Canada drops 3 veteran players before WWC qualifying

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by moog, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Fotopoulus uprooted her entire family to go, as did several members of the team... they were informed long before camp that it would occur and arrangements were made to assist them

2. donzerly

donzerly New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Toronto
    Not an apartment, according to the Star article linked to by Chargefan above, but a $6.5 million mansion - and Pellerud refuses to say how much rent he's being charged!

This really does stink. The CSA is taking private money from the owner of the 'Caps and using it to cajole national team players into playing for the 'Caps. How would you feel about this if you were the owner of another W-League team?

Also, now that we know the CSA is in bed with Kerfoot, how do we interpret in retrospect the little fiasco that happened last July when the Whitecaps' opponent in the championship final was not Charmaine Hooper's mighty New Jersey Wildcats team but the Ottawa Fury, whom the 'Caps trounced handily? How did the Vancouver team come to face the Ottawa team instead of Jersey?

Well, as Charmaine Hooper points out on her website (which Chargefan also linked to above) Even Pellerud exempted four Canadian internationals on the Fury team from callup to play an international friendly against the USA, so they could play for Ottawa in the divisional championship against the Wildcats - while at the same time insisting that Hooper and Karina LeBlanc of the Wildcats had to play for the national team and miss the match against Ottawa. That's how the underdog Fury managed to beat the favoured Wildcats for the first time all season.

The beneficiary of all this was the Whitecaps. Draw your own conclusions.

Personally, I think the RCMP should be called in to investigate.

3. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    She must have been one of the ones that backed out of her commitment to the Silverbacks

4. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    Atlanta, as in the Beat. She played a season with them the first year since it was asked about any other WUSA Canadians.

Amy Walsh plays for the Laval Comets in the W-League now.

5. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    defence, you quoted me and then replied to soccermum. did you have a reply to my post?

6. DEFENCE_FIRST

DEFENCE_FIRST New Member

Aug 12, 2003
    T.O
    Club:
    Toronto
    Thant reply was actually meant for you sorry.

7. DEFENCE_FIRST

DEFENCE_FIRST New Member

Aug 12, 2003
    T.O
    Club:
    Toronto
    Not to take away the validity of anyones claim here but I see some questionable points

2. THE FULL VERSION OF THIS STATEMENT EXPLAINS THAT HER HUSBAND QUIT HIS JOB. THEN THEY LEFT TO VANCOUVER TO "LOOK AT THE PROPOSAL"? WHY WOULD YOU QUIT YOUR JOB BEFORE FINALIZING SOMETHING THAT IMPORTANT....MAKES SENSE TO YOU PEOPLE?
    ALSO THE TIMING OF WHEN SHE RECIEVED THE CALL FROM LES MESZAROS LEAVES A LOT TO PONDER.

8. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP

I know, but the Silverbacks went after a lot of the former Beat players

9. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP

I have never known anyone who would say that Hooper is nothing other than truthfull. I have spoken with her from time to time when she was with the wildcats and the Well being of the NT is something she takes seriously

her place on the TEam was secure, she was the Captain, so she took Pellerud's word that he would get a job with the Whitecaps, they had to be there September 11th so 1 month to get everything ready to go is not so out of the question, there is a lot to do when you move like that. Meszaros would know what time the flight left since he was most likely in on the arrangements

10. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Here's what's posted on the Canada Soccer Association website:

Women’s National Team

Statement by the Canadian Soccer Association
    Tuesday, October 17, 2006

OTTAWA, ONTARIO - Three National Women's Team players, Charmaine Hooper, Sharolta Nonen and Christine Latham, have retained counsel and made certain allegations regarding their suspension from the national team. The Canadian Soccer Association(CSA) has retained counsel to look into the matter and advise them. As a result of the fact that this matter is now in the hands of legal counsel, the CSA has been instructed not to make any further comments.

Looks like everyone's lawyering up!

11. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    And I have two words for the Canada Soccer Association:

Pia Sundhage!

12. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    My 2cents:

I assume it exits a decision in the Canadian FA (or the part of which have the authority to decide on polices of Canadian Women’s Football*) to support the Whitecap’s at the cost of other Canadian teams? Supposedly as a strategy to strengthen Canadian Women’s Football*? If not the Canadian football* clubs should remove the board of the Canadian FA, or the board removing the Coach if it was his decision. A National coach or FA actively interfering on the side of one club team without proper authorization is a crime against football*.

*= I am European

13. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    One of which wasn't Amy. She was back in Quebec long before the Beat folded.

14. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    Yes, but the CSA doesn't care at all about the W-League which is U.S.-based.

The CSA has enough reasons for firing Pellerud: counselling a player to break a contract; his treatment of the players; lying to the media and presumably to the CSA. But no doubt they've heard the same accounts that the public has and they've decided to circle the wagons and defend Pellerud until this goes to court.

15. DEFENCE_FIRST

DEFENCE_FIRST New Member

Aug 12, 2003
    T.O
    Club:
    Toronto

This will be a total and utter waiste of tax payers money.

16. donzerly

donzerly New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Toronto
    ?? The CSA certainly seems to care about the Vancouver Whitecaps, who are part of the W-League (the current champions in fact). In particular, they care about using their authority and Kerfoot's secret cash donations to compel all the best Canadian players to play for his team, even if they have to tear up their contracts with other teams in order to do so.

What part of all that says the CSA doesn't care about the W-League?

17. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    Is interesting to note that Bob Birarda, the coach of the Whitecaps club is going to S.Korea as Pellerud's assistant.

funny, funny

18. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    He has been an assistant coach for a while

19. soccermum

soccermum New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Doesn't sound like the players are getting a lot of support from their team mates according to this article. If found it interesting that both players commenting play for the Whitecaps.

20. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    it was? my original post was:

i don't think you answered that specific question.

21. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    Now for the latest in this turn of events--Kevan Pipe, president of Canada's soccer association, was just fired today. Here's the announcement from their website:

"The Canadian Soccer Association Moves in a New Direction

The Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) announced earlier today that the Executive Committee has determined that a new course is necessary for the development of soccer in Canada.

In keeping with this resolution, the CSA Executive has decided to install new direction, and accordingly, Chief Operating Officer Kevan Pipe will be leaving the organization effective today.

“Canadian soccer is entering a new era and we felt, as an executive, it was time that the CSA embark under new leadership,” said CSA President Colin Linford. “This decision was extremely difficult and not taken lightly.”

The CSA would like to extend its highest appreciation to Mr. Pipe for his loyalty and devotion to the development of Soccer in Canada for the past quarter century."

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=2570

Any thoughts?

22. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    One can argue that due to Pellerud and Pipe's childdish behavior in retaliating against their 3 best players, it put Canada at a great disadvantage and costed them the Peace Cup. Wouldn't be surprised there will be more house cleaning yet.

23. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    There are so many positives for Canada in this game and all you can do is focus on the negatives. How pathetic.

24. DEFENCE_FIRST

DEFENCE_FIRST New Member

Aug 12, 2003
    T.O
    Club:
    Toronto
    Hardly think you can justify this...Canada has had their best results with the three players missing. Make no mistake I am not in anyway taking away from the skill set of the three however, if I may so boldly suggest that their absence if nothing else has sparked a string of wins from this new younger Canadian side. In fact if you want to compare apples to apples. The last time Canada played the US with Hooper the score line had a greater delta if memory serves correctly. To the logical observer this simply equates to advancement.

25. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    Believe what you want. The coach is toasted.