Canada-Jamaica (WCQ) 08/20/08 Pre-PBP-Post Game (R)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by hodgkiss, Aug 13, 2008.

1. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So proud of us in the Stadium The Jamaicans were in their seats nice and quiet while we put on a show for our team and anyone watching on tv.

All we need is Grass to make BMO the permanent home for the NT because they won't get that kind of support anywhere else. Other Canadian Cities can take that as a challenge and hopefully for the sake of our NT and the game itself it is met. Montreal, the ball is in your court.

2. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They were alright, I'll give credit where credit is due. The ones in my section were pretty vocal but it was no contest when it came between us and them.

I agree, we haven't seen that kind of atmosphere for a cmnt's soccer match that I recall.

3. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

Looks like someone is bitter for dropping points to a team missing key players. Dont blame me for your teams demise at home.:D

Canada started this round the same way they ended the semi final round in 2000. ;)

4. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Doggie, the ball is coming into our court and better believe that it will sell out 15K.

I personally love BMO. But it needs to be grass. And then I would have no problem if every game was to be played their in regards to the Canadian NT.

5. *Injektilo

*Injektilo Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Hopefully they'll finally build the Waterfront Stadium in Vancouver, and Vancouver will show you how it's done.

(Not that the players would like the NT to play on the West Coast.)

6. DEFENCE_FIRST

DEFENCE_FIRST New Member

Aug 12, 2003
    T.O
    Club:
    Toronto
    Dobson should stick to commentating something he know somethjing about like Darts or Billiards. His knowledge of the game or lack thereof is ridiculous!

7. DEFENCE_FIRST

DEFENCE_FIRST New Member

Aug 12, 2003
    T.O
    Club:
    Toronto
    Jamaica put on a great showing. They shut down the Canucks (except Deguzman who ironically could be playing on the Jamaican team). I wonder what the away game will be like?

8. WizTilIDie

WizTilIDie Red Card

Jul 8, 2008
    uhh i wouldnt say they shut down the canucks..did they even have a shot besides the corner that was an own goal??

And i mean a real shot and not just a ball that onstad handled and they called it a shot...

was there a time where we thought jamaica was going to score on us?

Canada didnt perform well but they were far from "shut down"

9. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    I saw the highlights. You guys looked like you created a nice little atmosphere at BMO.

But you dropped two points at home to Jamaica.

It's nice to see that you're basking in the afterglow of having supported your team. But that team is suddenly in trouble.

You better do the business in Montreal against a tough Hondie team.

10. Cheeze

Cheeze Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Edmonton Alberta
    Watching the game at home I was a bit disappointed, De Guzman is good, but he needs more help, D-Ro or Radzinski should be more central and to support that Friend guy. Crap own goal... dropped 2 points at home, end of story it doesn't matter about the atmosphere. Canada will need a result against honduras at home (3pts, which wont be easy), a draw may leave them with only 2 pts after all their home games cuz they still have to play Mexico, which lets face it, will probably be 0 pts.

And another thing can we get better commentators on sportsnet PLEASE!!!! My mom can do a better job. All Craig forrest and Gerry Dobson do is bitch about the refs, IMO he wasn't that bad. Anyways getting my ticket to the Mexico game in Edmonton so hopefully it will be like -5 degrees out and mexico will not want to play so we can get one point. Ok make it -10 and Canada with 3 points.

11. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Not a big fan of either country, like them both, but if you are gonna use smileys and act all coy after what I have read in this thread then come and man up about the support. You're attitude/remarks/insinuations were shoved down your throat in that regard.

Pretty pathetic to act coy/smug about one issue in your favor now, and ignore one of your major points before the match, which you harped on.:rolleyes:

Pretty pathetic actually.

12. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Never. The second half was all one-way traffic in Jamaica's half of the field.

13. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Are you kidding? My comment was incredibly witty. You're just jealous.

Anyway; the Onstadt own goal was unfortunate. Footy's a funny little game and sometimes these things happen. The stiff wind that kept pushing the Jamaicans over was also rather unfortunate; the ref not being able to spot that was either sheer incompetence or the type of officiating that we've become accustomed to as Canadians competing in this ********ing region (I give you last year's Gold Cup semi-final).

I don't think there's any disputing the fact that Canada played quite well in the second half and really took it to Jamaica. Everyone but you seems to agree. If you weren't able to see that then I really can't help you.

The bottom line? Don't be so ********ing defeatist. There are still plenty of games to be played.

I hope that was remotely intelligent enough for you. :p

14. guppy

guppy New Member

May 19, 2007
    Aquarium
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nepal
    But Jamaica did have another good chance. I dunno if you guys missed it or what! Here, off a blog so you don't think it's just me:

55 minutes Free kick taking by Williams and he puts it right on target on the net and Onstad has to put a good save and gets the bar over the bar for a corner kick, the streamers have come down again.

http://canada.worldcupblog.org/1/second-half-blog-canada-vs-jamaica.html

And I think this is it about to be taken:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49334452@N00/2784710708/

15. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Blah, routine save in my opinion.

16. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    seconded, Onstad jumped away from what should of been a stand and grab ball.

17. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I couldn't believe he had let that in.

18. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000
    in soccer you have to play two halves. Canada found out that showing up for only half the game will not work. TFC could use this lesson too.

anyways, I still have faith, but it will be difficult. lets give it 3 games before we judge too harshly

19. wyly

wyly New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Calgary
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    reality is we're a minnow in the soccer world we dropped points at home to another minnow and are now in a deep hole...the only glimmer of hope for us now is that Honduras lost , there a slim chance for 2nd spot...

20. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not really, Honduras can be beaten.

21. wyly

wyly New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Calgary
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    sure but losing points at home to a country you should defeat puts us in a very deep hole, now Canada has to win points in hostile territory with questionable ethics of match officials....I don't believe we can do it, another slip up and we're done...

22. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000
    yup

23. hodgkiss

hodgkiss New Member

May 21, 2006
    Toronto
    i think everyone needs to take a pill and realize that all of these teams can be beaten on any given day. this will be a tournament of skill and luck as most soccer games are. we can take mexico and honduras in canada. and we can even beat or draw jamaica and/or honduras and if we play very well, we could take a point from mexico as well in mexico.

we have the talent to do it and and we are not out of this by any means.

24. Jogakanata

Jogakanata New Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Talent is not the issue never was, but coaching is a another issue

25. hodgkiss

hodgkiss New Member

May 21, 2006
    Toronto
    i think with dasovic and hart sitting beside mitchell, it becomes much more of a collaboration. which is good because he needs to listen.

but again, we have the talent. anything is possible. it's only one game and we have 1 pt. thats not so bad. and even if we were down in points a bit, i have complete faith in this team. they are much different then we have ever been before and they can do this.

i really believe they can own any team in concacaf.