do know what they are getting into since they are host of the next World Cup and they need to schedule as many competitive games as possible with no qualifiers due to their hosting duties.

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qatar played in the Gulf Cup in January 2013, November 2014, and December 2017. That would be like if Jamaica hosted some of a World Cup and played Caribbean Cup games (I know the Caribbean Cup ended).

12. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will the USA be able to call up its players based in Europe? Or will the US only be limited to MLS?

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That is the million dollar question.

Jamaica was able to call up competative teams for both the 2015 Copa America and 2015 Gold Cup.

I hope the US federation can figure this out in a similar fashion. And Personally I would send the best players to the Copa America since there really is no incentive to win the Gold Cup.

juveeer and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  14. ManuelRacing95

Racing Club
    Argentina
    Mar 5, 2018
    Honestly, I find it incredible that Concacaf teams worry more about the Gold Cup rather than playing the Copa America where the real champion of the continent is defined.
    Really, they'll never get better if they only keep playing in one of the weakest confederations.
    I'm not talking about unifying confederations cause I know you are afraid of not classifying to the World Cup.
    But at least we should unify the cup and play once every four years.

I really don't intend to be rude, but I think it is the small club mentality of Concacaf that doesn't let them progress.
    Instead of playing against the best even if you can't win you prefer to be champions of a cup that doesn't mean anything to the rest of the World.
    Really, here in South America we don't even watch the Gold Cup final, it is non existant.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    There are many factors that have gone into it. The Confederations Cup was put on a pedestal and that was an incentive to win the Gold Cup. Now there's rumors of that cup saying bye bye so that is not really a variable anymore.

Also the CONCACAF itself would put pressure on the USA and Mexico to bring their best players.

Also Clubs put pressure on the CONCACAF teams to just call up players for the Gold Cup and not the Copa America since it is the one FIFA designates as their continental competition.

So I can see how the attitude has developed but I can see it disintegrating with the way things are turning.

16. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the way the US's current Technical Director and Coaching search are going, that's looking like wishful thinking...

juveeer and TOAzer repped this.
  17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. ManuelRacing95

Racing Club
    Argentina
    Mar 5, 2018
    Interesting, yes I noticed that Concacaf teams give a lot of importance to the Confederations cup whereas for Europe and South America that is a second level cup.
    We give importance to the World Cup and the Copa America/ Eurocup.
    Those are the cups that we pay attention to.
    Confederations is ok but not that important.

But I can see why for Concacaf teans the confederations is so important, it is the only real tournament you get to play against the powerful teams apart from the World Cup.

I still think that we should have Copa America every four years unifying both confederations, Gold Cup should be discontunued if that happened.
    Mexico, USA and Costa Rica are better teams than Venezuela or Bolivia and add competitiveness to the tournament, and in a few years they could become contenders.
    That would also benefit the image of the tournament as a whole to the rest of the world and would be considered at par with the Euros.

Sactown Soccer, adam tash and jagum repped this.
  19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Chile went all in at the Confederations. Spain sent full teams in '09 and '13. Italy sent a full team in '13. Germany sent a scratch team in '17 as they wanted to rest their regulars. Brasil sent an understrength after having participated in the '14WC, '15CA, the '16 Copa Centenario, and '16 Olympics.

I'd like to see our coach use the Gold Cup as leverage to call in the Full Team's Euro-based players, for the Copa America--assuming there is no 2020 Copa.

20. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that Canada is in. Concacaf president is Canadian? 2026 North American bid?

Never mind then. Makes perfect sense.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Seems like this is part of securing the South American vote for 2026. If it’s not, it should be.

22. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Does the Copa America count as a cap-tie event for the invited teams? I think I recall reading that it doesn't, but that might've been bad information.

23. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then the whole world can watch the US players stand on the field in awe of Messi instead of actually trying to stop him like last time...

juveeer and adam tash repped this.
  24. ManuelRacing95

Racing Club
    Argentina
    Mar 5, 2018
    Lol yeah, that match was absolutely terrible for the US but I think they can do much better.
    They haven't played well the last few years to the point of not qualifying to the World Cup, that's clearly a step back from previous performances but I still think they are on time to change what they have to change.
    If they'll do it or not I don't know, but lots of things need to change for them.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The CONCACAF is too greedy of get rid of any Gold Cups.

In fact they are expanding it to 16 teams so they can make even more money.

juveeer and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.