Canada at CONCACAF Gold Cup 2015

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Polygong, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I would strongly have preferred the scenario where we won last night and then the game against Jamaica would have the potential to render the Costa Rica game far less meaningful. :)

artielange84 repped this.
  2. Jcc21

Jcc21 Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    True but now i think the jamaica game is a must win. We can't go into the Costa Rica game needing a win to even have a chance to advance.

3. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well... because third place has a 67% chance of going through, it's possible that even a draw with CRC would get us through even with a loss to Jamaica.

That said, I'm still gunning for a win.

4. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I hope bekker has a better game if he starts cause I found he lost possession a lot

I'm happy stamatopoulos had a good game though, hopefully he stays in form, I thought de jong had a decent game.

I also think that the players are going to have to step it up a little more offensively though cause they didn't look too dangerous in attack IMO

5. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    --------------------------Stama--------------------------------

Ledgerwood -------- Jakovic ----Edgar--------------Morgan/De Jong

--------------------Piette----------Bekker/Straith--------------------

Osorio----------------------------------------------Teibert

Akindele

---------------------------Larin------------------------------------

Bekker could be Floro type of player so might be a chance we see him starting again. Both Osorio/Teibert can cut inside when necessary and both got good service. Akindele in the CF role would be good there... Who knows what Floro will choose to do next game but I can agree that Osorio and Teibert are to be played. Jamaica is a must win big time... Costa Rica will be tougher win to achieve... Win against Jamaica or go home I would think...

6. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I am disappointed and pretty upset after this game, and I don't have any relation to Canada :D. Awful performance, I expected way better appearance there.

7. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's unfortunate that the vast majority of Canada's athlete's go to hockey, especially since hockey is irrelevant in the world compared to soccer. It's going to be extremely difficult for Canada to make any strides in soccer unless that changes.

8. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Will have to pull some magic out of our arses against Costa Rica now.

9. primus_pilum

primus_pilum Member

May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    he game against el Salvador set the tone for me. No chance. I had a real problem with starting Straith, Becker, and Piette. I have a huge problem with starting Straith, De Guzman, Piette today. This was a must win, not an opportunity for Floro to experiment with the midfield. Straith has no control with his passes, same with Piette, and De Jong and Ledgerwood as well. I saw a lot of give aways, too many simple plays messed up, with these four spraying the ball every where. And the D! Turnstiled, and burned several times!
    I never expected much today, especially with it being 38C, and 65% humidity. However Jamaica is a team Canada will definitely be competing against for a spot in the Hex, so it looks like Canada wont make it that far.

My wish is that Morgan and Osorio start. The midfield should be De Guzman at DM, Osorio and Teibert the other two spots because they actually look to shoot on net. Wingers and the forward are fine, just unlucky. I don't know who could start at RB over Ledgerwood, but how could it be worse?

Bring back Holger Osieck!

10. SaintNdaCity

SaintNdaCity Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada needs a win tuesday in the worst way.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I hate to toot my own horn here but as I said ,this Group is very Even. It would not Surprise me to see any team Finish in first place or in last place. I think anything can still happen on Tuesday in Toronto.

Go Canada.

12. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Honestly its been worth it considering they're the best in the world. I don't think theyre ready to trade being best in the world in hockey to making strides in soccer. IMO as long as the MLS keeps growing Canada should benefit as well

13. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  14. Adam T

Adam T Member

Jun 26, 2006
    To be fair to the the team, with the exception of Trinidad and Tobago (and maybe Mexico, can't say for sure) no team has looked very good at this tournament so far.

Also, Floro has made some bizarre choices in not starting Osorio or Teibert.

Although I guess it's unlikely given his million dollar contract, if Canada does fail to advance beyond the group stage, hopefully Floro will be fired. In addition to making the odd choices I mentioned above, he apparently has a huge ego, and, although, he didn't say it, a major reason Will Johnson decided to remain with the Timbers is apparently because he and Floro don't get along.

Just so these comments aren't unsubstantiated, this is my source:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/footy-soldiers-1.223985 July 11 episode.

15. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I was hoping we'd get to play the QF against Stephen Hart's T&T. That would be a fun fixture! But at this point, scoring even one goal would be an accomplishment.

16. SaintNdaCity

SaintNdaCity Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gotta crawl before you walk, walk before you run.

17. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Canada and Jamaica both reach the WCQ Semifinals and the draw has the six Semifinalists who won in Round 3 all treated equally with two going into each Semifinal group, once Canada or Jamaica is replaced there's only a 1 in 5 (20 percent) chance the other one will be in the same group.

18. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's the one saving grace right now is that Costa Rica hasn't been performing very well either. Perhaps that combined with having the home ground support (and yes I believe that Canadian fans will outnumber Costa Rica fans) we stand a decent chance of pulling this one off.

19. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Costa Rica doesn't have a lot of ex-pats either in the US or Canada there's no reason Canadian fans shouldn't out number them

20. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's probably because Costa Rica is a very nice place and not a lot of people are in a hurry to leave.

Also, since Toronto has a pretty big Jamaican community, there will likely be a strong number of Jamaica fans who will be there for the first match and will stick around to cheer Canada on. As I've said before, I don't think that it's pure coincidence that Jamaica ended up in the group that had a match day in Toronto.

21. Adam T

Adam T Member

Jun 26, 2006
    I'd be happy if Canada just scored a goal.

22. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think your spot on. Which explains why El Salvador played Mexico in L.A., (The biggest Salvadorian community outside El Salvador lol).

USA played their games in New England, Dallas, and Kansas City.. more of a chance to draw an American crowd opposed to a city that is more multi ethnic.
    :laugh:
    The only games that don't make sense are the ones in group C.

23. Jcc21

Jcc21 Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's completely illogical and unlikely but I have some weird feeling that Canada's gonna win today and finish 2nd.

24. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    You can take Mexico almost anywhere in the US and get a decent draw. Concacaf has gotten really good at figuring out how to sell tickets

25. justink

justink Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Pan Am games are on in Toronto now. So, some Costa Rican, Salvadoran & Jamaican athletes and officials may take in the match.