Can y'all do me a favor?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by ggayle, Apr 7, 2005.

1. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make sure you direct some of this passion for the guys in blue.

Between the Donovan and Chivas bashing, I'm afraid some of you are forgetting that there's a team out there that needs to be cheered for. Don't get distracted from that.

2. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for that post! I even repped you (I very rarely even pay attention to that rep stuff)!

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean that this isn't enough rooting for the guys in blue? ;)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

4. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta be honest Goodsie, but I find Norman Rockwell paintings a little creepy. It reminds me of those Fascist and Communist propaganda paintings. The additions you made kind of made it a little too literal for me.

In other words, it's good art. Just not the response you were going for. :)

(and no I don't think it was Rockwell's intent to be that way, he painted what he knew, and this is my own reaction to it, not discussing it here, save it for the tailgate)

5. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    I so agree! I guess it helped that Landon was not my favorite Quake so I got over it so easily. Yes, let's cheer on our team, please!

6. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry.....but was that a "y'all" I'm hearing?

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you mean that it literally looked like the grandmother was serving a CD Chivas USA soccer ball and the head of their mascot? :confused:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

8. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    I appreciate the spirit, and agree, but I think it's making too big a deal out of some comments yesterday. Nobody said they were going to spend the entire match negatively focusing their passion on Chivas Lite. I cheer loudly for our side, all game. But there are going to be times to taunt Chivas Lite (or any other opponent) for diving or cheating, and there are going to be times to yell rude things at hacks like Thiago Martins (wait for it, it'll happen if he plays like he did against DCU).

I'm more concerned about the Quake "fans" who can't resist yelling mean stuff at our own players and coaches, like they could coach/play better than the folks on the field. If you could've heard some of the mealy-mouthed crap coming out of some fans towards the end of Saturday's match, you'd realize jerks like that are a bigger problem. Especially the lameasses who were calling Kinnear an "idiot" and a "punk" for not putting in Pwamme. So it's not just Donovan and Chivas bashing that's a problem, IMO.

9. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You gotta problem with "Y'all"?

Signed,
    Your resident Arkansan

10. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

You insult me my son.....in my own house....questioning the amount of passion I have for the San Jose Earthquakes.....:mad:.....The only thing I may lack would be vocal cords, not passion. My voice was at 75% by halftime vs NE.......25% by the 90th minute.....Passion was, and always will be 100%. I got 100% for the (bad) refs, 100% for the scum opponents, and I got 100% for blue!

11. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not at all....it reminds me of my Grandfather actually....Iowa!

12. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. :)
    Remember, I grew up across the river from Kentucky.
    They don't have to say they are, I've witnessed it first hand. There is a history of this with the Casbah. Something bad happens on the field, and for the rest of the game it's not about the boys in blue anymore. I've got no problem with negative chants, obviously, but I don't want it at the expense of cheering for the Quakes. The best supporters groups I've been a part of and or witnessed firsthand spent the majority, if not the entirety, of the game cheering for their team. In this case, I'm sensing a bit of an obsessiveness about these two topics that I felt I should address.

Maybe it's the San Jose fan's history of abuse that makes thing go sour so quickly. :) (please note the smiley people)

Swing by the CQ tailgate. I'll be happy to talk about my Rockwell interpretation then. (Where's my wine and brie?)

13. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that you take it personally, without a direct insult for me tells me that you feel a little guilty...

Tell me about your mother...

(ex-wife was a psych grad...shudder)

p.s. my voice ain't back 100% yet either.

p.p.s. okay y'all I got some volleyball to play and some paying work to do, I'll check in later on.

14. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

I am among the more viscious Donovan haters in this forum and I take great joy in bashing anything that is Chivas.....it was direct enough for me.

Rum & Diet Pepsi(equal parts)....my voice was back yesterday. :D

15. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geez, BM, I thought the people sitting on the west side would have a bit more brains than that and were at least real fans. Guess I was wrong. Sounds like a real bunch of jerks.

16. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Like I said, "some" of the fans. Less than 1%, probably, but enough to be annoying.

And if you're implying nobody on the East side yells derogatory stuff at some of our players and coaches, I call shenanigans.

17. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

I avoid the west side if at all possible.....there are a few sleeper cells of hardcore fans over there but I agree with BM, the rest either don't care or they want to coach from the stands. I think these boards are for critiquing the team....not the stands.....but that's me. My seats are on the east side and I wouldn't trade them straight up for Gold Seats. East Side is the best side!

18. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)
    You mentioned that your cheers are balanced. My post addresses those folks who's aren't. So you got no worries from me.
    (shudder) blech. I'll stick with tea.

19. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

I honestly can't say that i've heard it on the east side....I do however think it's a situation where people that have an inclination to do this, tend to sit where the coach and or bench can hear them. I've sat on the West Side 4 times in my life.....once was upper deck. All three times that I sat lower bowl....I heard Quake supporters bark out criticism to the Quakes. I can remember a few games where the Quakes were frustrating the crowd with the inability to pull the trigger and in that case you can hear the chorus of "SHOOOOOT" coming from everywhere.....I actually enjoy that......it's amusing....especially when someone finally does shoot, they get a mock-ovation.:D

20. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "To tell truth," not around me. They're screaming too loud at the ref to do anything else. Now if you were talking about the 1999 and 2000 seasons, that would be a definite. It was downright embarrassing.

21. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    At the CQ get-together a couple weeks ago, I heard one high-ranking CQ officer and another club member joking about how they always yelled crap at Ramiro. She claimed to sit in or around 130. I could've sworn you were standing there and were part of that conversation.

Regardless, LDB has a good point about proximity to the team benches affecting the likelihood of coaching or playing "suggestions" by fans.

22. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I know who you're talking about, BM. I've heard quiet bitching from said party, but I've got to say I never heard them going out loud during a game. Maybe they were and I was yelling at someone else. There was one year I had my seat over on the west (more toward the north) and one of the reasons I switched was the guy sitting near me: "You know, that DeRosario is a real poser," etc. etc. The first two years I was on the east side, I was often surrounded by that type of fan, not to mention the Galacterrhoid teenagers (I'm sure they were local, not from LA): "Oh, poor Cobi, I hope he's not hurt." Response: "I hope he broke his goddamned leg."
    There was a guy who sat next to me the last couple years: "That Donovan's the most overrated player in MLS." Annoying as hell, but he didn't yell it.

23. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Annoying ... but he was right ;)

24. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Ok....I admit it.....western conference finals vs KC......OT.....when DeRo beat his man in the box.....not just beat him......broke him off at the ankles with two good moves.....the defender now is on the ground and DeRo, instead of shooting, has to try one more totally un-necessary cut-back move and he dribbles into the guys arm and screams for a hand ball. I did yell at the top of my lungs "SHOOT THE F-ING BALL DeRosario!!!"

There.....I feel better now.:D

25. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I've felt that way myself, though I've never yelled it. That only happened once huh? I'm surprised....