Canada-Jamaica (WCQ) 08/20/08 Pre-PBP-Post Game (R)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by hodgkiss, Aug 13, 2008.

1. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ironically enough, the diving ratio was Jamaica 2:1 Canada.

2. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

I was at the game. You weren't so please; pretty please with a ********ing cherry on top; stfu.

3. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well maybe the US can have the aid of the ref to help slide them past again ya twat.

4. FigoIsGod

FigoIsGod Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Just two points from me.

1) Friend was isolated up front the whole game. Sad watching the long ball tactics when we're capable of so much more. Radz and DeRo pinned to the flanks is an awful tactic. Robby was alone up front and any time he got the ball, there were 3 or 4 Jamaicans all over him. Bringing on Gerba for Friend made no sense. Play with both at a time like that.

2) All this complaining would be moot if Onstad made a routine, simple play on that corner kick, and didn't cheat so bad. This is a 40 year old keeper making an amateur mistake on the international stage. You'll never qualify with clowning antics like that.

5. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    Joelzinho:

Seleção is spelled as I have just spelled it.

I'm just trying to help all of you tireless beautiful game proponents appear a little less silly.

6. Medic1849

Medic1849 New Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Orangeville, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Disappointing result.:(
    Great Crowd/atmopshere last night :)
    Crappy goal given up by Onstad (one of my favourite players) - must be better:mad:

A must win game against Honduras!! (aren't they all!)

7. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.

Oh really you guys couldn't beat our B+ squad at home :cool:

8. TFC21

TFC21 New Member

May 22, 2007
    Toronto Ribfest's
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    True that...somebody needs to tell our guys this is soccer not volleyball.

9. Phil Margonis

Phil Margonis New Member

Jul 8, 2008
    st catharines
    yeah disappointing result. it's an uphill climb to qualify now but i hope we do.

great atmosphere in BMO last night and very exciting game, 2nd half in particular. lots of chances by canada but Ricketts stood on his head to keep some of those out.

De Guzman was just great last night. he's truely a world class player

10. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So much for your jamaican home game tard.:rolleyes:

It should've been 3-0.

Brennan would have played left-back, no? In any case, even though Tommy-gun made a few mistakes, I would say he's better than Brennan overall.
    Relax, Onstad was solid for everything before and after that goal.

For being the first soccer game I have ever been to, it was f****** awesome. Being in the second row added to the experience.

As for the game itself, Jamaica didn't even have one legit scoring chance, the own-goal doesn't register in my opinion. Deguzman hitting the bar in the 87'th minute was also heart breaking. That would've been a photo finish had it went in. Canada's play was good as well. I've heard people saying they used alot of long balls, which they did. However, they were not 50-50 long balls, they were more like 100-0 long balls. Most of them were legit passes to people that were open so there wasn't much wrong with it.

All in all, even if it was just a tie, I think this game ushered in a new age for support and level of play in Canadian soccer.

11. TFC21

TFC21 New Member

May 22, 2007
    Toronto Ribfest's
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Totaly agree Canada was missing and sorely needed the big home crowd factor.

12. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What? I am going to forgive this behavior. Because clearly you just eat what Nike and any other media feeds you on Portuguese and in this case, Brasilian culture.

In Portugal and Brasil, Portuguese is spoken. In Brasil they use Seleção, in Portugal, while it being the exactly same word with the same pronunciation, we use 2 "ç". So it will be Seleçção...

Thank you for attending class.

Silly boy.

13. Jogakanata

Jogakanata New Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Who knows canada's formation from lastnight?

14. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000
    I have to disagree. It might be a significant change for Toronto, which is notorious for having a horrible sporting culture, but the rest of the country doesn't have this problem. Jamaica doesn't have home games in Edmonton.

anyways, there are a few things that I'd like to comment about the game

- atmosphere was nice, the U sector and RPB and the Jamaicans added a lot to it. Good stuff
    - refereeing was not responsible for the loss, but it was not up to standards. not exactly wolfgang stark, but its not Collina either.

- Its obvious that De Guzman is a special player, the best on the pitch and also the only Canadian (along with Di rossario) who continuously pushed forward. Leadership.

- I have a problem with how Canada went about the game. Jamacia crowded the midfield, and Canada couldn't respond. Long balls worked occasionally, but no plays were created through the midfielders. and the defenders don't have the quality to be able to move the ball forward.
    *** Jamaica pulled back and defended with 2 men more than Canada attacked with throughout the game, which usually is responded to by moving from a backline of 4 to one of 3. Instead Canada left 4 guys in the back to defend the lone Jamaican striker. It made no sense.

- I expected more from the team, but in the end the performance wasn't that bad. there's a long way to go though, cuz at this level Mexico and Honduras would destroy us.

15. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.
    Should've,could've but you failed to get the 3pts at home. Your opinion doesn't not register with fifa.;)

16. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    Falou.

Esquecí que tinha tanto portuga naquelle morro lá.

17. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Damn you Jamaica!

18. guppy

guppy New Member

May 19, 2007
    Aquarium
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nepal
    What about the free kick that Onstad had to deflect over the bar? He was sailing away from the ball and reached back.

They had the edge, ya, but they were not in command. They could have lost the game, actually. After the Jamaica goal, Canada became a little unhinged for a time. As well they always seemed on the verge of losing their cool and getting somebody sent off.

So far, Mitchell doesn't inspire confidence ... he had a long long run of losses and ties ... His only wins are against tiny islands and club teams. Martinique and St Vag. Wow.

Can they win a game against a good team? Still waiting.

19. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We need to win against Honduras...

20. *Injektilo

*Injektilo Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Whether I was at the game or not has no bearing on the fact that Canada needs to play better if they hope to advance. So unless you have anything remotely intelligent to say, you're the one who needs to "stfu".

21. *Injektilo

*Injektilo Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Friend did get some decent headers in, but he needs to aim them away from the GK.

But I didn't agree with subbing him out, I thought that was a mistake.

22. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And they didn't have a home game in Toronto yesterday.

23. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    They only had like 5 Thousand Jamaicans compared to the 15 k Canadian fans.... It was not a home game for Jamaica.

24. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Like I said, Jamaica did not have a home game yesterday.

25. Jamer

Jamer Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Scarborough
    Yeah, and the Jamaicans were so intimidated by the loud Canadian fans they were as quiet as fans at Leaf games.