Can We Keep SoB tickets off Stub Hub?

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by three20three, May 20, 2010.

1. three20three

three20three Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Narberth, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stub Hub already has 6 tickets in the supporter's section for the PPL opener on June 27th and people want a ton of money ($80-$200 per ticket).

http://bit.ly/a8FjhK

Can we set something up to help keep sales internal through SoB before they hit sites like stub hub? I already know of 1 or 2 games I can't make and would rather offer them to another SoB before some randoms on the internet.

I know people have a right to sell their tickets wherever they want, but I'd hate for some Sounders fans to pick them up and move into our section... :mad:

2. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been saying this for a while and it really bothers me.

3. sully127

sully127 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    138, C
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agree

Plus you have people from other teams or other Supporters' groups that may look to get in there ONLY to cause trouble.

4. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always thought that if you cared enough to buy a membership and tickets, you would actually care enough to do the right thing. Unbelievable.

5. sully127

sully127 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    138, C
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, you have to look at the financials of it. You could buy tickets in the opposite end for $400, or you could pay $35 for a SOB membership and then get Supporters' Secition seats for $275. That comes to $310. You're saving $90. If you're the reseller, you can make back the entire season with the profit you'd get from selling four tickets for the opener and maybe throw in the LA game or the friendlies or such to make your profit.

Its sad. If tickets get listed on StubHub, there should be a way to trace the row and seat to trace back the account they're under and have their SOB membership and possibly their season ticket plan revoked. It should be in either the STH agreement or the SOB bylaws.

6. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody check the spreadsheet we made? See if the tickets on StubHub (look at the comments for hints where the seats are), match anyone who filled out the spreadsheet.

Such as, the one says it's Sec. 134, Row D, 2 seats. The comments say they're on the aisle, but not which aisle.

7. sully127

sully127 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    138, C
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's this spreadsheet? I'll fill out my info in it. I've got four in 135 Row P

8. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can trace it back to the row, but most sellers dont list the seat. I think stubhub protects them too. What they should do is go to the team and get the data on all the founding members in that row and figure it out that way. Either way, I think any "SoB" selling their tix on stubhub for more than face value should be banished from the land of Zolo.

9. sully127

sully127 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    138, C
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't even think it is about profit. You need to be in a supporters group to be in the Supporters Section. As of now, SOB is the only recognized Supporters Group. StubHub maintains no means of verifying the purchaser's SOB membership; therefore, the transfer is not legit.

10. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said, the one in 134 does list them as "aisle" seats. The one side is a fence/barrier, so I'm assuming they are on the other aisle. For some reason I can't access the Spreadsheet right now, so I can't see if anyone lists their seats as 134, D, on the aisle.

12. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the really sad part is that the ones for 140, Row L, and the one seat for 134, Row E are listed for several games. So I guess profit was the name in the game for those?

13. sully127

sully127 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    138, C
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just added myself into the spreeshet. Is it possible to get a thread for that as a sticky (maybe a locked sticky) at the top of the SOB board? Would be nice to keep it up front so people will actually enter their stuff in and make it easy to get to know the neighbors and keep track of stuff like this.

Rember, though, our own information gathering isn't worth much unless the Union or the SOB acknowledge that this is, indeed, not allowed and that some form punitive action should be taken.

14. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true. Something should probably be mentioned, but there is little one can do about it. I did notice that someone put up their seats, right in the heart of Sec. 137 for the Toronto match! :eek:

15. three20three

three20three Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Narberth, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is such BS...
    I'm glad I'm not the only one bent out of shape over this.

Could we create a "members only" area on the SoB website where we could have a ticket exchange area?

My other thought is that whoever is selling the tickets on Stub Hub might not realize that BigSoccer.com exists and that SoB's are on this forum every second of the day. It might just take a general email announcement from one of the SoB royalty to let everyone know we want those ticket sales kept in the SoB.

16. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I have a feeling the people doing this, are doing so JUST to make some extra money and could care less what we think. Only thing that will change that behavior is the team doing something or like was discussed exile from the SOB so they can't get those tickets next season.

17. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully "royalty" was meant innocently :D

I know I previously put in the 'nack not to StubHub tickets and announced that if someone in your seats broke the code of conduct that could mean you losing your season tickets. Just not worth the risk, I'd think.

18. phillypride

phillypride Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like the idea of someone having supporters section seats just for the profit, but your specific objection isn't realistic. First of all, only the person with their name on the account needs to be an SOB. They could have a group of six tickets with only one SOB membership. Second, I think it's ok to give or sell (at face value or less) you tickets to a friend. I know I did that for the Dallas game so I could sit with the youth group I brought and not have my tickets go to waste.

19. phillypride

phillypride Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you sell your tix to another SOB for face value and the person using the seat breaks the code of conduct, do you still lose your season tickets?

20. sully127

sully127 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    138, C
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You make a good point, but I'm still worried about 2 things:

1. opposing supporters getting seats in our SS just to start trouble

2. Ned and Maud Flanders buy SS tickets on StubHub because they're cheaper, they have no idea what they're in for, and the make everyone else's life a living hell around them at the game.

(last game at the Linc, I was in the SS - what would be the last row at PPL - and had a group of really young kids w/ their parents seated in the row behind us who complained for a while that they couldn't see because we were standing - I wouldn't have liked it, but I'd have conceded and sat down, I guess, because they were REALLY young kids just looking to have fun at the game, but if I sat, I'm not seeing anything because the people in front of me aren't sitting)

21. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say yes to this. I believe that's the way most major sports work things. It doesn't matter if you give your tickets to the team's biggest fan. If they break the rules, the account holder is responsible.

22. oxfordcircle

oxfordcircle Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Northeast Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is a great idea. I am an SOB paid member, but my 7 game plan seats are in 133. I'm sure there will be a few instances this summer where I am feeling crazy enough to stand the entire game and would be willing to buy the occasional game in the river end. I would much prefer to buy directly from other SOBs though and under no circumstances would I buy ss tickets from stub hub.

23. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's smart. There will probably be plenty of SS tix available for face value on here if you just keep up to date.

24. Garmr

Garmr Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Creep in the corner
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously need to do something about this problem. For the opener v DC at the Linc, the seats next to mine in SoB land wound up StubHubbed to 2 douchebags in DC gear. At the second game those seats had 2 more folks that seemed completely disinterested in the game and kept their faces nose pressed to their blackberries for the match, not a peep outta them.

My seats are in 134, row F, 9-10 on the aisle. Seeing that 134 has at least 3 seats now on StubHUb and up for grabs has me a bit pissed. Fine and dandy if the people that wind up there are vocal supporters of the Union, but if they're opposing supporters or "ma n pa shouldagottenseatsatmidfield" that complain about the standing, chanting, language etc the whole match.......I'll be even more pissed.

25. three20three

three20three Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Narberth, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've only been a member since October and I don't remember seeing that in the 'nack. Although I think everything should be covered by rule #3 of the Code of Conduct.
    Selling your ticket to the other team would obviously be idiotic or obnoxious.